Now Reading in the Old Year

Finished "The Killer Angels" and thought it was fantastic.

Am now reading "The March" by E.L. Doctorow.

Speaking of libraries -- Anyone else have any public library sales they frequent? The Seattle Public library system puts on a bi-annual library book sale in an old airport hanger where they sell the "over-stock" and donations....It's absolutely enormous and hardbacks are $1 and paperbacks $0.75. We are talking quality here as well. It's the greatest thing ever.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ondaroad.jpg

200px-ColleenMcCullough_Antony_and_Cleopatra.jpg

caesar-adrian-goldsworthy-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

a-game-of-thrones_hd1.jpg

It's taking me forever to get through this, which is probably appropriate. I'm iffy on the math, so I'm having to digest it in pretty small bites.

8188227.jpg

Next up, thanks to Beltmann's recommendation (I'm looking forward to something a bit juicy):

updike1.jpg

And in between other stuff, I'm reading the Pendragon series, so that I can have geeky discussions about them with my niece. I'm up to book 5:

20406310.jpg

Speaking of libraries -- Anyone else have any public library sales they frequent? The Seattle Public library system puts on a bi-annual library book sale in an old airport hanger where they sell the "over-stock" and donations....It's absolutely enormous and hardbacks are $1 and paperbacks $0.75. We are talking quality here as well. It's the greatest thing ever.

We have a sale going on right now. Happens twice a year, once in the Spring and again in the Fall. I volunteer and am an avid patron.

Usually popular recent hardback fiction goes for around four or five dollars.

Click for info.

Yesterday evening I picked up Richard Price's Lush Life in hardback for a buck, D.F.W's Infinite Jest in large paperback for a $1.50 and Ira Glass's New Kings of Non-Fiction for $.75.

I can't even recall what I've picked up this past weekend....kinda like a kid in a candy store :stunned

My library's Spring sale is later this month. My favorite part is always the bargain room where books are something like 3 for $1.50 and sold by the bag later in the sale.

The downtown branch of the Ann Arbor public library has a great book sale every weekend from September-April. I try to get up there once a month, at least. They always have tons of classics, I think from being a college town and a lot of students have to read them for school. They also have a lot of newer books in really good shape.

In Saline they have a book sale and I'm not sure if it's only once a month or if it's also every weekend, but I went once and was not impressed. Most of the books were crap like Danielle Steel and other grocery store paperbacks.

The library in the town I live in (Clinton) has a book sale on the first Saturday of every month. It's hit or miss as far as selection goes. I did pick up a Thomas Hardy book, Othello by Shakespeare, and 3 kids books and only spent $1.25. Can't beat that.

How many books do people usually read in a year?

According to my Goodreads page, 108 in '08.

But most of them were trash. My goal is quality over quantity this year.

Right now:

41ILoS1jXWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The comparisons to Catcher in the Rye are pretty obvious. I'm halfway through and not abandoning, but I wanted to like this more than I actually do.

41Q4ZJGRDCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Normally I like Will Self, but this is kind of "meh." Rewrite of The Picture of Dorian Gray set in London during the height of the AIDS epidemic.

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished the 33 1/3 book on "Bee Thousand" now starting this one:

TortillaFlat.jpg

Why does this look so fat? It's a short read. Hmm.... Probably my favorite book ever written, too.

Ah. Looks like an old copy, obviously, as well. The print is probably a bit larger than standard print these days, too.

I think this picture is of a first addition, you are right, the one I'm actually reading is pretty small. I'm reading it based on all the recommendations from this thread.

Just picked this up! And though it's technically not a novel and doesn't require any reading, it does have an introduction by Jack Kerouac! I had just had to post it here, as it's such a great photography book! Robert Frank is a true master photographer- these photos are spellbinding!

the_americans_cover.jpg

Columbine - by Dave Cullen. Eye opening. I can't believe it'll be 10 years on April 20. If their attacks had gone as planned it would've been deadlier than Oklahoma City.

I have that and will be starting it tonight. One of the guys I work with at the bookstore saw it and we talked and decided we'd both read it! It looks really interesting!

One small example of why Steinbeck is great:

Through the streets of the town, fat ladies, in whose eyes lay the weariness and the wisdom one sees so often in the eyes of pigs, were trundled in overpowered motor cars toward tea and gin fizzes at the Hotel Del Monte. On Alvarado Street, Hugo Machado, the tailor, put a sign in his shop door, "Back in Five Minutes," and went home for the day. The pines waved slowly and voluptuously. The hens in a hundred hen yards complained in placid voices of their evil lot.