Now Reading in the Old Year

Recently at the library sale I bought 10 books (for $17), one of which I am deeply into: A Prayer for Owen Meany. Got it for $1. Man told me I just bought a collector's item because John Irving had just died. He seemed really happy for me as I also bought two other Irving novels, but he didn't seem too sympathetic to Irving. :ohwell

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently at the library sale I bought 10 books (for $17), one of which I am deeply into: A Prayer for Owen Meany. Got it for $1. Man told me I just bought a collector's item because John Irving had just died. He seemed really happy for me as I also bought two other Irving novels, but he didn't seem too sympathetic to Irving. :ohwell

John Irving died? I had no idea. A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of the best books ever. Loved A hotel for New Hampshire and others as well. Damn.

When did he die? I just searched and the only news I could find was that he will turn 67 tomorrow.

Updike's death inspired me to finally buy his In the Beauty of the Lilies, which I always meant to read because his twin subjects--religion and movies--sounded intriguing. I started reading on Friday and so far it's fantastic. It opens in the early 1900s with Mary Pickford fainting on set while elsewhere, at the same moment, a beloved minister is shaken to realize that he no longer believes in God.

9780679446408.jpg

I'm also reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes because this semester, for the first time, I'm teaching ancient mythology. Fun stuff every day.

0446607258.jpg

That was John Updike who just died. John Irving is alive and well

It seems the report of Irving's demise were greatly exaggerated! Thanks for clearing that up and my apologies to those who were falsely saddened. You would think a librarian would know who was whom.

Turning out to be a great day! Just won a $500 gift certificate to Borders here at work. I think I will just compile everybody's recommendations from this thread and go nuts!

Wow. That's great Moss. I'm glad for you. That would blow my mind having that much money to shop for books. Amazing.

Thanks! It is blowing my mind. I'll probably stand there in a paralysis and not even know how to start. All I did was complete some trivia quesiontaire on "Operational Excellence" (our latest corporate buzzword). Minimal work, maximum reward.

I was serious about taking everybody's suggestions. Between this thread and the "Greatest books of all time" thread I am set so thanks to everybody for that!

Thanks! It is blowing my mind. I'll probably stand there in a paralysis and not even know how to start. All I did was complete some trivia quesiontaire on "Operational Excellence" (our latest corporate buzzword). Minimal work, maximum reward.

I was serious about taking everybody's suggestions. Between this thread and the "Greatest books of all time" thread I am set so thanks to everybody for that!

Read The Book Thief first!!

It opens in the early 1900s with Mary Pickford fainting on set while elsewhere, at the same moment, a beloved minister is shaken to realize that he no longer believes in God.
I've bought and sold this book a few times and never cracked it. I've got one or two copies now, and I think I may finally read it. I'm intrigued!
  • 2 weeks later...
Just got Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao at the library, along with Martha Stewart's Cooking School.

Oscar was the last book I read in the book club I am in. I thought is it was a great book. Enjoy.

Updike's death inspired me to finally buy his In the Beauty of the Lilies, which I always meant to read because his twin subjects--religion and movies--sounded intriguing. I started reading on Friday and so far it's fantastic. It opens in the early 1900s with Mary Pickford fainting on set while elsewhere, at the same moment, a beloved minister is shaken to realize that he no longer believes in God.

Just added to the list. :thumbup

I probably am - love that book. I read that around the time the movie Rushmore came out, and as a big Wes Anderson fan, I could easily picture the lead played by Luke Wilson, Thomas Effing (love that name) by Bill Murray, and Owen Wilson as the old time cowboy in the desert...

Moon Palace......wonderful book!

Nothing by Auster grabbed me as much as that one did.

Did you read Mister Vertigo or The Music of Chance? I'd put those three on about the same level (Moon Palace a bit higher).

Did you read Mister Vertigo or The Music of Chance? I'd put those three on about the same level (Moon Palace a bit higher).

Not sure. I recall a dark story about people selling body parts...does that sound right?

I need some new stories, the Irish Revolution stuff is getting a bit morbid so I'll check those out.

From Wiki---

On March 12th 2009, Paul Auster gave the sixth annual Lewis Mumford Lecture on Urbanism at the City College of New York (CCNY), with the title "City of Words." Auster disappointed his audience by merely reading various excerpts from his own published work, without inserting them into a larger narrative.

Geez......the fallout from disappointing the public sure is swift nowadays.

About the selling body parts book......I think I'm confusing Auster with someone else.

Not sure. I recall a dark story about people selling body parts...does that sound right?

I need some new stories, the Irish Revolution stuff is getting a bit morbid so I'll check those out.

Are you thinking of

"Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro".

That was a good book and was similar to what you are talking about although I hope this is not a spoiler.