Now Reading in the Old Year

Wasn't the quote something along the lines of "read a book by a guy who actually walked somewhere?"

yes. i was trying to be nice and not rain on the parade of the Bill Bryson fans. :P i recall a follow-up conversation that went something like this:

"oh, look at the light. wow, there's just something about it in this place. it's beautiful."

"[mocking] oh the light...you're not the first one to notice that...you really should read that book..."

;)

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did. Mentioning Bill Bryson to someone prompted the recommendation for Wandering Home. well that and how I was going on and on about the light in the Adirondacks. Apparently I am not the first to note the magic of it, as proven by McKibben.

I also bailed on Gilead. am very A.D.D. about what I want to read right now. am taking a crack at this and am enjoying it. I find history on random subjects fascinating.

goastmapcover.jpg

I'll have to put this one on my list on my library account. Looks to be right up my alley.

n305575.jpg

I’m roughly a third of the way through, but unless it takes an unforeseen (and at this point, almost unimaginable) lurch into shitty territory, Lethem’s latest is shaping up to be my favorite novel of the year. If you’re not familiar with Lethem’s work, I’d start with Fortress of Solitude, one of my all time favorites.

n305575.jpg

I’m roughly a third of the way through, but unless it takes an unforeseen (and at this point, almost unimaginable) lurch into shitty territory, Lethem’s latest is shaping up to be my favorite novel of the year. If you’re not familiar with Lethem’s work, I’d start with Fortress of Solitude, one of my all time favorites.

I read You Don't Love Me Yet by Lethem earlier this year, a gift from my dad, and it was one of the worst books I've ever finished. I haven't read anything else by him, but it soured me pretty bad.

I read You Don't Love Me Yet by Lethem earlier this year, a gift from my dad, and it was one of the worst books I've ever finished. I haven't read anything else by him, but it soured me pretty bad.

I've read Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn. It was okay, a decent read.

n305575.jpg

I think the first 150 pages of Fortress of Solitude are probably among the best I've ever read. Just absolutely perfect. A great book all around, but the first 150 pages (mostly just the detailing of his early years in the neighborhood) really did it for me.

This one and:

The_Book_of_Basketball_The_NBA_According_to_The_Sports_Guy-124170323458261.jpg

Are both on the way. [/img]

--Mike

I need to get those. Maybe when I get paid this Friday.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure I have the stamina for 800 pages of Simmons when I'm supposed to be getting married in a month. It might put a dent in the relationship :stunned

Rereading this:

Lucifer.jpg

Love this book. So delightful.

Lethem is complicated for me. When he is good (as with Motherless Brooklyn and Fortress of Solitude) I love his work. For me it helps that both of those books are set within a block or two of where I used to live in Brooklyn. But he also has this whole science fiction side that I don't get. I read a really bad review of You Don’t Love Me Yet right when it came out and it soured me on the book (which I never read). I think I will read his new one but don't have it yet.

He had a great story in the New Yorker about a year ago called “Lostronaut.” It was this really bleak and claustrophobic story of an astronaut stuck on a space station.

I think the first 150 pages of Fortress of Solitude are probably among the best I've ever read. Just absolutely perfect. A great book all around, but the first 150 pages (mostly just the detailing of his early years in the neighborhood) really did it for me.

The book loses some momentum towards the end with the shift to the present day and the first person, but as you pointed out, the first section is killer. Lethem’s characters are heartbreakingly dimensional, and the locations, fully realized. I only read it once, and I've been putting off a re-read because I fear a second go through will drain the book of some of its magic and emotional punch, but now that we're discussing it, I think I'm ready.

He had a great story in the New Yorker about a year ago called “Lostronaut.” It was this really bleak and claustrophobic story of an astronaut stuck on a space station.

Though I'm not positive, I believe that was an excerpt from Chronic City, or, maybe just part of an early draft.

Lethem is complicated for me. When he is good (as with Motherless Brooklyn and Fortress of Solitude) I love his work. For me it helps that both of those books are set within a block or two of where I used to live in Brooklyn. But he also has this whole science fiction side that I don't get. I read a really bad review of You Don’t Love Me Yet right when it came out and it soured me on the book (which I never read). I think I will read his new one but don't have it yet.

I skipped Lethem's " You don't Love Me Yet" for the same reasons.

But I am A big fan, and I still love "Gun W/ Occasional Music" along w/ F.O.S. and M.B.

I Just ordered Chronic City yesterday based on Good Ol' Neon's impressions.

Fingers crossed.

It's been over two years since I weened myself off Carver, so I'm allowing myself to re-read Where I'm Calling From for the next little bit. I'm also putting together MFA applications this month, so it's helped get me going.

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan.

Sorry, can't figure out how you guys post pictures of the cover...

Really good. If you like history and what it was like to deal with this catastrophe (the dust bowl). I'm about half way through.

By the way, checking out this thread over the past few months or so has gotten me back into reading some, which I used to enjoy a bunch but had gotten out of the habit. So...Thanks VC!

Besides this one, I have two or three other books that I'm at various stages of reading. I'd forgotten how much I like having a few titles going at once. I don't usually read for long spells at a time, but there's always something around, depending on what my mood is.

It is amazing what people can survive.

Thanks, Gogo, for getting the picture.

I was searching for a link to "how to post a picture..." but couldn't find one. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll send you some steps in the next couple of days. :)

Wade Davis's The Wayfinders is next on my list to read, it just won the Massey Lectures award for 2009 here in Canada. Dunno why I never became much of a fiction reader, I seem to gravitate to musician biographies, political history (occasionally), and cultural anthropology like this.

http://recycledminds.blogspot.com/2009/11/book-review-wayfinders-by-wade-davis.html

southland-tales-poster.jpg

I finally sat down to read the Graphic Novel for Southland Tales. It is the 1st 3 chapters of the story. The film consists of chapters 4-6. It was always planned this way and I'm not sure how many people went out to buy this. Ultimately, it was gamble that didn't pay off financially.

I loved the film and thought I understood mostly everything.

This has helped a lot to clarify some things. The richness and the depth of the story here reminds me of Watchmen.

For those that are unfamiliar, Southland Tales was the follow up to Donnie Darko for director Richard Kelly. His third film The Box is in theaters now.