Should Wilco bring back Jay Bennett?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if he can legitimately be called the producer. He may have known what track was on what tape to a greater degree, but producer?

Producer by hijacking.

Regardless of what he adds to the band/shows, bring back Bennett and Wilco is no longer an active band.

I'd like to see some Jay + Jeff acoustic tours. Maybe a little piano + guitars, just the two of them.

like this little nice one (jay played piano on most/if not all of it.. i'll have to listen again):

1996-11-20 Jeff Tweedy & Jay Bennett C'est What Toronto, ON, Canada

1. Red-Eyed And Blue

2. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)

3. Why Would You Wanna Live

4. Outtasite (Outta Mind)

5. Box Full Of Letters

6. Forget The Flowers

7. What's The World Got In Store

8. We've Been Had

9. Sunken Treasure

10. Dreamer In My Dreams

11. Pick Up The Change

12. Passenger Side

13. Misunderstood

14. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Jay Bennett is a great traditional songwriter. He can do the verse chorus verse thing better than most working songwriters today. But it seems to me that Jeff Tweedy wanted to go a bit further out than that. Not to mention the need to be clean and sober and away from the people he used to be around that encouraged that behavior, i.e.:

"14. We like to get drunk - When Jay Bennett was in the band we got crazy drunk at your shows. Now they are in fancy theaters with limits on alcohol sales and stupid prices."

"2. The Ludes vibe of the entire Summerteeth album..."

I do think that Jay Bennett's contributions are considerable. Ken Coomer left the band around the same time and was with the band earlier on, yet no one sits around complaining about the lack of Coomer action on SBS. Thats because Ken Coomer is no Glenn Kotche. But Nels Cline is obviously no Jay Bennett.

And finally, it would be awesome if Jay would get back together with Edward Burch and tour or do something, put together a band with Coomer. Think of how sweet it would be if we could look forward to a new Wilco record AND a new record from a just-as-great Jay Bennett band.

Sorry about the rambling.

In the name of the fans

Not in my name, excuse me, Sir. I like to be asked before someone assumes that something is happening in my name. Thank you.

One reason why Jay shouldn't be back with Wilco is that we might not get any more Jay solo stuff then.

Not in my name, excuse me, Sir. I like to be asked before someone assumes that something is happening in my name. Thank you.

One reason why Jay shouldn't be back with Wilco is that we might not get any more Jay solo stuff then.

Of course, it may be a surefire way of not having to hear anymore of it also. :stunned

Jeff fired Jay.

Jeff was tired of the drama associated with Jay.

Jeff is HAPPY with the band now.

Wilco is Jeff's band.

Just what is so difficult to understand about the above statements?

most of my memorable wilco concerts had Jay Bennett in the band, but that was Wilco in the 90s, much younger much more musically immature, they were a rocking band starting to get experimental but mostly good old rock and roll and Bennett was a vehicle for that music.

once Kotche got here, things started changing, then Nels, so on....I love Jay B. But the band is different now, completely different band. more mature, more experimental, still rocking but in different way.

with respect to nels, Jay blows him out of the water when it comes to the "country" tunes. But it is all guitar styles. Jay is more rock/country licks where Nels is jazz oriented. Totally different styles.

I like the way it was and i like the way it is NOW.

Precisely the reason i prefer Wilco with Jay Bennett.

That's why it's all subjective. Jay is way more of a "traditional" pentatonic/major scale player. Nels is from outer space but with an amazing sense of melody. He clearly knows his music theory but does not use it like he just swallowed a scales book. They both have their place. I think the direction the band is going fits Nels better than Jay. But heck, they both brought/bring incredible musicianship.

I think the direction the band is going fits Nels better than Jay.

Precisely the reason i prefer Wilco with Jay Bennett.

:)

No doubt Nels is a great guitarist, and I like some of the stuff he brings, but his style is never going to be my favorite.

Another slow day in the music world.

The Jay Bennett band will always have a place in most Wilco fans hearts (mine included) but things change and so do people. So it goes.

LouieB

have people forgotten about Max Johnston & Bob Egan?.... they also had key parts in the sound. thats what i dont understand about Jay getting all the talk about leaving.

oh, and i miss Leroy!

The answer to your question is for the most part yes. Casual fans probably couldn't even pick Egan or Johnston out of a police lineup-- hell I am more than a casual fan and I probably couldn't even point Egan to you. They are both lumped in with only one era of the band, whereas Jay was around for the alt-country days, helped take the band into the Summerteeth direction, and then helped with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot as well. Egan and Johnston were eventually replaced by Leroy, who overshadows them in the same way Kotche overshadows Coomer.

Jay also made significant contributions to the songwriting, which no other ex-member of Wilco really has done at least to the best of my knowledge.

--Mike

IF you really think about it those who say he was only a rock/country guitarist, he wasn't even there for the Yankee tour which arguably is one of their first "out-there" albums. He was only there for the 90s Alt-country-rock tours. This is what the tunes called for and he just blended. If it werent for him on that album Wilco would be vastly different. And who knows if he woulda toured with them on that tour what crazy stuff he wulda picked up as they got more and more out there. He is essential to Wilco and I love the man.

I wish they could make ammends just so that we could get a few more awesome tunes or maybe even a few Tweedy/Bennett shows. I love Jeff but with bennett they were un-stoppable.

BUT the current lineup kicks my ass in the best way haha but they sound best on some of the songs that arent even there era.

Idk I could never complain with Wilco.......I like SBS but there are some tunes i skip......I guess we'll see how this "new" line-up does in there second full studio album to judge.

IF you really think about it those who say he was only a rock/country guitarist, he wasn't even there for the Yankee tour which arguably is one of their first "out-there" albums. He was only there for the 90s Alt-country-rock tours. This is what the tunes called for and he just blended. If it werent for him on that album Wilco would be vastly different. And who knows if he woulda toured with them on that tour what crazy stuff he wulda picked up as they got more and more out there. He is essential to Wilco and I love the man.

I wish they could make ammends just so that we could get a few more awesome tunes or maybe even a few Tweedy/Bennett shows. I love Jeff but with bennett they were un-stoppable.

BUT the current lineup kicks my ass in the best way haha but they sound best on some of the songs that arent even there era.

Idk I could never complain with Wilco.......I like SBS but there are some tunes i skip......I guess we'll see how this "new" line-up does in there second full studio album to judge.

You know Bennett performed on AM, right?