WILCO April 14, 15 @ Pabst in MKE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, isn't Athens Georgie about the same distance for you? The Classic Center looks nice.

Both Asheville and Athens are around 2 1/2 hours from here (athens is probably closer to 3 hours, tho) but while Asheville is straight shot down the interstate, Athens isn't. Maybe if the show was on a weekend, I would go since I have a high school friend who lives there. But it's not, so Asheville is the safer bet.

And also, FYI Thomas Wolfe is all reserved seating. But that doesn't stop people with balcony seats from coming down and filling up all of the aisles.

And also, FYI Thomas Wolfe is all reserved seating. But that doesn't stop people with balcony seats from coming down and filling up all of the aisles.

Isn't the balcony set back really far from the stage at the Thomas Wolfe? I don't think it's a great venue, but that's where I saw my first Wilco show, so it holds a special place in my heart. :) My seats were pretty close both times I saw them there but in the middle of the row, and I don't remember being bothered by people rushing the stage.

Isn't the balcony set back really far from the stage at the Thomas Wolfe? I don't think it's a great venue, but that's where I saw my first Wilco show, so it holds a special place in my heart. :) My seats were pretty close both times I saw them there but in the middle of the row, and I don't remember being bothered by people rushing the stage.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the balcony. Since I was on the floor, I really didn't pay much attention to it. My friends sat up there, though. I'll have to ask them about it, just for curiosity's sake. If I go to the April show, I think I'll try for middle of the row seats this time. Aisle seats just aren't worth it.

Didn't I sell you tickets to the 2005 show?? You and WITHIK, who sat right next to me. What an experience that was. :lol Actually he wasn't that bad of a guy, he was just really drunk.

Both Asheville and Athens are around 2 1/2 hours from here (athens is probably closer to 3 hours, tho) but while Asheville is straight shot down the interstate, Athens isn't. Maybe if the show was on a weekend, I would go since I have a high school friend who lives there. But it's not, so Asheville is the safer bet.

Sounds like it's not the best venue, but to me the big thing is crowd behavior. After seeing Wilco in Charlotte, and then in Charleston, there was a huge difference. Everyone in Charlotte was very bahaved and seemed to be having the time of their lives. Charleston; there were people talking during the show, drunk idiots harrassing the band, and the over all vibe was just kind of negative until about the last 4 songs or so.

From my experience, Asheville is a great town for music. And again, everyone seems to be down to earth and respectful to the band at any concert I've ever been to there.

Let's just hope Wilco doesn't get to be asked to play on a major network TV show... ;)

Show is Reserved. Will not move to Riverside.

Screw that, move em to Turner and make em GA.

Pabst in Milwaukee: replacing Otto's in Dekalb for the "2 shows, near-but-not-in Chicago in the spring before a new album" tour kick-off semi-ritual.

Didn't I sell you tickets to the 2005 show?? You and WITHIK, who sat right next to me. What an experience that was. :lol Actually he wasn't that bad of a guy, he was just really drunk.

:lol You know, I think you did! I remember hoping to get a chance to meet you, but alas, it didn't happen. Next time! :yes

I was at the Athens show in 2006 and thought it was pretty unpleasant. Of course going in I didn't know it was basically a giant basement with no seats. Call me old for not wanting to stand and elbow bump. The sound wasn't the best, as others have pointed out. But I was mostly put off by the bratty college kids who weren't paying attention and talked the whole time.

On the up side, Asheville here I come!

You know, I was really psyched about this show since I haven't been to a show since the Residency. But then I found out that it is in the pit at the Classic Center again. I was at the 2006 show and venue is really bad. The sound was awful (so much so that when I talked to Tweedy after a show later in the tour, when I mentioned the Athens show, he commented on the terrible sound at that place), I agree about the college kids and it just isn't worth it to me to drive out to Athens from Atlanta for it. It hurts to say it, but I think I will wait for a tour once the album is out. I was planning on bringing my boyfriend for what will be his first Wilco show, but I really don't want this one to be his first experience with them live.

The Rave is probably the worst venue I've ever seen a show at. After seeing Andrew Bird and Wilco there a couple years back and hearing nothing but echos the entire show, I have vowed never to go back there regardless of who's playing.

Worst. Venue. Ever.

Thank god for the Pabst.

Agreed. The recording I have of the show is surprisingly good. The Pabst is one of the finest venues anywhere in the country. What a treat.

