Now Reading in the Old Year

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just finished Ghost Map. It was ok. A bit too much interjection, opinion, and repetitiveness for my taste. The epilogue was too much. Fascinating stuff about the conditions of London in the 1800s though.

onto this one:

9781592404742.jpg

1975_pic.jpg

that's on my reading list!

41PAYDWKQWL.jpg

Indulging my little apocalyptic, we’re all going to die fetish. I don’t agree with all of Kunstler’s speculative predictions regarding peak oil (which is inevitable) and the end of suburbia, but he’s a smart guy and a fun read.

His TED presentation is worth 20 minutes of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ

A good read. Challenging, Banks is never fun or easy, but satisfying. Considering Brown was basically a "terrorist", it was interesting seeing the point of view of a terrorist with a truly righteous cause, but a terrorist nevertheless.

I read this a few months ago. The Harpers Ferry capture is riveting. I read alot about slavery and I believe John Brown was a necessary evil/terrorist/martyr/psycho/whatever,etc. Slavery would have probably lasted until the turn of the century if not for him.

reynoldslarge.jpg

41MH-fl71OL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

God help me, I'm going in. Anybody know a good site to help walk me through it?

Good luck, keep your wits about you, and you'll probably make it halfway through the second chapter.

Godspeed, man.

41MH-fl71OL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

God help me, I'm going in. Anybody know a good site to help walk me through it?

Good luck, keep your wits about you, and you'll probably make it halfway through the second chapter.

Godspeed, man.

:lol

Good luck, Moss. Keep us posted. I am smack dab in the middle of DeLillo's Underworld right now.

"Family Secrets: The Case That Crippled the Chicago Mob" by Jeff Coen.

Very good read if you like this kinda stuff. Turns out I went to school with the son of a street boss (who was recently sentenced to life in prison). And get this....in the mid 80s, a week before I started working at a brand new theater in the western suburbs, these lowlifes bombed it in the hopes of scaring and shaking down the owner. Oooo.....the sordid underbelly of suburbia!

Just finished this.

I mentioned before I'm not an Eggers fan. Read A Heartbreaking Work... and was really turned off by it. However I really really enjoyed this.

( Hint, Maudie....I looking at you).

I know, I know! :lol I'll give it a go one of these days, I promise.

I also need to catch up on my Nick Hornbys. And I've read some really nice reviews of George Carlin's last book, Last Words, sort of an autobiography-as-dictated-to-Tony Hendra.