I'm hoping someone hires Gary Patterson away from TCU, that opens the door for Turner Gill (Fort Worth native) who is the Head Coach at Buffalo to get the TCU job

It's a no brainer to me that K State go after Patterson or Brent Venables (defensive coordinator at OU), they both played at K State....sure Snyder was a great coach be he is like 70 years old, not sure how long he will be able last

Gary Patterson has stated repeatedly he has no plans to leave TCU. His wife is from Ft Worth and that is the deal maker.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree a lot of teams have caught up, there are what like 15-20 jobs where a coach can win a national title, maybe 25? I think TN is one of those jobs, they can get the horses but I agree its not as good of a job as it was in the 90's or even early this decade, how LSU and Georgia were not better sooner I have no idea

Just to throw my 2 cents on this. In the 80's and 90's alot of the SEC/National Power houses were cherry picking the best players out of Louisiana, MS, and Georgia. When Saban came to LSU that was the first thing he told all of his assistant coaches, lock up the state and try to get a handful of national recruits. Basically the formula LSU has continued to use.

Its my understanding that High School football in Tenn is no where near the level that is is in TX, MS, LA, AL, and FLA; and I have read that Tenn's inability to cherry pick from these states is one of the main reasons their program is in the state it is.

Again, my 2 cents...

I am done with college football. I've had enough of Pete Fucking Caroll and Dirty Sanchez running up the score. It's not bad enough that the team I've cheered for for the past 25 years has it's boosters paying off ridiculous coaching contracts while getting drilled by teams who's boosters pay for their player's parents to live in mcmansions.

Thanks to the disappearance of the "student athlete" ND will never be able to compete with those "got a fucking pencil get the fuck in there" universities.

I am done with college football. I've had enough of Pete Fucking Caroll and Dirty Sanchez running up the score. It's not bad enough that the team I've cheered for for the past 25 years has it's boosters paying off ridiculous coaching contracts while getting drilled by teams who's boosters pay for their player's parents to live in mcmansions.

Thanks to the disappearance of the "student athlete" ND will never be able to compete with those "got a fucking pencil get the fuck in there" universities.

Wow. You really believe that Notre Dame's boosters are any cleaner than USC's?

As for "student athletes," you're probably looking at the graduation rate statistics. How do you know that Notre Dame doesn't create creampuff academic programs for its athletes? Sure, 94% of the football team graduates, but what are they really studying?

Notre Dame has a 24.5% acceptance rate for applicants, and the University of Southern California has a 25.3% acceptance rate -- less than 1% difference (and USC is twice the size of Notre Dame, and its location probably means it gets a lot more applicants, proportionately). They're both classified as "most selective" among universities. So why do 94% of Fighting Irish football players graduate, when only 54% of USC players do? I doubt it's because the Domers are smarter kids.

Wow. You really believe that Notre Dame's boosters are any cleaner than USC's?

As for "student athletes," you're probably looking at the graduation rate statistics. How do you know that Notre Dame doesn't create creampuff academic programs for its athletes? Sure, 94% of the football team graduates, but what are they really studying?

Notre Dame has a 24.5% acceptance rate for applicants, and the University of Southern California has a 25.3% acceptance rate -- less than 1% difference (and USC is twice the size of Notre Dame, and its location probably means it gets a lot more applicants, proportionately). They're both classified as "most selective" among universities. So why do 94% of Fighting Irish football players graduate, when only 54% of USC players do? I doubt it's because the Domers are smarter kids.

Yeah I guess I do.

I have to go on the information that has been put in front of me. A couple of years ago i watched Reggie Bush and his 1K diamond earrings push Hollywood Leinart across the goalline.

Maybe the ND boosters are as bad but I've not seen any evidence of it. Maybe they just aren't as blatent about it as USC is. I throughly enjoyed seeing Bush's picture in his USC jersey with the ice in his ears.

I am upset that I won't be treated to either the Buckeye$ or U$C in the championship game this year. How fucking depressing.

No Ohio State fans congratulating Oregon on sending Oregon State out of the Rose Bowl and letting tOSU back into a BCS Bowl?

