Now Reading in the Old Year

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ka.jpg

I went on a nationwide road-trip from Seattle, last summer and I would say our stop at Gettysburg was the highlight of the the trip. I've heard others on VC recommend this one.

Just got the "33 1/3" books for "Murmur", "Bee Thousand", and "Daydream Nation". I like the idea of a whole book devoted to one album.

I've read the one about Daydream Nation. The author is a zealous SY fan and gushes a little more than I would've liked, but once I got past that, I did learn some things about the band and the album. The part about Lee Ranaldo's literary influences was especially interesting to me, and it helped me to realize why his songs tend to be my favorites.

I've read the one about Daydream Nation. The author is a zealous SY fan and gushes a little more than I would've liked, but once I got past that, I did learn some things about the band and the album. The part about Lee Ranaldo's literary influences was especially interesting to me, and it helped me to realize why his songs tend to be my favorites.

Cool. The only one I have read so far is the "Let it Be-Replacements" one written by Colin Meloy from the Decemberists. He talked briefly about buying the album and listening to it but the book had very little to do with the album at all. It was more of an autobiography about him but it was not bad.

I wanted to like that so much more than I did. She did a great job of researching, and everything felt so authentic, especially everything about the animals, but the book fell flat to me in some really basic ways, like because of clunky dialogue and cliches.

I'm about to head to bed and pick up with the "Zooey" section of Salinger's Franny and Zooey

I'm about to head to bed and pick up with the "Zooey" section of Salinger's Franny and Zooey

:wub

You know my thoughts on that book! Zooey's my favorite of the two stories. :wub :wub :wub

(PS to others -- my cat is named Zooey. :lol)

Starting "Tortilla Flat" by Steinbeck later this evening......only read it once before, about 20 years ago.

"This is the story of Danny and of Danny's friends...."

Probably my favorite book ever.

I wanted to like that so much more than I did. She did a great job of researching, and everything felt so authentic, especially everything about the animals, but the book fell flat to me in some really basic ways, like because of clunky dialogue and cliches.

I researched circuses and freak shows for a project in college and have also done a lot of reading on elephants in captivity and did see a lot of true stories shine through the fiction of the book, which was really nice. i just wish she hadn't added the last chapter in there. she could have ended it with the guy getting to sit ring side for the show and it would have been a beautiful ending. i wasn't a fan of the jumping back and forth between present and past, but part of that is just me and i simply don't like that style of writing. i'm more of a tell the story already. don't give away the ending before you begin. it was still a decent read for me though.

next up:

014200161901lzzzzzzz.jpg

I think Jude the Obscure is the most depressing book I've ever read. It's really well written, but boy it's bleak.

I've come to expect that with Thomas Hardy. I read Tess of the D'Ubervilles and The Mayor of Casterbridge and both left me with a bummed out feeling when I was done reading them.

Actually, most of the books I've read so far this year have been depressing. WTF?

I have not read Jude the Obscure but I think Henry Roth's Call It Sleep is the most depressing book I have ever read.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak was the most depressing book I've read recently. The Time Traveller's Wife is up there on the list too.

eta: Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy and Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Actually Lord of the Flies was just disturbing. I wanted to drink myself out of my misery after that one.

"The Road" has to be pretty high up there on the list of most depressing books ever.

I read it in two sittings, put it on the shelf and have been thinking about it ever since.

That's most def a book that will stick with you. I find myself thinking about it every once in awhile which is not the case with most books. It's really an absolute worst case scenario of how savage people could become given the bleakest of circumstances. Like Lord of the Flies x 10.