Wilco. Had Jay Bennett not left the band

No, I wasted the time to download it, listen to it and drag it to the trash the next day. Time I could have spent listening to something decent.

And, while Jay has always gotten on my nerves as far as his songwriting goes, I always give a guy a chance. I'd love to be surprised by something he does, which is why I listened to it. But, once again, he just doesn't have the talent that he thinks he has. Maybe next time. I've got time.

Boy.......you are a dipstick......

-Robert

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone who saw Wilco with Jay who were glad he left?

I saw the band twice before he left and I don't know if i would say i was glad he left at the time. It was not up to me and i got no vote about it, after all I'm just a fan. But i do prefer the direction the band has taken sense his departure. I think Jeff is much happier on and off stage, I met him while Jay was with the band and post Jay. I don't know for a fact that Jay was causing Jeff some of the social issues he seemed to have. It's just a observation.

And anyone who thinks the band is better live then, then it is now is either very sentimental or delusional.

however, I think that had Jay stayed part of the band, Wilco probably would have come to an end by now and Jeff would be operating as a solo artist. I also don't think that Jay would have been happy with his position in the band. He was already struggling with his role as second-fiddle, so I can't see him being able to handle Glenn's increasing contribution to the band. Still, I enjoyed what Jay added to the band and miss it. As much as I enjoy the current line-up, especially in live performance, my favorite Wilco albums all have Jay on them.

Totally agree. And while most of my favorite music was made with Jay I will take the sacrifice of Jay for the happiness, healthiness, and longeivity of this band. That's what it boils down to for me.

I saw the band twice before he left and I don't know if i would say i was glad he left at the time. It was not up to me and i got no vote about it, after all I'm just a fan. But i do prefer the direction the band has taken sense his departure. I think Jeff is much happier on and off stage, I met him while Jay was with the band and post Jay. I don't know for a fact that Jay was causing Jeff some of the social issues he seemed to have. It's just a observation.

And anyone who thinks the band is better live then, then it is now is either very sentimental or delusional.

Call me both! The First show I saw on 2/15/97 Irving Plaza is in my top 5 live shows of all time. I have now seen over 700 shows so there is alot to be said for that. Please do yourself a favor and get this show on CD or DVD (Was filmed for HBO reverb) and tell me this is not a kick ass live show. Don't get me wrong Wilco is brilliant and still incredible live ( I think I have seen them in (97,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 so I have seen almost every incarnation of Wilco as a band but I liked Jay, Bob, Ken in the lineup. I am a sucker for fiddles, lapsteels, banjo etc.... :dancing

Call me both! The First show I saw on 2/15/97 Irving Plaza is in my top 5 live shows of all time. I have now seen over 700 shows so there is alot to be said for that. Please do yourself a favor and get this show on CD or DVD (Was filmed for HBO reverb) and tell me this is not a kick ass live show. Don't get me wrong Wilco is brilliant and still incredible live ( I think I have seen them in (97,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 so I have seen almost every incarnation of Wilco as a band but I liked Jay, Bob, Ken in the lineup. I am a sucker for fiddles, lapsteels, banjo etc.... :dancing

One show does not make a carrier. Even if Jack Black says "it can change the world"

The two shows i saw with Jay were very good. My first exposure to any form of Wilco live or otherwise was a Dallas gig while Jay was playing and that show inspired me to collect their back catalogue as fast as i have ever collected any bands back catalogue.

But the first time i saw the current band play at the New Port folk Fest before AGIB was released blew the shit out of any Wilco gig i had seen before that. And that show inspired me to catch nine other shows from that tour with each one just as memorable and inspiring then the last. This line up of Wilco is very consistent as a live act. They seem to enjoy playing with each other night in and night out.

The two shows i saw with Jay in the band and the one i saw right after Jay was fired were still good. I mean it was Wilco right? How could it not have been good? I love the music the band writes.

But this incarnation of the band just plays so well together and feeds off one one another. No one seems to try and force attention to themselves they just play as one. With Jay in the band i didn't see it that way. There may have been a smattering of live performances that pushed the envelope when Jay was playing but this incarnation of the band is on a whole different level when it comes to playing live.

I always feel that the people who don't like Jay Bennett in one form or another never saw him play live with Wilco. I did see Jay play with Wilco before and those shows were my favorite ones.

I think you're on to something there...

I'd venture to guess that probably 75% (or more) of the members on this board never saw Jay play with Wilco and love-Love-LOVE bashing the guy simply based on the IATTBYH film. I for one happen to miss Jay's contributions to the band, but firmly realize those days are gone. That said, the current line-up is clearly my favorite.

> tell me this is not a kick ass live show

you like having food thrown at you during a show? :lol

(as long as it's not beer bottles!)

What was thrown? This reminds me a Phish show I saw in the early '90s in Gunnison, CO. The venue supplied whole avocados in the dressing room instead of the requested guacamole. So the band threw the avocados into the crowd for "make guacamole jam." :lol

What was thrown? This reminds me a Phish show I saw in the early '90s in Gunnison, CO. The venue supplied whole avocados in the dressing room instead of the requested guacamole. So the band threw the avocados into the crowd for "make guacamole jam." :lol

You were at the guac jam? Damn, dude...there's no help for you now - you're permanently sick. ;)

I think that had Jay stayed part of the band, Wilco probably would have come to an end by now and Jeff would be operating as a solo artist.

