Should Wilco bring back Jay Bennett?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work Derek, another fine read on GloNo. Anyway, my opinions on this matter have been stated and re-stated quite a bit here, I'd be thrilled if Bennett and Tweedy wrote songs together again. It's possible this is simply a case of the grass is always greener on the other side. We don't know what would happen if Jay comes back into the band so our perception on the matter is limitless. Jay could return today, bring his endless supply of gear to the loft by the weekend, and bam! we're back to getting Jesus, etc quality tunes out of the band. Or it's equally possible that it wouldn't work at all. For every successful reunion aren't there at least 20 that don't work, and let's face it would it ever really work again, wouldn't Jay always have his firing in the back of his mind everytime he fought for one of his ideas. Wouldn't Tweedy get flashbacks to some of the worst days of his life every time Jay tried to figure out what track the orchestra going into the next song was on? Well it did work for Dinosaur Jr...

--Mike.

... it's like telling your friend to get back in an abusive relationship with an ex they have no interest in anymore.

Unfortunately, we're the unruly children from that relationship. Our new step-father is great to us and all, but he's not as fun as dad.

"14. If we're bringing Jay back then Susan Miller Tweedy needs to reopen Lounge Ax too. This is a package deal."

This is the only part that I would agree with just because I'm jealous of everyone who ever has been there. The person who got me into Wilco was from Chicago and got to see Wilco and many other cool acts there. By the time I made it to Chicago, it was too late...*sigh*

Well it could never go back to being "that" Wilco either way.

#1 Jeff's voice is totally different now. His post YHF surgery changed fundamentally the timbre of his voice.

#2 They aren't playing the tiny "rock" venues they used to anymore. Which I think is a bummer for most of us but great for them.

#3. Tweedy moved on. Just as I wouldn't expect anything other then nostalgia from a UT reunion neither would I expect some great new tracks from a Bennett return.

All that being said I really hope they polish up the YHF demos for a 10 year anniv edition of the album. Maybe Jay could work on that a bit?

I swear I'm the only one who likes that song. And not just a little bit.

One of my favorite songs on SBS. No shit.

this must be the first time i read the text as saying "wilco is equal to, or less than a ghost that is born"

no matter, i never liked the production on the album anyway!

ETA: there's no need to put Nels on such a high pedestal and Jay down the gutter... they both have/had their advantages

Do Jeff and Jay even talk to each other anymore?

With respect to Derek.......

These are the kinds of things that makes Jeff go :rolleyes X 10.......which makes any kind of "reunion" less likely .

For the record, I listen to everything up to YHF fairly regularly..........after, I tend to the AGIB demos and listened to SBS maybe three times. so draw your conclusions from that.

AND if Jeff asked .......I suspect Jay would say "No Thanks".......not out of spite......but really he may be happy where he's at. WOW what a concept.

Here's to hopin' for a Bennett-Burch tour in the near future!!! :pirate

-Robert