Now Reading in the Old Year

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just ordered this from Amazon:

51FWWNAMNAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've heard that it's pretty cheezy. But. seeing as how I have actually been IN the Castle at Otranto, I don't see how I can go through the rest of my life without reading this!

Finishing "Finding Oz" by Evan Schwartz. Great read. Interesting his connection to suffragist Matilda Gage and her influence on him and his stories. Plan on reading the original with new peepers!

Starting "Superior Wife Syndrome" by Carin Rubenstein. Don't know what to think yet but will be married two years this coming July so it can't hurt. This then the baby books I suppose.

Also - on the side various Pink Floyd books randomly. Caught David Gilmour's Remember That Night on DVD the other night. Nick Mason's is interesting. More of a picture/photog book from what I can see from skimming.

Libraries rock!

Dennis Lehane has done a review of James Crumley's The Last Good Kiss. In the editor's note it states that Lehane is currently working on a follow-up to Gone, Baby, Gone. I'm not sure what can be done to extend that story, but I hope he'll follow-up on Mystic River. I see much potential for a continuation there.

Lehane has also contibuted to and edited Boston Noir, due for release in November 2009.

3788568165_b926c4acfe.jpg

I think this is Russo's weakest novel to date. Not bad by any means, I just didn't feel it was that compelling.

Although the main character possesses many of the archetypical traits of a Russo protagonist, I didn't find him terribly engaging and often found his apathy annoying.

Next....

n233918.jpg

just finished this:

wh-large.jpg

and am now reading this, it is ok, because I spent all of yesterday reading it during jury duty, I will finish it; otherwise, I probably would have put it down already. It has some sweet moments, but for the most part...YAWN. Too much time invested to bail on it and never pick it back up though. Here's to hoping it picks up and has more of the sweet moments:

gilead-by-marilynne-robinson.jpg

I think this is Russo's weakest novel to date. Not bad by any means, I just didn't feel it was that compelling.

Although the main character possesses many of the archetypical traits of a Russo protagonist, I didn't find him terribly engaging and often found his apathy annoying.

That's too bad. I am a big Russo fan and I've got that one on my bedside table.

and am now reading this, it is ok, because I spent all of yesterday reading it during jury duty, I will finish it; otherwise, I probably would have put it down already. It has some sweet moments, but for the most part...YAWN. Too much time invested to bail on it and never pick it back up though. Here's to hoping it picks up and has more of the sweet moments:

gilead-by-marilynne-robinson.jpg

Yeah, not a bad book, but definitely not up to the standard set by Housekeeping.

Yeah, not a bad book, but definitely not up to the standard set by Housekeeping.

I started Housekeeping, couldn't get into it. Maybe I should give another try.

Just started The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. Starts STRONG!

Have you read Bill Bryson's a "Walk in the Woods"? A fantastic tale of his adventures and misadventures along the Appalachian Trail...I'll have to check this one out!

I have. It's hilarious!

A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins is also great. That book was published 30 years ago and I still can't believe it's never been turned into a movie.

Just finishing "Naked" by David Sedaris. I have taken this book to appointments etc, and in the dentist office the other day I got teased because of the book title! l just love him so much, I don't care.

I also love giftcards to bookstores! :cheers These two books should be on their way today.

38140438.JPG

42225123.JPG

Just finishing "Naked" by David Sedaris. I have taken this book to appointments etc, and in the dentist office the other day I got teased because of the book title!

You read Sedaris in public, Wendy? You're a brave woman. I stopped doing that some years ago due to the uncontrollable maniacal laughter his books produced in me. There are just some things the public doesn't need to be subjected to.

He is a sick sick puppy. :love

Have you read Bill Bryson's a "Walk in the Woods"? A fantastic tale of his adventures and misadventures along the Appalachian Trail...I'll have to check this one out!

I did. Mentioning Bill Bryson to someone prompted the recommendation for Wandering Home. well that and how I was going on and on about the light in the Adirondacks. Apparently I am not the first to note the magic of it, as proven by McKibben.

I also bailed on Gilead. am very A.D.D. about what I want to read right now. am taking a crack at this and am enjoying it. I find history on random subjects fascinating.

goastmapcover.jpg

Are both on their way. I'm also always kind of reading or re-reading.

9780316925280.jpg

--Mike

I know the artist that made the artwork featured on the cover of that book. I designed a book of his work and own a couple of pieces of his art. amazing guy. He is schizophrenic and has severe OCD, but overcame his demons and has made quite the successful inspiring life for himself. He is a fascinating person.

I know the artist that made the artwork featured on the cover of that book. I designed a book of his work and own a couple of pieces of his art. amazing guy. He is schizophrenic and has severe OCD, but overcame his demons and has made quite the successful inspiring life for himself. He is a fascinating person.

Very cool, I have always gotten a lot of compliments from people that don't recognize the book just about that cover image.

--Mike

am taking a crack at this and am enjoying it. I find history on random subjects fascinating.

goastmapcover.jpg

Another one I love! But I didn't see it as a random subject, I'm specifically a fan of the social history of diseases. :lol God, I'm a complete freak, aren't I?

That story is a classic in the history of public health interventions. There's a very active public health policy blog called "The Pump Handle". :yes

I'm also always kind of reading or re-reading.

9780316925280.jpg

--Mike

Me too.

It wouldn't be an understatement to say that E Unibus Pluram changed the way I intereact with the world as profoundly as virtually anything that I've read. After Infinite Jest, that is.

Another one I love! But I didn't see it as a random subject, I'm specifically a fan of the social history of diseases. :lol God, I'm a complete freak, aren't I?

That story is a classic in the history of public health interventions. There's a very active public health policy blog called "The Pump Handle". :yes

We're both complete freaks then! I've read several books on the history of diseases, rats, and lots of other stuff (I call it random because when you go in a book store, you have to track these books down, there really should be a section titled "random history" to make it easier. :P)

the map that was drawn and helped detect the source of the outbreak is often used as an example of good information design in design schools and classes.

I did. Mentioning Bill Bryson to someone prompted the recommendation for Wandering Home. well that and how I was going on and on about the light in the Adirondacks. Apparently I am not the first to note the magic of it, as proven by McKibben.

Wasn't the quote something along the lines of "read a book by a guy who actually walked somewhere?"

Last night I went to see "An Evening With David Sedaris". Very very cool.

I have read quite a few essayists (David Rakoff, Sarah Vowell, Chuck Klosterman) and David is without a doubt the best author of this type of work today. His ability to combine humor, realism and poignancy is just awesome.

If you have not read a DS book yet, please do yourself a favor and pick one up. I'd suggest "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim".