• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent win for Mizzou.

The only exciting game all night, except for the last minute of the Pitt game. The MU - Uconn matchup will be a good one.

I should not have had that much faith in Duke.

Second that. I picked them because I hate them. They got stomped.

Mike Anderson will come back to arkansas some day.

Hope they have $$$. Maybe the Walton fund will help.

I should not have had that much faith in Duke.

Duke relies too much on outside shooting, they have for several years now and it kills them at tourney time. You need soem balance between, outside shooting, inside play, penetration and midrange and they just have the wrong mix of it to win. It's why I took Villanova to win that one.

I may have to watch this. This kid is from here in town, and attends my alma mater. It'd be cool to see a Division III player take down the big boys.

from Grinnell News Online:

Grotberg chosen to participate in ESPN 3-Point Championships

Those familiar with Grinnell College men's basketball already know about John Grotberg's prowess as a 3-point shooter. Now he'll show those abilities to an even bigger audience.

Grotberg '09, a guard from Ann Arbor, Mich., has been chosen as one of eight men's participants in ESPN's 21st Annual College Basketball 3-Point Championships. The event will be held Thursday, April 2, in conjunction with the NCAA Tournament Final Four at The Palace of Auburn Hills, home of the Detroit Pistons.

Initial indications show Grotberg, who set the NCAA record for career 3-pointers regardless of level with 526, will be the lone Division III participant in the 3-Point Shooting contest. For the second season in a row, he leads the nation in scoring and 3- pointers per game with 31.0 and 6.2, respectively. He also ranks seventh nationally in steals per game this season with 3.3.

Grotberg finished his career as the D-III's third-leading and Pioneers' all-time leading scorer with 2,848 points, a 29.7 point per game average. His efforts in 2008-09 helped Grinnell earn a share of the Midwest Conference regular-season title.

The 3-Point Championships will be shown on ESPN on April 2, beginning at 8 p.m. Central time following the NIT championship contest.

So far, so good. I have two 1's and two 3's going to the final four, all of whom are still in.

In related news, WE GET A NEW COACH ! ! The headline today was "Not the Right Fit", which I think pretty much sums it up. Coaching Kentucky really is about more than just wins. Those help, too... but it's a lot of P/R as well.

MSU-Louisville was good...until the second half. In one of my brackets I called it, and I shot up to 2nd from last (granted, of 6) because I called that game. The bracket where I called the opposite? Only 80 PPR, I'm screwed totally. Oh well. UNC-OU also looks like a boring game.

I'm in Big 12 country, so could give a rat's ass about the Final Four teams:

NC: Hansborough's great, but SO annoying. What do they have, like 8 McDonald's All-Americans? They're back in the Final Four....big deal.

Villanova: Is their coach gay? He just looks too good and dresses too dapper. "V for Villanova"?....how about "V" for Wright's suits make me Vomit.

UConn: Yay. Another Big East team. Missouri coulda/shoulda beat them.....I'm not impressed by Thabeet.

Michigan State: Their tough. I like them. But this is 5 out of the last 11 years in the Final Four....Kansas had them 5 down with 3 minutes left, and the Spartans somehow escaped.

I'm in Big 12 country, so could give a rat's ass about the Final Four teams:

NC: Hansborough's great, but SO annoying. What do they have, like 8 McDonald's All-Americans? They're back in the Final Four....big deal.

Villanova: Is their coach gay? He just looks too good and dresses too dapper. "V for Villanova"?....how about "V" for Wright's suits make me Vomit.

UConn: Yay. Another Big East team. Missouri coulda/shoulda beat them.....I'm not impressed by Thabeet.

Michigan State: Their tough. I like them. But this is 5 out of the last 11 years in the Final Four....Kansas had them 5 down with 3 minutes left, and the Spartans somehow escaped.

Hansborough wasn't so hot yesterday.

Memphis Commercial-Appeal is now reporting that Memphis has granted permission to Kentucky to talk to John Calipari about its head coaching position.

University of Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson released a statement that said he had been contacted by Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhardt and has granted Barnhardt permission to talk to Calipari about the coaching vacancy.

"We have given Kentucky permission to talk with John (Calipari) about their position," Johnson said in the statement. "However, I will tell you that we are elated with the job John has done as our head coach and we will do everything in our power to retain his services at Memphis."

The way this has worked in the past few years, is that this is the final piece of the puzzle. Minnesota didn't actually ask for permission to talk to Tubby Smith until it had received assurances that Smith would take the job if offered. Guessing it's the same thing here.

From the local sportswriter page here in Lexington...

From the local sportswriter page here in Lexington...

If UK gets cal, they jump to having the number 1 recruiting class in the country. Cal has 3 of the top 5 recruits in the nation committed, and they will all follow him.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11569528

Calipari deal with Kentucky 'close, but it's not quite done'

March 30, 2009

By Gary Parrish

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Gary your opinion!

Kentucky officials expect John Calipari to accept an offer to become their program's next basketball coach, a source close to the school told CBSSports.com on Monday. The source said UK believes it could introduce Calipari within the next 48 hours, that athletic director Mitch Barnhart is merely waiting for the "Yes" he believes is imminent, barring an unsuspected hang-up in the final stages of negotiations.

Advertisement

If you UK gets cal, they jump to having the number 1 recruiting class in the country. Cal has 3 of the top 5 recruits in the nation committed, and they will all follow him.

That's not a given.

Xavier Henry signed for Memphis. He would need a release from Memphis OR sit out a year.

Demarcus Cousins and John Wall can go wherever they want....they haven't signed. Cousins might decide to go to Kentucky, but Wall might be interested in Duke or Kansas.

Calpari is a great recruiter but maybe just a decent coach. His team look horrific defensively against Missouri...inexcusable with that athletic talent.

That's not a given.

Xavier Henry signed for Memphis. He would need a release from Memphis OR sit out a year.

Demarcus Cousins and John Wall can go wherever they want....they haven't signed. Cousins might decide to go to Kentucky, but Wall might be interested in Duke or Kansas.

Calpari is a great recruiter but maybe just a decent coach. His team look horrific defensively against Missouri...inexcusable with that athletic talent.

I'm a believer of recruits commit to a coach not a school unless they are home bred.

One Tiger recruit could go with Calipari; Xavier Henry has no opinion yet

By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Originally published 12:41 p.m., March 30, 2009

Updated 01:20 p.m., March 30, 2009

The mother of one University of Memphis basketball recruit says the letter-of-intent he signed with the school in the fall would allow him to follow John Calipari to another school. The brother of another recruit says no opinion has been formed about the possible departure.

Carol Dennis, the mother of University of Memphis recruit Nolan Dennis, told The Commercial Appeal today that the letter-of-intent her son signed last fall contains an addendum that would allow him to follow Calipari to another school.

Carol Dennis said neither she nor her son had heard from the coaching staff at Memphis about whether Calipari planned on leaving for the University of Kentucky.

However, she also said it was not fair to say that her son would definitely ask out of his letter if Calipari were to go to Kentucky.