Isn't a playoff kind of arbitrary as well? Sure it determines who was better on THAT DAY, but is the entirety of the season not important? I am NY Giants fan, but if they played a 7 game series against the Pats last season, I bet they would've been beaten in 5 or 6 games. Was George Mason's basketball team a better team than UCONN in the '05-'06 season? Any team could PERHAPS beat any other on any given day and every team can't play each other, so where do you draw the line? Eight team playoff? So who are the eight teams? Conference champions? If that were the case this year, wouldn't Florida and Alabama be best served by sitting their starters this week in preparation for the SEC Championship rendering traditional rivalry games like AL/Auburn and FL/FSU meaningless? There is no perfect solution and I'm pretty happy with the way the BCS turns out MOST of the time.

I kind of agree with this.

An 8 team playoff would make for 7 awesome games, but might lessen the thrill of OU/Texas, Florida/Alabama and other conference showdowns.

This all, to me, emphasizes how critically the voters should weigh head-to-head games.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's the point. Everyone can't play each other, so SOME assessment needs to be made as to who the best teams are. Give me eight teams right now that based on nothing but head-to-head match-ups would qualify for your playoff. It can't be done, so the BCS is at least an effort to make the season itself a playoff while recognizing that everyone can't play each other and everyone's schedule isn't equal.

At some point there has to be some level of arbitrary picking of teams. But it just makes more sense to let 8 of them play it out rather than 2 of them. The more teams actually play, the lower the level of arbitrariness (is that a word?). You have to cut it off at some number for the sake of practicality, but that doesn't mean that some attempt shouldn't be made. The BCS is an improvement over the old system where voting decided everything, but a playoff would still be a huge improvement on that.

Until this conversation on this thread, I wasn't aware that anyone other than the bowl sponsors or the AD's of major conference schools preferred the BCS to a playoff. Wow.

I don't have a favorite team in the Big 12 South. I'm a Kansas grad.

I have some friends who went to KU, I was very close to actually going there, Lawrence is an amazing party town, Mass street is fun

Since they now play 12 games, why is the bowl eligibility requirement still 6 wins? You went .500 here's a bowl game!

I hate it too, there are just way too many bowl games too, there should be like 5-10 less, with a 12 game schedule you should have to win like 7-8 to make a bowl, making a bowl use to mean something now coaches get fired if they dont make a good enough bowl game, WTF

Just heard on the radio: "Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron headed to Tennessee December 1."

Edit: This could be a bunch of bullshit. Dude that's reporting it is sort of an idiot.

I think Tennessee should try and get Mike Leach or Brian Kelly (Cincy) but Kiffin is an interesting hire, him and Orgeron are excellent recruiters and Tennessee is a really good job, Kiffin might be better off being an OC for 2-3 more years and then going for a head coaching job, he is still really young and a job like Tennessee might be a little out of Kiffin's league right now, Orgeron is an excellent D Line coach though that would be a good hire as a DC for TN

I think Tennessee should try and get Mike Leach or Brian Kelly (Cincy) but Kiffin is an interesting hire, him and Orgeron are excellent recruiters and Tennessee is a really good job, Kiffin might be better off being an OC for 2-3 more years and then going for a head coaching job, he is still really young and a job like Tennessee might be a little out of Kiffin's league right now, Orgeron is an excellent D Line coach though that would be a good hire as a DC for TN

No doubt Orgeron is one hell of a recruiter - just keep the playbook away from him.

There is really no reason for Tennessee to not be in the top 10-15 every year, thats a great job one of the 10 best in America probably, if they are smart about their hire they will be back in the BCS picture in three years, heck throw Saban or Petrino lots of money, sorry I had too haha

At some point there has to be some level of arbitrary picking of teams. But it just makes more sense to let 8 of them play it out rather than 2 of them. The more teams actually play, the lower the level of arbitrariness (is that a word?). You have to cut it off at some number for the sake of practicality, but that doesn't mean that some attempt shouldn't be made. The BCS is an improvement over the old system where voting decided everything, but a playoff would still be a huge improvement on that.

Until this conversation on this thread, I wasn't aware that anyone other than the bowl sponsors or the AD's of major conference schools preferred the BCS to a playoff. Wow.