I totally agree. If Jay had not left the band, there would be no more Wilco. Don't know whether Jeff would be operating solo, or with a new band, but it seems to me there was simply no way for the band to continue to exist with Jay in it. I'm one who loves YHFT, but Summerteeth is one of my least favorite albums. (That doesn't mean I don't like it, just don't like it as much as the others.)

I really like the direction the band has taken since YHFT and I love the current lineup. To me, it seems like these guys are having a lot of fun together, collaborate well, and get along. There's a joyful energy when this group takes the stage, and it's infectious.

Also, I have to admit, Jay's solo stuff is not really for me. Saw him live at a small venue a couple years ago and I wasn't that into it. Also, he seemed nervous, stressed, and kind of unhealthy generally. So that confirmed my general feeling that while Jay is a very talented musician, it was simply time for Jeff and Jay to part ways. It would have happened one way or another - either with Jay leaving the band, or the band breaking up.

Also, I have to admit, Jay's solo stuff is not really for me. Saw him live at a small venue a couple years ago and I wasn't that into it. Also, he seemed nervous, stressed, and kind of unhealthy generally. So that confirmed my general feeling that while Jay is a very talented musician, it was simply time for Jeff and Jay to part ways. It would have happened one way or another - either with Jay leaving the band, or the band breaking up.

I had a much different experience seeing Jeff solo back in January of 2007 in Nashville (the first time he announced he title and release date of "Sky Blue Sky"). Of course, you complained that he seemed unhealthy when you saw him, and that may have been the case at that time -- especially if it was during that time where Jeff was, by his own admission, suffering from various health issues. In January of '07, however, he seemed quite healthy, and the show was amazing -- he bantered with the audience (he was quite funny), and the show had a wonderful, intimate feel. He even played a game with the audience where we would yell out scatological band names. The only awkward moment came when a person in the audience who had been quite vocal all evening yelled out, quite persistently, for Jeff to play "Please Tell My Brother," and Jeff eventually responded that he was uncomfortable playing it in the wake of his mother's death. He handled the whole situation with grace and poise, though. Overall, it was a great night, and Jeff really connected with the audience in a way that you just don't see at a full Wilco show (though a Wilco show has it's own very significant rewards). My wife was too sick to come to the show with me that night (I was sick, too, but that wasn't going to stop me), so I took a friend of mine who has long been somewhat bemused by my love of Wilco, and by the end of the evening, he was a fan. He now even has a framed poster from the show hanging in his home.

I had a much different experience seeing Jeff solo back in January of 2007 in Nashville (the first time he announced he title and release date of "Sky Blue Sky"). Of course, you complained that he seemed unhealthy when you saw him, and that may have been the case at that time -- especially if it was during that time where Jeff was, by his own admission, suffering from various health issues. In January of '07, however, he seemed quite healthy, and the show was amazing -- he bantered with the audience (he was quite funny), and the show had a wonderful, intimate feel. He even played a game with the audience where we would yell out scatological band names. The only awkward moment came when a person in the audience who had been quite vocal all evening yelled out, quite persistently, for Jeff to play "Please Tell My Brother," and Jeff eventually responded that he was uncomfortable playing it in the wake of his mother's death. He handled the whole situation with grace and poise, though. Overall, it was a great night, and Jeff really connected with the audience in a way that you just don't see at a full Wilco show (though a Wilco show has it's own very significant rewards). My wife was too sick to come to the show with me that night (I was sick, too, but that wasn't going to stop me), so I took a friend of mine who has long been somewhat bemused by my love of Wilco, and by the end of the evening, he was a fan. He now even has a framed poster from the show hanging in his home.

I'm pretty sure yankee was writing about Jay not Jeff.

I'm pretty sure yankee was writing about Jay not Jeff.

Ah, that makes much more sense -- I mentally switched the two names, largely I suppose, because I forgot about Jay's series of (reportedly) disastrous solo shows following his ouster from the band. I recall some folks posting stories of those shows and telling of Jay being quite drunk and making bitter and rambling comments about his departure from Wilco. I know that some folks around here were more than a little concerned for his well-being and hated to see someone who made valuable contributions to much-beloved Wilco albums reduced to such behavior. I've enjoyed some of Jay's solo records, but I can't imagine I would enjoy seeing him solo, even absent the alleged behavior, given that so much of what he does well involves lavish production and multi-layered parts and does not necessarily benefit from being reduced down to just (arguably weak) vocals and a single guitar.

Anyway, it was well worth the mistake since it triggered a remembrance of a truly wonderful night of solo Tweedy. Thanks for setting me straight and especially for doing so in courteous and civil manner.

my three favorite wilco albums are the three wilco albums made with jay bennett. if he didn't appear to be such a twat, and if i didn't think all of his solo stuff i have heard sucks ass, i'd probably be inclined to say i wish jay was still a driving force behind the greatness of wilco.

i cannot argue that nels's live presence is worlds greater than jay's.