So, what can you live without?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I had to sell my motorcycle, all my stereo gear, and 95% of my record collection. And I still ended up in bankruptcy. And losing the house. On top of that I split with my wife 4 weeks ago, and we have 2 kids.

So yeah, keep your chin up and quit bitching about your gourmet beer.

high-speed internet?

premium movie channels?

Cable TV?

Bottled water?

Cell phones?

$2+ coffee?

Concert tickets that cost more than $30?

If this is all I have to live without, I will do jumping jacks. Sign me up right now. There was a time (not so long ago, I might add) when I had none of this stuff.

EDIT: also, I assume this means that I can keep my Ferrari? :)

high speed internet? we have "lite" internet, about $20/mon. Husband is looking for work & I take classes on-line, so we do need it.

premium movie channels? yes, they were gone when Dexter & True Blood were over.

Cable TV? sadly, no. I really do enjoy tv.

Bottled water? never buy it, have a filter on the tap

Cell phones? I don't have one!

$2+ coffee? We have really yummy coffee at work & it's free

Concert tickets that cost more than $30? I don't see that many concerts, the ones that I have bought recently have been expensive- but well worth it.

Last year I had to sell my motorcycle, all my stereo gear, and 95% of my record collection. And I still ended up in bankruptcy. And losing the house. On top of that I split with my wife 4 weeks ago, and we have 2 kids.

Wow. Tough all the way around. Beyond tough.

Best wishes for you, man.

Guest Speed Racer

Things I already live without:

Internet at home, haircuts (cut my own), alcohol, soda, bottled water (read: idiot tax), television or movie services of any sort outside of the library, new CDs, DVDs or books (just don't buy 'em anymore), concert tickets (don't care for crowds at shows - feels as if I'm paying to listen to my iPod at Hartsfield).

Things I could live without:

Car (I've got three bikes, and I'm fixing to sell one), Y membership, eating out, the one cup of coffee I buy every week, not registering for as many road races, avocados and chocolate milk.

I'm ridiculously cheap. I already have about six months of living expenses in savings after 18 months in the working world, and really try not to spend unless I have to. On the other hand, I just switched from paying my parents $10/month to be on their family plan cell to get a local area code where I am. Partially for pure financial independence, partially because I wanted a local number.

There's always someone worse off. Sorry to hear about your problems, seriously.

Vibes, man!

I think most of us would (hopefully not will) find out we're more resilient than we think.

Thanks for the vibes, Vince et al. I am doing ok...it's actually not as bad as it probably sounds. We have to be grateful for health, a job, and food on the table. Take things one day at a time, and.....er, ok I am running out of cliches here. Ya know what I mean though.

I'm so sorry Noam :ermm

I had no idea :upset

Love and Hugs,

Ellen

I could live without cable as long as I had internet. I would need internet because I have online classes and to actually attend school would cost me more because it's an hour away and I'd have to pay daycare. So I'd actually save by having the internet.

I could live without concert tickets since I haven't been to a concert since 2005 anyways.

I could live without bottled water. I don't know the last time I bought water.

I could live without coffee (believe it or not) I haven't had it in about a month.

I don't have premium movie channels.

I'm not sure about cell phones. I like to be accessible, especially since I have kids and will be driving a long way to go to school (when I start nursing school and actually have to go to the main campus and to my clinicals)

i am very sad that i had to cut out the concert tickets. and for anyone that knows me, that's a big deal, i averaged 2 to 3 shows a month, travel and concerts went out the window about 6 months ago. i go see Andrew Bird next week, that will be my last concert for a while.

i've become much more efficient with my coffee (make it at home instead of splurging).

my cable and internet run $50 together, so i am holding onto that until i absolutely have to give it up, mostly because i have a total deal that i'll never be able to get later on.

and someone mentioned haircuts, yeah, at $75 a pop, thank goodness i decided to try for long hair again, :).

high-speed internet? Nope, need it for work

premium movie channels? Anytime, we haven't got them and never will. Cinema is so much better anyway.

Cable TV? We have a good old Satellite dish which offers more channels than we have the time to watch

Bottled water? Nope, I hate tab water

Cell phones? Nope, need it for work

$2+ coffee? I never buy coffee anywhere other than with a McDonalds meal every 3+ months

Concert tickets that cost more than $30? Depends on who's playing

I could live without a lot of stuff, but I would be sad if I had to give up satellite radio and Netflix.