Notre Dame beat us like 12 years in a row and there were a lot of terrible losses in that run, so USC fans (not me personally, since I became a fan my freshman year of attending the school) know full well what Notre Dame is going through right now, and I realize its not fun. On the other hand, I think saying things like "Hollywood Leinart" and "Diamond Earring Bush" or whatever just makes you seem like you're angry about things that have nothing to do with football.

It would be like me calling Charlie Weiss fat. Why not just call him out for having a bad offense instead of talking about his weight problem?

So OU and UT split the human polls so OU must've taken a pretty significant lead in the computers. FWIW the AP poll has UT ahead of OU.

1. Alabama (62) 12-0 1,620

2. Florida (3) 11-1 1,516

3. Texas 11-1 1,488

4. Oklahoma 11-1 1,480

5. USC 10-1 1,355

So OU and UT split the human polls so OU must've taken a pretty significant lead in the computers. FWIW the AP poll has UT ahead of OU.

1. Alabama (62) 12-0 1,620

2. Florida (3) 11-1 1,516

3. Texas 11-1 1,488

4. Oklahoma 11-1 1,480

5. USC 10-1 1,355

this has the full BCS standings, with the individual computer rankings.

I honestly feel bad for Texas, but both teams had very strong cases for going to the Big 12 Title game, and one of the teams had to win out. I would have gone with Texas, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

this has the full BCS standings, with the individual computer rankings.

I honestly feel bad for Texas, but both teams had very strong cases for going to the Big 12 Title game, and one of the teams had to win out. I would have gone with Texas, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Yeah, the bad guys won out.

Nothing makes me sicker to my stomach than seeing Oklahoma with a chance for a National Championship in a year in which we beat them and finished with the same record. Proponents of the BCS talk about the regular season being the playoff. Only as long as you don't lose late. And it doesn't matter that you beat the team that is a few hundredths of a point ahead of you.

That's a laugh.

Any program that Lou Holtz has had his hand in is/was/will be dirty as sin.

They can deny it all they want, but as long as a coach beats SC, they don't care about anything else.

Ha you would think that, but they've actually been talking about it for a couple weeks now. Just before the game they were talking about hiring him.. It's not just beating SC, but landing a spot in a bowl game.. And just revitalizing the team overall. Yeah, there's guys out there with more experience and better resumes who could get the job, but Dabo has just breathed life into the team again.

Sorry to rub it in, but that was just a special victory for the Tigers.. It's been a rough season to say the least, and it was especially great for the seniors (James Davis, Cullen Harper) to get that last victory in Death Valley.

Yeah, the bad guys won out.

Nothing makes me sicker to my stomach than seeing Oklahoma with a chance for a National Championship in a year in which we beat them and finished with the same record. Proponents of the BCS talk about the regular season being the playoff. Only as long as you don't lose late. And it doesn't matter that you beat the team that is a few hundredths of a point ahead of you.

Well to be fair, it isn't eh BCS's fault that the Big 12 uses them as the tie-breaker. It's the Big 12 that is ignoring the head-to-head match-up in determining its South Division champ.

Well to be fair, it isn't eh BCS's fault that the Big 12 uses them as the tie-breaker. It's the Big 12 that is ignoring the head-to-head match-up in determining its South Division champ.

I understand that. And I can almost guarantee that the Big 12 will change this to mirror what the ACC and SEC do to break similar ties.

How do they do it?

From the ACC website:

7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the conclusion of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC Championship Game.

From the ACC website:

7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the conclusion of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC Championship Game.

Gotta admit, that sounds reasonable to me. FWIW, though (and my brother lives in Austin and is a huge UT fan, so I'm biased towards the Horns), I do think this that RIGHT NOW, the Sooners are playing better football. I think if that game was played next weekend (how much better would that Big !2 Championship be!?!), the Sooners would roll.

I agree that the Big 12's tiebreaker is loony, but I don't think the SEC's is any better, because it still uses the largely-subjective BCS rankings to throw out the third team. I think they ought to go to some kind of point-differential among the tied teams, with a reasonable cap to discourage RUTS. The further they get from on-the-field results among the tied teams, the loonier the tiebreaker gets. They need to find some objective way to break ties without letting coaches and whoever picks up the phone when the Harris poll calls make these decisions.