Now Reading in the Old Year

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41AH9AFSSJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wow, this is a mindblower. It's about a guy living his life in reverse. Very hard to follow the dialogue since you start at the end of a conversation and work backwards. Very strange.

Edit: Just saw that the Kindle is now $259 with U.S. Wireless. I'm intrigued...

Jimi Hendrix: Sessions: The Complete Studio Recording Sessions, 1963-1970 by John McDermott, Billy Cox, and Eddie Kramer

(A good description of all the recording sessions, but the layout makes it sort of hard to read.)

Are You Experienced?: The Inside Story Of The Jimi Hendrix Experience by Noel Redding and Carol Appleby

(This book reminds me of the Levon Helm book. He goes into detail about how bad he was ripped off.)

Jimi Hendrix: The Intimate Story of a Betrayed Musical Legend by Sharon Lawrence

(She was a reporter who knew Jimi. I have not read this one yet.)

Black Gold: The Lost Archives of Jimi Hendrix by Steven Roby

(I have not read this one yet.)

Black Gold: The Lost Archives of Jimi Hendrix by Steven Roby

(I have not read this one yet.)

I know that guy! I took pictures at his wedding. :)

When the book came out, he did a great book-tour presentation with audio recordings, film clips, etc. I enjoyed the presentation, but I still haven't read the book. :lol

Currently on hold at the library:

11489649.jpg

39837237.JPG

11460278.jpg

41232683.JPG

I know that guy! I took pictures at his wedding. :)

When the book came out, he did a great book-tour presentation with audio recordings, film clips, etc. I enjoyed the presentation, but I still haven't read the book. :lol

Interesting.

Yeah, sometimes a book is perfect for a certain time in your life, but doesn't make the same kind of sense a few years later. But I read Housekeeping a couple of times with several years in between, and still love it just as much.

P-M-B-9781844139255.jpg

Not really digging it. The writing style is tedious and there is very little information here that anyone with a base level knowledge of the group doesn't already know. I'm quitting this book, and will begin this one tonight:

03050015000001032173.jpg

Just started Michael Chabon's latest: Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son. Good stuff so far.

Ah, I didn't know that was out!

Let us know how it finishes up. I'm a huuuge Chabon fan, even if his stuff has veered away from my tastes over the past decade or so. I read Wonder Boys this summer and loved it, and Mysteries of Pittsburgh may well be my all-time favourite novel.

I'll probably finish Housekeeping today, then on to something else...

I don't get the Chabon adulation and it makes me sad.

I did read Housekeeping in the early 80s. Remember loving it but have no recollection what's it's about. I should see if it's still on my shelf.

I don't get the Chabon adulation and it makes me sad.

Which ones have you read? I can think of several people who agree with you, and I wasn't an immediate fan at first, having started with Yiddish Policeman's Union and Kavalier and Clay, both of which I found "impressive" but had trouble connecting with... His earlier novels and short stories, though, are what really made me a believer.

I read The Wonder Boys. No connection.

I know that occasionally the timing of reading a novel can be all wrong, but so many folks whose taste I respect love Chabon.