Should Wilco bring back Jay Bennett?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like saying Bob Dylan is worthless because he voice doesn't sound like Tony Bennett.

If Bennett was all that, why has he not been able to do much on his own post-Wilco?

I really don't see much connection between Wilco's career and Tony Bennett's career.

It would certainly be a logical progression:

Country>Rock>Pop>Experimental>Smooth Jazz (Adult Contemporary)>The Standards

Guest Wilco Rules Me

I have been a fan/seeing Wilco since 95 or 96 (I forget whenever Being There first came out). I love Jay Bennett, I love the tunes that were created with that duo.

I like each album. Of course some more than others. Summerteeth has some great songs but my least favorite by far. While Being There and YHF are my favorite albums. Then SBS came out and I was blown away. Then I saw them live after SBS and was even more blown away. Absolutely one of the best live bands, I mean they are so hot right now.

Anyway as a Black Crowes fan I should tell you bringing up old shit and bringing back old members does not work. It may work for a year ahem 2005 but it never works out in the long run.

This is all hypothetical of course so to answer the question of the thread I say nope.

I do think however that Chris and Rich of the Black Crowes should give Jay Bennett a ring. Replace the oven mitts they got on keys now and maybe have tryouts against between he and Luther for guitar.

By they way the two songs Side with the Seeds and You Are My Face off of SBS are so outstanding that I am glad the events of Wilco's life turned out as they did.

I have been a fan/seeing Wilco since 95 or 96 (I forget whenever Being There first came out). I love Jay Bennett, I love the tunes that were created with that duo.

I like each album. Of course some more than others. Summerteeth has some great songs but my least favorite by far. While Being There and YHF are my favorite albums. Then SBS came out and I was blown away. Then I saw them live after SBS and was even more blown away. Absolutely one of the best live bands, I mean they are so hot right now.

Anyway as a Black Crowes fan I should tell you bringing up old shit and bringing back old members does not work. It may work for a year ahem 2005 but it never works out in the long run.

This is all hypothetical of course so to answer the question of the thread I say nope.

I do think however that Chris and Rich of the Black Crowes should give Jay Bennett a ring. Replace the oven mitts they got on keys now and maybe have tryouts against between he and Luther for guitar.

By they way the two songs Side with the Seeds and You Are My Face off of SBS are so outstanding that I am glad the events of Wilco's life turned out as they did.

Best 14th post of all time.

Well shit, if it didn't work for one band, there's no possible way it could work for another band.

This is a fun subject...However, I think I have a satisfying solution to the nostalgia. Jay Bennett, Ken Coomer, Max Johnston, Bob Egan, and LeRoy Bach along with long-out-of-work tequila swiller Sammy Hagar :dancing can collaborate and emerge as the new Wilco spinoff sensation "Wyl Cogh". They can then pool their resources, with a little help from the Cabo Wabo Foundation, and purchase and re-open the Lounge Ax under the similar although less creative, but copyright law unobtrusive, "Lounge Acts". They can then compose set lists and perform only, and I mean ONLY, songs from AM, Being There, Summerteeth, selected tracks from YHF, and "I Can't Drive 55". That way every "Wilco" demographic, although slightly compromised, will be spoken for.

I know you have been all waiting for me to wade in... hehehe

Saw Uncle Tupelo and Wilco Jay Bennett style four times between ... saw current incarnation about 20 times...no doubt the band now is much tighter and less ragged than the old Wilco... listened to a Thangisviing show from the Riviera '99 a few weeks back and it is a much flatter and not as good as the band of the last few years... the playing these days is incredible, even songs that I say "feh" to still lure me in... Haven't seen JB play in years and, honestly, haven't been real interested.

Chatting increase? Really? Listen to any of the solo Lounge Ax boots from 96-98 and you'll hear Tweedy repeatedly chiding the crowd for talking.

For sure.....people have been talking at shows ever since they took the chairs out of clubs.....hell they talked even when clubs DID have chairs. Only clubs where they announced that a club was a listening room and inforsed that policy did people NOT talk during music.

Meanwhile Jeff can do the Hummingbird dance as long as he is able

LouieB

meh.......this thread is done.........

-Robert

please stop the thread!

Yeah, I also think this thread has run its course, and if we're going to talk about "talking during shows" then that's proof of it.

I won't lock it, but if anyone has more to add pertaining to the thread topic "Should Wilco bring back Jay Bennett?" that hasn't already been said ... post away.

That is for sure, perhaps part of the Eastern Block?

Dude, the point is, if someone opens a thread about bringing Jay Bennett back into the band, he expects to read discussion about bringing Jay Bennett back into the band, not about talking during shows, what color underpants Jeff prefers, or for that matter, whether or not threads should be locked if they stray off topic. Note also, that the person talking about closing the thread is the person who started the thread, not a moderator. Seems to me it's his prerogative to do with his thread whatever he likes.

You're certainly welcome to start (another) thread about talking at concerts, or search the archives for any number of previous threads on the topic, if you would like.

Guest Wilco Rules Me
Dude, the point is, if someone opens a thread about bringing Jay Bennett back into the band, he expects to read discussion about bringing Jay Bennett back into the band, not about talking during shows, what color underpants Jeff prefers, or for that matter, whether or not threads should be locked if they stray off topic. Note also, that the person talking about closing the thread is the person who started the thread, not a moderator. Seems to me it's his prerogative to do with his thread whatever he likes.

You're certainly welcome to start (another) thread about talking at concerts, or search the archives for any number of previous threads on the topic, if you would like.

Thanks dude.

I understand now. A thread may be open to discuss any topic, but one must not stray from said topic or thread has high potential of being closed.

The avatar suits you.