He IS a great recruiter, but it's hard to not wonder if he's doing anything shady. I mean, he's got the #1, #2, and #3 rated kids leaning towards Memphis, along with 3 other 4-star athletes. What's he doing to get the absolute cream of the crop?!

I only think Henry might choose Kansas, as he came very close to coming to KU, and his family went to school there. Maybe he'd like his chances of going further in the NCAA tournament in 2010 with Kansas rather than Kentucky.

I'm hearing Missouri is doing all possible to keep Mike Anderson. Would Memphis be a better job than Missouri?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He IS a great recruiter, but it's hard to not wonder if he's doing anything shady. I mean, he's got the #1, #2, and #3 rated kids leaning towards Memphis, along with 3 other 4-star athletes. What's he doing to get the absolute cream of the crop?!

I only think Henry might choose Kansas, as he came very close to coming to KU, and his family went to school there. Maybe he'd like his chances of going further in the NCAA tournament in 2010 with Kansas rather than Kentucky.

I'm hearing Missouri is doing all possible to keep Mike Anderson. Would Memphis be a better job than Missouri?

Lets say he is clean. Only way I can see this is that he tells the high level recruits that if they are one and done that's fine with him? Some schools would shy away from this. I think.

No way Memphis is a better job than Missouri. Anderson has already been in CUSA once before. I wouldn't think he would take a step back. Also, he would have to live in this shit hole.

The John Calipari era is over at the University of Memphis. Apparently, Calipari could not resist the lure of what he calls 'the Notre Dame of college basketball.' He has rejected the counteroffer from Memphis and will sign on and be introduced as the new Wildcats' head coach as soon as late this afternoon.

Local media also says Roburt Sallie will transfer.

Villanova: Is their coach gay? He just looks too good and dresses too dapper. "V for Villanova"?....how about "V" for Wright's suits make me Vomit.

If this is even 4% serious, your status as a douchebag has been solidified in my heart. The end was funny, but you probably could have left that first part off.

If this is even 4% serious, your status as a douchebag has been solidified in my heart. The end was funny, but you probably could have left that first part off.

Everybody knows that only gay men try to look good and dress dapper-ly.

Some gay people are known to have a flair for how they dress. I'm not gay-bashing if that's what you're implying.

I'll surely be among many when I go see Morrissey, and unless any of them pinches my butt or sticks a tongue in my ear, I will enjoy every minute of it.

I'm afraid to ask why I'd be considered a douchebag outside of this...

Good thing in the random bracket that I picked that I forgot about I'm A. #1 in the bracket and B. have the most PPR, unlike my ESPN one with 0 PPR. :(

I'm rooting for MSU-UNC final, and from there frankly I don't care who wins. I have UNC winning but I'm pulling for MSU for the whole home-court dealio.

Some gay people are known to have a flair for how they dress. I'm not gay-bashing if that's what you're implying.

I'll surely be among many when I go see Morrissey, and unless any of them pinches my butt or sticks a tongue in my ear, I will enjoy every minute of it.

I'm afraid to ask why I'd be considered a douchebag outside of this...

You implied that you didn't like the guy because he was gay and dressed well. Outside of this instance, I don't find you objectionable at all. Carry on.

Do you mind copying and pasting the text? Websense doesn't like something on that page. It could be because it is a KY website. :lol

Our Websense didn't object to it. Weird.

Posted on Tue, Mar. 31, 2009

Calipari needs a thorough vetting

Mark Story | Herald-Leader sports columnist

An open letter to University of Kentucky President Lee Todd:

Re: What appears to be the impending hiring by UK of John Calipari as its men's basketball coach.

The present athletics administration at the University of Kentucky has never seemed especially adept at conducting thorough background checks on major coaching hires.

In 2002, Kentucky found itself on NCAA probation in football. Yet UK went out and hired a new football coach (Rich Brooks) without even checking to see whether that coach had a history of NCAA violations in his past (he did).

Then, in 2007, Kentucky was seeking to fill its men's basketball head coaching position. Which only happens to be one of the most high-profile jobs in all of American sports.

In filling this vital public relations-oriented job, UK's background check failed to identify that it was offering the position to a prickly introvert (Billy Gillispie) prone to extreme mood swings.

Given the past performance, Dr. Todd, you'll forgive me for being skeptical that the background check UK will run on John Calipari will actually ask the questions that need to be raised.

So, Dr. Todd, let's address some of the questions you better have asked of Calipari before giving him the keys to our state's signature college sports program.

Question One: Who is William "Worldwide Wes" Wesley and what role does he play in Calipari's recruiting?

The short answer is that Wesley is a behind-the-scenes figure believed in recent years to have "steered" high-profile recruits Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans to Memphis.

Wesley's ties to Calipari go back to the recruitment of former Memphis star Dajuan Wagner (the son of former Louisville player Milt Wagner). Wesley was Dajuan's godfather.

"Worldwide Wes" is one of the more enigmatic figures in all of basketball. Nobody seems to know what exactly to make of him.

In June, 2006, GQ magazine ran an article on Wesley headlined "Is This The Most Powerful Man In Sports?"

He's said to be a Detroit-area mortgage broker. "Worldwide Wes" pulled Ron Artest out of the "Malice in the Palace" fight. He is also said to be tight with Michael Jordan and LeBron James.

The general consensus in basketball circles seems to be that "Worldwide Wes" uses his influence to get in with young, star basketball players for the benefit of Nike.

In GQ, Calipari is quoted as saying that "Worldwide Wes" is a "goodwill ambassador to the University of Memphis program."

