Now Reading in the Old Year

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished Steinbeck's "Tortilla Flat" and started his "The Pastures of Heaven" this morning. Next up is "To A God Unknown".

Yep, its a Steinbeck bender!

While you are on your bender, you should read Travels with Charley (if you have not read it yet).

clapton_l.jpg

Don't waste your time.

Yeah, I wasted my time reading this last year - his writing is as rote and colorless as his playing. It was a library book so at least I didn't waste any money. Is it just me or does the cursive signature on the book jacket also read as a derogatory slang for a part of the female anatomy that rhymes with "hunt"?

Is it just me or does the cursive signature on the book jacket also read as a derogatory slang for a part of the female anatomy that rhymes with "hunt"?

now that you mention it...totally see it!

Someone gave this to me last weekend and it's excellent. Right up my alley with history, interesting and obscure facts, and etymology throughout. Only 25 pages in but I can tell it'll be a favorite.

bryson_america.jpg

Is it just me or does the cursive signature on the book jacket also read as a derogatory slang for a part of the female anatomy that rhymes with "hunt"?

:o

35900825.JPG

Read it this past weekend. Someone recommended it here. It was a good read. I am familiar with his poetry but have not read much of his prose. Definitely going to be reading some more of his books.

Now I'm re-reading Updike's Rabbit, Run for a book club I'm in.

Someone gave this to me last weekend and it's excellent. Right up my alley with history, interesting and obscure facts, and etymology throughout. Only 25 pages in but I can tell it'll be a favorite.

Sounds good! I'm a fan of that kind of thing, too.

Matthew Pearl just bought the house I grew up in so I thought I'd read one of his books.

I was thinking "wow, the blurb on the cover of that is pretty impressive", until I got to "Dan Brown, author of The DaVinci Code". :P

Read it this past weekend. Someone recommended it here. It was a good read. I am familiar with his poetry but have not read much of his prose. Definitely going to be reading some more of his books.

I've been meaning to read that one, too.

All of my facebook friends, prepare for more spam! (I've really got to figure out how to turn that off... :twitchsmile )

"Cahokia"

Its about an American Indian civilization around 1050 AD that built a city in southern IL that was larger than London. Some of the mounds remain there to this day.

I betcha Tweedy's been there.

We can request books on-line from our public library, and they'll pull them and hold them for a week. Or if it's not immediately available, you can be put on the waiting list, and get an e-mail when it comes back and is put on hold for you. I love that, I've always got something waiting for me at the library.

A couple Paul Auster books, a book of short stories that "The Quiet Man" was based on......and I cant recall the others.....
Which Paul Auster books? If it's one of mine, I'll mail it to you and let you keep it! I'm always looking for good karma. :thumbup