Now Reading in the Old Year

On carlos' recommendation. Just opened it for the first time today. I love that new book smell:

peacock_book19239.jpg

"I followed the Abbey method (less a technique for thought and meditation than an opportunity for new possibilities and combinations): go to the wildest place you can find, alone if possible, open your mind, and walk."

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was around 21 I went on a Kurt Vonnegut tear. Like you, I don't have a great attention span (didn't then either), but his style and imagination (and rather great sense of humor) make the stories fly by. I'd start with Breakfast of Champions.

Just finished Breakfast of Champions, I really liked it a lot. ANy other recommendations?

9780813125381.jpg

Plan on watching all of a mid-quality rip of The Landlord on YouTube (provided it's still up) tonight.

--Mike

Hal Ashby was for me a definitive voice in the movies of the 70s. Might need to check this out.

Hal Ashby was for me a definitive voice in the movies of the 70s. Might need to check this out.

It's well done, but a little pricey even for a hardback (it's listed at 30 on Amazon). It's good, but it's not 30 dollars good, so I'd recommend tracking it down in a library system or good old fashioned shoplifting.

His run of films in the 70's sits alongside the best work of any director in my humble opinion, and no one got better music for a film than Ashby's score of Coming Home Coming Home soundtrack. I go back and forth between Being There and Coming Home as my favorites of his, and Harold and Maude is quite delightful as well.

--Mike

Just finished Breakfast of Champions, I really liked it a lot. ANy other recommendations?

You have to go with Cat's Cradle at some point. One of my faves.

Actually Welcome to the Monkey house is really good and not like his other books. A bunch of short stories that are written in a more "standard" style than his usual prose.

It's well done, but a little pricey even for a hardback (it's listed at 30 on Amazon). It's good, but it's not 30 dollars good, so I'd recommend tracking it down in a library system or good old fashioned shoplifting.

His run of films in the 70's sits alongside the best work of any director in my humble opinion, and no one got better music for a film than Ashby's score of Coming Home Coming Home soundtrack. I go back and forth between Being There and Coming Home as my favorites of his, and Harold and Maude is quite delightful as well.

--Mike

Add Shampoo to your list and you have the four pillars of 70s culture. ;)

It has been 20 years since I watched Coming Home, but Time Has Come Today and the climax of that movie are inextricably woven together in my mind. Not unlike the opening scenes in Apocalypse Now underpinned with The End by the Doors.

When I was around 21 I went on a Kurt Vonnegut tear. Like you, I don't have a great attention span (didn't then either), but his style and imagination (and rather great sense of humor) make the stories fly by. I'd start with Breakfast of Champions.

me, too!

good call, sir s.

i started reading ray bradbury's "dandelion wine" yesterday. it's my annual summer read. the tough bit is stretching it out through the season. :)

i'm reading this right now... read The Road and loved it, but it's so bleak and depressing! that was my first McCarthy book and am now getting into the rest of his catalog...

cormac1.jpg

I read the first 100 pages of Blood Meridian a couple months ago, but had to put it down. Just nothing at all about it moved me -- I couldn't see the characters, didn't care about them at all. And I got the same sense from the narrator, which compounded everything and made it worse. Sorry, Cormac. I'll probably try again in the future, since there are obviously people who consider the book sacred.

I'm on the last story of a Richard Ford collection called A Multitude of Sins. If he's not the best living American writer, I need to read whoever is, because I'm just plowing through Ford's canon right now.

I re-read that the other day. I still have the paper back of that and On The Road I got when I was about 18, I think.

This is my first read of it. I don't know why I never got around to reading it before, but here I am. I've got a compilation book that covers On the Road, The Dharma Bums, and The Subterraneans and a very detailed introduction about the stories, his life, his relationship with the press, etc.

This is my first read of it. I don't know why I never got around to reading it before, but here I am. I've got a compilation book that covers On the Road, The Dharma Bums, and The Subterraneans and a very detailed introduction about the stories, his life, his relationship with the press, etc.

Mine are cheapy paperbacks.

Visions of Cody - you should read that one.

Here is the list:

# The Town and the City (1946-1949)

# On the Road (1948-1956)

# Visions of Cody (1951-1952)

# Pic (1951 & 1969)

# Book of Dreams (1952-1960)

# Doctor Sax (1952)

# Maggie Cassidy (1953)

# The Subterraneans (1953)

# Tristessa (1955-1956)

# Visions of Gerard (1956)

# The Dharma Bums (1957)

# Lonesome Traveler (1960)

# Big Sur (1961)

# Desolation Angels (1965)

# Satori in Paris (1965)

# Vanity of Duluoz (1968)

You have to go with Cat's Cradle at some point. One of my faves.

Actually Welcome to the Monkey house is really good and not like his other books. A bunch of short stories that are written in a more "standard" style than his usual prose.

I actually just finished cat's cradle today and i loved it. I loved both Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle, so Slaughter-House Five is next.

Jonathan_strange_and_mr_norrell_cover.jpg

The_Children_of_Hurin_cover.jpg

I actually just finished cat's cradle today and i loved it. I loved both Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle, so Slaughter-House Five is next.

Slaughterhouse-Five is the only Vonnegut I've started and not finished. Not sure why. Funny that you mentioned Catch-22 when you were first looking for suggestions: I've lumped the two together in my mind as two not dissimilar books I'll probably never get around to finishing.