Bonnie "Prince" Billy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Hollinger.

I am seeing him the night before St. Patty's Day. And then Ben Folds the day after. Three days I am not going to remember.

Ok just finished my first listen. People were talking about all the new instruments and stuff he was using and really it doesn't seem all that different from previous records of his in that sense but it is very similar in the sense that on the first listen you really have no clue if it's genius or not. Maybe its just me but his records always take a while for the tunes to show themselves, but when they do oh oh how I love them.

His stuff is weird, it usually hits me when I've got my ipod on shuffle and some random song comes on while I'm driving.

I've been in Bonnie mode for a while now, so it doesn't surprise me that I already love it (on listen #2 now), but it's not an album I would play for someone if they'd never heard him and needed converting. My first impression (and this could change before tomorrow even) is that the music comes across as rather straight-forward, very listenable and not unsettling or anything but the lyrics hold more than one might notice if they weren't paying very close attention. I've got the headphones on...headphones is always a good thing.

this has been getting some poor reviews, so i'm curious to hear it

I find it odd honestly that it is getting bad reviews, truth be told it doesn't sound all that different than his other records and I really think the quality is pretty much up to par (second listen now) with his rapid output.

I'm halfway through my first listen, and it's definitely not leaping out as much as Lie Down in the Light did at first, but we'll see what happens. The songs are definitely really solid, but there are some questionable choices as far as production goes. The first track is just too big, the sax on My Life's Work, and some of the flanger effects on the electric guitar are unnecessary.

Halfway through though, and You Are Lost is the definite highlight for me, along with You Can't Hurt Me Now

I'm halfway through my first listen, and it's definitely not leaping out as much as Lie Down in the Light did at first, but we'll see what happens. The songs are definitely really solid, but there are some questionable choices as far as production goes. The first track is just too big, the sax on My Life's Work, and some of the flanger effects on the electric guitar are unnecessary.

Halfway through though, and You Are Lost is the definite highlight for me, along with You Can't Hurt Me Now

has your version got the guy talking all the way through it? or is there another version out. i've got to review this thing, and it's almost impossible to come to a conclusion about whether it's any good or not with someone stopping the songs every minute and saying "you're listening to the new bonnie prince billy album". so if there's a clean copy i'd like to hear it, otherwise i think this is going to get a shit review from me too.

Here's some very pretty Bonnie (and Cheyenne Mize) morning music.

http://www.karatebodyrecords.com/among-the-gold/ :wub

Gorgeous - I'm sure you're well aware of this Bonnie Prince, Scout Niblett duet?

It gives me them goosebumps.

Oh and this other one - ignore the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuh9e-C7neA

Gorgeous - I'm sure you're well aware of this Bonnie Prince, Scout Niblett duet?

It gives me them goosebumps.

Oh and this other one - ignore the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuh9e-C7neA

What, you missed my Myspace blog about the Kiss video?!?! I'm so offended! You're going to mess around and get kicked off my friends, dude. ;)

I know the other song too because I got the Scout Niblett album to hear the Bonnie stuff. I don't really care for any of the songs on it without him. That Kiss song, aaaaaawwwww jeeze...it's magic, "let's kidnap each other," "my heart is charged now." Why can't dudes say things like that in real life? It would result in me instantly melting...maybe they don't say those things because they don't want liquid Loretta all over their shoes? Who knows...men are puzzling.

http://www.dragcity.com/video/BPB_IAG.mov

Watch that video and try not to smile! That ol' Will Oldham has a very lovable face. But I can't believe that this record actually got any bad reviews really, I mean it's not Lie Down In The Light (but I thought that record was almost on par with I See A Darkness), but he's trying new stuff once again and the more you listen to it it's quite a dense record with just really really sweet lyrics and catchy tunes.

been trying to get into him for years. i love the movie Old Joy. all need to check it out for will's acting chops. so, i've heard some of beware and it is the shit! i love the whole jangly affair.