Well I think a lot of people haven't thought it through to be honest with you. Not you necessarily, but you still haven't told me how you would pick the 8 teams. I have yet to hear a system for picking the 8 teams that is any more fair or less arbitrary than the BCS and doesn't make sacrifices to the meaningfulness of the regular season. And, as I said, I don't necessarily agree that more teams=less "arbitrariness" (see my George Mason example above).Plus I like the debates the BCS sparks.

There is really no reason for Tennessee to not be in the top 10-15 every year, thats a great job one of the 10 best in America probably, if they are smart about their hire they will be back in the BCS picture in three years, heck throw Saban or Petrino lots of money, sorry I had too haha

Is it really that great of a job still? Debatable.

half the jobs in the SEC are great jobs IMHO

-Florida

-GA

-LSU

-Tennessee

-Bama

-Auburn

Arkansas, South Carolina, and Miss State are pretty good jobs as well

Well, it's a good job because it's in the SEC, but it's not elite like it used to be. A lot of teams have caught up. I think UT is the new Miami.

I wouldn't want it. You have to listen to a bunch of drunk wahoos sing "Rocky Top" all the time.

Amen. The splitting of the 'T" is one of the coolest things I've ever seen though.

Well I think a lot of people haven't thought it through to be honest with you. Not you necessarily, but you still haven't told me how you would pick the 8 teams. I have yet to hear a system for picking the 8 teams that is any more fair or less arbitrary than the BCS and doesn't make sacrifices to the meaningfulness of the regular season. And, as I said, I don't necessarily agree that more teams=less "arbitrariness" (see my George Mason example above).Plus I like the debates the BCS sparks.

If you don't use conference champions, it will never happen. Every conference (the big six) has to get its share of the money. Because of this, and in the interest of fairness, I think the best way would be to have a 12-team playoff, which would ensure high-ranking teams from Non-BCS conferences would get in. The problem there, though, is that leads to a four-week playoff, which I think most people are trying to avoid.

In any kind of playoff, you would almost have to get rid of conference championship games, but what conference wants to do that? Or go back to an 11-game season, but what school wants to give up that extra revenue.

If you kept everything the same, there's a good chance that a team ranked 4, 5, or 6 would miss out on the 8-team playoff.

Either way, I don't think the regular season is devalued any with the addition of a playoff. A loss could potentially be devastating to your chances and a second loss would almost kill you, unless you were still able to go out and win your conference.

I do agree a lot of teams have caught up, there are what like 15-20 jobs where a coach can win a national title, maybe 25? I think TN is one of those jobs, they can get the horses but I agree its not as good of a job as it was in the 90's or even early this decade, how LSU and Georgia were not better sooner I have no idea

If you don't use conference champions, it will never happen.

Agree.

Either way, I don't think the regular season is devalued any with the addition of a playoff. A loss could potentially be devastating to your chances and a second loss would almost kill you, unless you were still able to go out and win your conference.

Disagree. See my above example about how with FL and AL already clinched their SEC Division. In a playoff system that featured the Conference Champions, they would be stupid not to sit starters for most of their game this week in preparation for the SEC Championship Game. And those games are huge rivalry games that are a big part of what makes NCAA football special.

Disagree. See my above example about how with FL and AL already clinched their SEC Division. In a playoff system that featured the Conference Champions, they would be stupid not to sit starters for most of their game this week in preparation for the SEC Championship Game. And those games are huge rivalry games that are a big part of what makes NCAA football special.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that scenario because it hasn't happened very often where a team or teams have sewn everything up so early. And something would be lost if those games didn't mean anything.

EDIT: Although I would add that a loss by Alabama or Florida in either situation would certainly be bad for the loser of the SEC Championship game. For example, if Alabama beat Auburn but lost to Florida, with its one loss, it would have a good chance of still making the playoff, whereas two straight losses would definitely knock them out of contention.

I'm hoping someone hires Gary Patterson away from TCU, that opens the door for Turner Gill (Fort Worth native) who is the Head Coach at Buffalo to get the TCU job

It's a no brainer to me that K State go after Patterson or Brent Venables (defensive coordinator at OU), they both played at K State....sure Snyder was a great coach be he is like 70 years old, not sure how long he will be able last