Now Reading in the Old Year

41MH-fl71OL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

God help me, I'm going in. Anybody know a good site to help walk me through it?

I have not read this one, but I read "V" a couple years back. It was an effort to get thru, but really stuck with me. There are some images from that book that I will never shake.

Let us know how this one is, I might need to dive in one day, as well.

I've finally started Updike's Rabbit series. Enjoying it so far.

I recently read the first two and enjoyed them more than I thought.

BTW, I just hit page 600 of DFWs "Infinite Jest". It gets so much better after things start falling into place.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thatbirdhasmywings2.jpg

Powerful autobiography of a California death row inmate. He tells the straight-forward story of a foster/institutional child to convicted criminal. While making no excuses for himself, Masters details the failures of a system designed to save children that usually sets them up for failure; but not forgetting his own subsequent bad decisions. If anyone knows or deals with deeply troubled young people this book could possibly speak true to them. Masters is a gifted writer as well, and I sympathize with him for having had to write his entire book with only a pen filler. He is not allowed an actual pen.

Reading, and loving, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. It's not about tea, but this quote, about tea, I read last night and was struck by:

The tea ritual: such a precise repetition of the same gestures and the same tastes; accession to simple, authentic and refined sensations, a license given to all, at little cost, to become aristocrats of taste, because tea is the beverage of the wealthy and the poor; the tea ritual, therefore, has the extraordinary virtue of introducing into the absurdity of our lives an aperture of serene harmony. Yes, the world may aspire to vacuousness, lost souls mourn beauty, insignificance surrounds us. Then let us drink a cup of tea. Silence descends, one hears the wind outside, autumn leaves rustle and take flight, the cat sleeps in a warm pool of light. And, with each swallow, time is sublimed.

:lol

Good luck, Moss. Keep us posted. I am smack dab in the middle of DeLillo's Underworld right now.

:lol

Underworld has been on my list for awhile as well.

So far Gravity is pretty much what I expected. I have to have the internet nearby at all times or I'm lost. GON may be right on this one but I'm going to soldier on. It has it's moments. Thanks for the words of encouragement (you too Neon).

Good luck, keep your wits about you, and you'll probably make it halfway through the second chapter.

Godspeed, man.

F*** you Pynchon and your 2 bit bullshit obscure minutia!

Is he dreaming...no he's awake, wait a minute, it's the 200th new character being introduced. And why is it first person, I thought it was third person...wait no, it's back to first person. What does Cary Grant have to do with anything? And what's a Balaclava helmet?

F*** you Pynchon for making me feel stupid.

I quit.

F*** you Pynchon and your 2 bit bullshit obscure minutia!

Is he dreaming...no he's awake, wait a minute, it's the 200th new character being introduced. And why is it first person, I thought it was third person...wait no, it's back to first person. What does Cary Grant have to do with anything? And what's a Balaclava helmet?

F*** you Pynchon for making me feel stupid.

I quit.

I know exactly how you feel. It starts off so promising, with one of my all time favorite beginnings “A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.” – and what follows is great, but then, as you stated, everything goes all pear shaped, and just trying to tread water becomes much too difficult. I’m in love with Pynchon’s command of language, and there’s a great book in there somewhere, but ultimately, for me, mining it really just takes too much work. I’m not afraid of difficult novels, far from it, but GR is another beast entirely.

It’s unfortunate that Infinite Jest often gets compared to GR, as the comparison has probably dissuaded lots of folks from attempting it, IJ – which, is a fucking cakewalk in comparison.

I know exactly how you feel. It starts off so promising, with one of my all time favorite beginnings “A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.” – and what follows is great, but then, as you stated, everything goes all pear shaped, and just trying to tread water becomes much too difficult. I’m in love with Pynchon’s command of language, and there’s a great book in there somewhere, but ultimately, for me, mining it really just takes too much work. I’m not afraid of difficult novels, far from it, but GR is another beast entirely.

It’s unfortunate that Infinite Jest often gets compared to GR, as the comparison has probably dissuaded lots of folks from attempting it, IJ – which, is a fucking cakewalk in comparison.

Yeah, I don't mind working a little bit on a book but it stopped being fun and even really possible for me to understand it. At least I won't have it sitting on my nightstand taunting me anymore, I gave it a shot.

I can't wait to read IJ, I have been holding off for the right time (like vacation) so I can really dig in to it. Good to hear it's a bit more accessible.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still(!) working my way through the one about the fires. It's good stuff, but I've been distracted by fluff. :)

Just finished this (fluff! but a good read, anyway):

32252645.jpg

Next up:

40833657.JPG

(she's one of my absolute favorites, although I generally prefer her short stories to the full-length novels)

and

(wait for it)

16368239.jpg

This is your last chance, Dave Eggers!

watchmen-and-philosophy.jpg

I've had this recommended to me from fans of Watchmen. I loved the "graphic novel" and the 2 versions of the film (theatrical/Director's Cut).

I still have yet to see the "Ultimate Cut" which finally integrates the Tales Of The Black Freighter.

I began to flip through this and think that I will find this extremely interesting.

just finished Poseidon's Steed (all about Seahorses). started this, a friend suggested it, so far I have found, as hard as the author tries, there's still some underlying sexism running through it...which is ironic because part of the point of the book is to not do that:

Book%20Wonder%20of%20Boys.jpg

Started "Botany of Desire" last night and I'm loving it.

While all of Pollan's works are tremendous (except In Defense Of Food. I think he lost his muse after he switched coasts), this might be my favorite. Even the title is perfection.

As a horticulturist, I often wonder at this miraculous, intelligent, symbiotic relationship. Pollan covers a lot of ground in Botany of Desire.

^Thirded^ I have never seen that. Is it new?

Yes, hardback. Watterson has been a recluse since retiring in 1995. He may or may not have been interviewed for this book. The author teases the reader with that possibility right at the start. I'm a third-of-the-way into it and so far Watterson's story has been an interesting journey.

Yes, hardback. Watterson has been a recluse since retiring in 1995. He may or may not have been interviewed for this book. The author teases the reader with that possibility right at the start. I'm a third-of-the-way into it and so far Watterson's story has been an interesting journey.

This has gotta be the guy who wrote an article - can't remember where I read it - about the reclusiveness of Watterson, wherein he visited the town he reportedly lived in, and thought he might have spotted him in a coffee shop...one of those pieces I can't place but I come back to thinking about once in a while.

This has gotta be the guy who wrote an article - can't remember where I read it - about the reclusiveness of Watterson, wherein he visited the town he reportedly lived in, and thought he might have spotted him in a coffee shop...one of those pieces I can't place but I come back to thinking about once in a while.

So far (in the book) Martell has written Watterson a letter and spoken to close colleagues about securing any kind of dialogue. The book jacket states Martell has written for many mags: RS; Paste; Giant; Men's Health; High Times; Flaunt; and is a contributing editor of Filter. He has also written books about DMB and Beck. He said he didn't enjoy writing the Beck book, wasn't into it. The Watterson book was his idea,though.