Suggest Some Strings

I've been really getting into bowed instruments and string arrangements in rock (or indie if you prefer) music lately. Andrew Bird is an obvious example, but also I think Cloud Cult does it very well as does Super Furry Animals and Sigur Ros (I never got into Polyphonic Spree). Help me find some good stuff to seek out. Who else is doing it well?

the avett brothers tour with a chellist, the man can rock it, and Bob Crawford does magical things with that upright bass

Oh I loves me some Dregs! What If... Night of the Living Dregs... some of my favorites. I want to take each and every person that worships at the altar of Jimmy Herring and sit them down and make them listen to the entire Dregs catalog (not that there's anything wring with Herring!).

King Crimson, circa '72-'74. David Cross is the violinist - some of the most seriously brain-damaged music ever in Rock imo. You MUST hear "Providence" from the Red LP if you're not already familiar.

A newer band that popped to mind is: Horse Feathers

I like the Alejandro Escovedo mention above. You'll find tasteful use of cello and violin on most of his records.

Matt Pond PA

Tindersticks

I'll second the Horse Feathers recommendation. And there's this:

61SF0BKCATL._AA240_.jpg

As a fiddle player, I absolutely love Scarlet Rivera's contributions to the Rolling Thunder-era Dylan recordings. Hard Rain is probably my favorite.

Oh god. Did you catch them on Letterman? I fell in love with Zach Condon all over again.

Exactly right! I would not have come up with that one without seeing them on Letterman. They sounded good.