Now, maybe there is nothing wrong with this relationship. Or maybe "Worldwide Wes" and his tie with Calipari are the next big recruiting scandal waiting to explode.

With your legacy at UK at stake, Dr. Todd, are you sure that's a risk worth running?

Question Two: What kind of discipline exists inside a John Calipari-run program?

You'll recall in 2002, Dr. Todd, all the local angst that was created during the Team Turmoil season.

That season, Kentucky had two players get in a fight (over a girl, apparently) on the team plane and two underage UK players get busted for trying to use fake IDs to get into a local club.

It all had the locals in a tizzy.

Well, compared to what's gone on among the players at Memphis, that kind of stuff seems quaint.

In 2005, a Memphis reserve was charged with soliciting a prostitute.

Two UM players were charged in September 2007 with inciting a riot and disorderly conduct outside a Beale Street night spot (source: ESPN.com). The charges were later dropped after the two completed an eight-week anger management program.

A Memphis player was accused in Feb., 2008, of hitting his ex-girlfriend (with an open hand) in an early-morning confrontation (source: Feb. 7, 2008, Associated Press). The charge was later dropped.

When Calipari took his team to Alabama-Birmingham after the latter incident, a fan held up a sign that read, "at UAB, we beat Memphis, not our girls."

When the Kentucky Wildcats go on the road in future seasons, Dr. Todd, are those the kind of signs you want to see?

Question Three: What exactly is the relationship between Calipari-coached players and agents?

As is well known, Calipari's 1996 Final Four team at Massachusetts was forced by the NCAA to "vacate" its tournament results because star center Marcus Camby was being paid by an agent.

Calipari's sympathizers always point out that the coach was not found personally culpable in the UMass scandal.

Which is true.

But wouldn't you think a coach who had been "victimized" by such a scenario would be especially vigilant that another such case not happen on his watch?

In a lawsuit that was filed and then quickly withdrawn in 2006, a would-be agent alleged he paid almost $50,000 (source: Nov. 21, 2006, Memphis Commercial Appeal) to former Memphis forward Shawne Williams when the star was playing college basketball.

The would-be agent was apparently (and understandably) miffed when Williams signed with a different representative when it came time to start his pro career.

After the suit was dropped, no consequences were forthcoming.

But, Dr. Todd, you might want to ask yourself if there is a pattern at work.

In fact, you might want to ask Calipari why the Memphis Commercial Appeal asked in that same Nov., 21, 2006, column why a man "with known connections to agents" was "regularly showing up at practices" during the 2005-06 Memphis season.

We'll end, Dr. Todd, with some questions you ought to be asking yourself.

Like what is the all-fire hurry in this coaching search? After Billy Donovan said no the last time, you rushed and made a colossal hiring mistake.

Now, you are flirting with hiring a coach whose background screams out for a thorough investigation, and it appears you are closing the deal in three days.

You do remember, Dr. Todd, that you are the president of the University of Kentucky? That's the Kentucky that got a one-year suspension in men's basketball in the 1950s; was on probation in football in the 1960s.

That's the Kentucky that hit the daily double of cheating by being on probation in both football and men's basketball at the same time in the 1970s. The Kentucky that had a different kind of daily double in the 1980s with not one, but two embarrassing men's basketball scandals in the decade.

Then, as the late 1990s turned into the 2000s, Kentucky got itself on probation again in football.

Back then, Dr. Todd, you talked often about being the president who was going to end UK's cycle of one major sports scandal a decade.

Is the hire you are about to make consistent with that goal?

Kentucky's choice isn't hire John Calipari or never win big again.

There are several coaches who I believe are available right now — Sean Miller; Travis Ford; maybe Thad Matta or even the best coach in the country, Tom Izzo — who are capable of winning at Kentucky at the level UK wants to win.

No, Dr. Todd, the question here is whether Kentucky is back to trying to win at all costs or whether it is going to try to win with honor.

If it's the latter, Dr. Todd, can you really hire John Calipari?

Sooie,what's your take on that ... are we being too paranoid?

I dunno. UK has a big reputation to uphold. I think it's fair to be concerned. I think the writer is just writing something differ from the circle jerk.

I've never been a Calipari fan mostly because Memphis thinks they are something now, not because of the sleeze factor.

Apparently, Fred Smith has gotten involved, and they are coming up with a plan to match UK's offer with cash + STOCK OPTIONS. WTF?

I'm sure this will make FedEx employees who took a company wide %5 pay cut happy.

Full practice day in Detroit. I wish I could get in to watch. Its funny to watch them try and clean up very specific parts of Detroit. The route from the airport to downtown, parts of Woodward. There's one empty store front that they're covering with Post-it notes. They did the same thing for the Superbowl. Big weekend in Detroit. And we need it. No hotels rooms left.

Rumor: Jamie Dixon to Arizona. Jaff Capel possibly to Virginia, Sean Miller to Pitt.

Capel vs. Coach K. That would bring a little interest to the ACC. snoring at the moment.

Dixon looks like one of the bad guys on The Goonies.

Capel vs. Coach K. That would bring a little interest to the ACC. snoring at the moment.

Dixon looks like one of the bad guys on The Goonies.

Rumor has been snuffed.

UVA hired Wash St's Tony Bennett.

No kidding. Tom Izzo is a good choice. Travis Ford too. Ford wouldn't cost as much either. When was the last time Kentucky had a decent team anyway? They act like they are being tortured by the basketball gods and the only way to overcome it is too pay a shit ton of $. I guess it is a different culture. I am just used to MU getting by and having a few glimpses of hope.

Rumor has been snuffed.

UVA hired Wash St's Tony Bennett.

Oh well, rather keep Capel in the Big 12.