:lol You know, I think you did! I remember hoping to get a chance to meet you, but alas, it didn't happen. Next time! :yes

That was a bad night all around for me. My friends ran late and we made it to the show just in time for Wilco. Didn't even have time to enjoy any of the wonderful restaurants in Asheville. Hopefully this next time will be better.

Turner Hall is about the same as the Rave as far as sound quality goes (shitastic), based on my very scientific single visit there to see the Black Keys last year.

oh man Turner is great. I was at that black keys show and I remember the sound being great. I've seen probably ten or so shows there and the sound is always excellent.

But I think I'd rather see wilco at the Pabst versus Turner

Pre Sale and On Sale Info Now Up On Wilcoworld.net EXCEPT 4/14, 15, 16 & 17

APR-18 KNOXVILLE, TN TENNESSEE THEATRE

Pre-Sale begins Wednesday, February 18 via MusicToday Public On Sale begins Friday, February 20.

APR-20 ATHENS, GA CLASSIC CENTER

Pre-Sale begins Wednesday, February 18 via MusicToday Public On Sale begins Friday, February 20.

APR-21 ASHEVILLE, NC THOMAS WOLFE AUDITORIUM

APR-22 BIRMINGHAM, AL SLOSS FURNACES

APR-23 OXFORD, MS LYRIC OXFORD

I was at the classic center theater show in 2002 and recall the sound was great. Also saw Elvis Costello there years ago.

I still remember the greatest line i ever heard at a wilco show there... after the first few lines of 'passenger side' some guy behind me said "this shit isn't on foxtrot". i think jeff made references to the fans seeing CATS there at some point... it was my first non-general admission wilco show.

I'M GOING!! I'M GOING!!

Sorry -- I'm just overwhelemd with joy cause my hubby agreed to go. He seriously didnt want to. I had to promise that I'll never make him travel again to see Wilco cuz we did drive to Detroit (from Cleve) to see them open for Neil. Whatever. I'll bet if they ever play St Ignace MI or someplace that that he'd travel!

Anyhoo -- so I booked a room at the OU Inn and Conv Center -- that looks pretty close to Campus. I've never been to OU, I've heard of the infamous Halloween Night. Where to eat? drink? Any assistance on that would be appreciated. Very liberal cancel policy, so if I get boned on tickets (horrible thought), then I'm not stuck.

Make sure you hit up Casa Catina to eat and drink. Great local food, great bar, and friendly folks.

Well, the presale for many of these shows starts in 30 minutes. Let the pre-sale madness begin!

I've tried pre-sale twice and was unsuccessful both times. BUT I ended up still getting great seats through ticketbastard. We'll see.

It's been a while since I've tried for presale tickets but I'm going to today because I won't be near a computer Friday. i just went to the music today website and it says tickets go on sale 10:00 am "local time". What does this mean??

It's been a while since I've tried for presale tickets but I'm going to today because I won't be near a computer Friday. i just went to the music today website and it says tickets go on sale 10:00 am "local time". What does this mean??

Yeah, that's misleading isn't it! I assume that means Eastern, but I guess we'll find out.

Wait, just found this:

"all on sale times begin are based on the local time in which the venue is located unless otherwise noted. "

oh man Turner is great. I was at that black keys show and I remember the sound being great. I've seen probably ten or so shows there and the sound is always excellent.

But I think I'd rather see wilco at the Pabst versus Turner

I beg to differ. I have seen probably 8-10 shows at Turner Hall and find it to be only marginally better than the sound at the Rave (not Eagles Ballroom-that is THE WORST). Turner has a muddy sound and they really can't alter the acoustics at all. It's a historic building.

The Pabst will be incredible for Wilco.

I was at that black keys show and I remember the sound being great.

Seriously???

The sound was so muddy that I could barely recognize what songs they were playing, and I could barely hear any vocals.

I've seen them 4 times, and the two shows in Milwaukee (Rave and Turner) were by far the worst. (The best 2 being First Ave. in Minneapolis and Paradiso in Amsterdam.) I had to apologize to friends that I was trying to turn on to the Black Keys because the sound was one big echo-y loud mess.

/hijack

Wow, already:

"At this moment there are not enough tickets available to fulfill your request. Please try again using a lower quantity of tickets or choosing a different ticket type.

• Currently there are not enough Reserved tickets to fulfill your request."

Wow, already:

"At this moment there are not enough tickets available to fulfill your request. Please try again using a lower quantity of tickets or choosing a different ticket type.

• Currently there are not enough Reserved tickets to fulfill your request."

This is why I never try for presale. It's pointless.