Joaquin Phoenix - Wha?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Borat-style release forms and the "day-to-day life" aspect of the film further point to this being a hoax-umentary. I hope the finished product is entertaining...

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/02/...in_phoenix.html

Joaquin Phoenix is still setting tongues wagging with his bizarre behavior.

The former hottie turned a screening of his new film,

I don't buy that it was a put-on. I think he's whacked out on the goof balls.

:lol I never understood why it would be a put-on as he doesn't need the publicity, etc.. The mockumentary provides some explanation if that is the case. I had thought that he was a clean and sober guy.

If this is some sort of mocumentary type of thing, it better be really funny when it comes out.

Isn't Casey Affleck his brother-in-law and doing a dcumentary on him? I believe he is actually putting an album out and leaving the acting behind. Maybe it is a ruse, but it looked like legitimate drug-fueld paranoia and muttering to me.

Isn't Casey Affleck his brother-in-law and doing a dcumentary on him? I believe he is actually putting an album out and leaving the acting behind. Maybe it is a ruse, but it looked like legitimate drug-fueld paranoia and muttering to me.

But if that were the case, why would his brother-in-law be filming him, and why would his agent be setting him up with embarassing and potentially career damaging appearances on TV shows?

But if that were the case, why would his brother-in-law be filming him, and why would his agent be setting him up with embarassing and potentially career damaging appearances on TV shows?

potentially career damaging?

Put "joaquin phoenix strange" into a google search and look at how many editorials/blogs/opinion pieces have been written about his letterman interview.

Nobody was talking about him a month ago.

However, I do remember a story about him on a red carpet a year or two ago, that he was mumbling incoherently about his eyelids or something else equivalently strange... I think the simple explanation is: The dude likes to party with hallucinogenics. I wouldn't mind taking shrooms before my Letterman appearance either...

Regardless if this is an "act" or not, it plainly seems like he is doing this because it amuses him, and bully for him for doing so. He's a millionaire and probably doesn't need to protect his brand image - whatever that may be. It's not as if this "performance art" is a huge gamble that could end up bankrupting him if it fails...

potentially career damaging?

Put "joaquin phoenix strange" into a google search and look at how many editorials/blogs/opinion pieces have been written about his letterman interview.

Nobody was talking about him a month ago.

Fair enough. I still say it's an act, but we'll find out soon enough.

Joaquin was raised in a child-molesting cult, so he is probably shithouse-rat crazy as it is. I could be wrong, but Kaufman never sat there like he was on 'ludes.

How would his agent know he'd show up incoherent when he booked him?

I could be wrong, but Kaufman never sat there like he was on 'ludes.

Exactly - Kaufman's whole thing was about challenging accepted notions of what constituted "entertainment." It's not as if he dabbled with this kind of thing: confusing appearances.

My favorite Kaufman appearance on Letterman was when he came on dressed as a nigh-naked swami, then proceeded to sing a Slim Whitman song in a perfectly beautiful falsetto voice.

Exactly - Kaufman's whole thing was about challenging accepted notions of what constituted "entertainment." It's not as if he dabbled with this kind of thing: confusing appearances.

My favorite Kaufman appearance on Letterman was when he came on dressed as a nigh-naked swami, then proceeded to sing a Slim Whitman song in a perfectly beautiful falsetto voice.

Isnt this what we are talking about? His appearance being entertaining or not? Is it entertainment or is it real? Just what Kaufman did.

Alot of people didnt know what to think about the whole wrestling thing Kaufman did, alot thought it was real.