Now Reading in the Old Year

Bummer you don't still have it. There's a used copy on Amazon for $75! It's the 1972 rather than the 1959 "1st edition," too....

I noticed that. I figure the one I read came from the public library.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There comes a time when you just have to go off the list. I feel like I've been working off the same list of half-finished and can't-quite-get-to-them books forever now (some of them I have managed to finish...), so I picked one at random from the big list, and I'm going over to the library after work to pick up this one:

11565861.jpg

Of that batch that took forever/I couldn't quite get through, Ishi was the cream of the crop. I am haunted/obsessed by his story.

On hold for now: Columbine and the Brooklyn Bridge.

And although I've been trying not to buy as many books these days, I have a used copy of this one on order from Amazon:

25635211.jpg

i'm reading this right now... read The Road and loved it, but it's so bleak and depressing! that was my first McCarthy book and am now getting into the rest of his catalog...

cormac1.jpg

That is a dark book. It rivals "the Road" for sheer bleakness.

Yeah, that one looks a bit annoying, but it also looks like something I can zip through fairly quickly, so I'm figuring, I'll cross it off the list anyway.

I like seeing those school reading lists, they always remind me how many "important" books I should have read by now (while instead, I'm wasting a week with Janelle Brown :lol), and give me great ideas for what to read next.

It's a long time since I read any John Irving, but I remember liking A Prayer for Owen Meany. I may need to dip back into Hotel New Hampshire one of these days, too.

On carlos' recommendation. Just opened it for the first time today. I love that new book smell:

peacock_book19239.jpg

"I followed the Abbey method (less a technique for thought and meditation than an opportunity for new possibilities and combinations): go to the wildest place you can find, alone if possible, open your mind, and walk."

Bump.

This is a deeply penetrating book. Man o man.

I may join carlos in having the title tattooed to my foot.

hayduke-art.gif

I'm pretty sure that author has the same name as the chief of staff from the last season of 24.

According to wikia24: "Kanin was named after Iowa Writers' Workshop faculty member Ethan Canin who is a longtime friend of 24 show-runner Howard Gordon and writer Alex Gansa."

This is my first read of it. I don't know why I never got around to reading it before, but here I am. I've got a compilation book that covers On the Road, The Dharma Bums, and The Subterraneans and a very detailed introduction about the stories, his life, his relationship with the press, etc.

if you liked The Dharma Bums, i suggest you read Desolation Angels. it picks-up where DB left off with Kerouac on the mountain and chronicles what happens after he comes back down. these 2 books are my favorite Kerouac books.

i'm currently reading The Plague by Albert Camus. this guy's a genius.

Camus is indeed a genius. "The Stranger" rocked my teenage world back in the day, still does.

I just finished "Against the Night, The Stars" a literary criticism of Arthur C. Clarke's work. My geekery grows with each passing day.