The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think that's the point of the video.
What is the point? Guy tries to kill his girlfriend, girlfriend tries to kill her boyfriend, she gets away, decides to hit him with the car on the way out of town, then has second thoughts and goes back and kisses him.

This is exactly the kind of behavior that domestic violence professionals try and overcome. Yea, yea I know, this is art so it doesn't count.....

LouieB

What is the point? Guy tries to kill his girlfriend, girlfriend tries to kill her boyfriend, she gets away, decides to hit him with the car on the way out of town, then has second thoughts and goes back and kisses him.

This is exactly the kind of behavior that domestic violence professionals try and overcome. Yea, yea I know, this is art so it doesn't count.....

LouieB

The point is that we beat the shit out of the ones we love best. Those violence scenes are ridiculously over the top for a reason. It isn't condoning domestic violence. It's making a point by metaphor. I thought it was great too. I'm with SirS.

The point is that we beat the shit out of the ones we love best. Those violence scenes are ridiculously over the top for a reason. It isn't condoning domestic violence. It's making a point by metaphor. I thought it was great too. I'm with SirS.

Like I said before offensive, I'm with Lou on this one. Over the top or not its still a women getting battered and instead of standing up for herself she just stays with the abuser. I think your metaphor is a stretch.

Like I said before offensive, I'm with Lou on this one. Over the top or not its still a women getting battered and instead of standing up for herself she just stays with the abuser. I think your metaphor is a stretch.

Not standing up for herself? The guy gets stabbed and smacked upside the head with a frying pan and run over by a car!! This isn't exactly a helpless woman getting battered and staying with her abuser. She wins the fight, too. Maybe I am crazy.

It's a fucking METAPHOR people. Christ. It's not a fucking DOCUMENTARY. It's ART. Fuck.

i once saw ET and then i saw Alien in the same week when i was young* - and i'm still unsure about whether i should kill an alien if i saw one, or take it home and give it some beer so i can get drunk in science class.

*this is a lie

I wonder why bands or artists even bother with making videos anymore. I have not seen the video, but the description makes me think of the Dixie Chicks video with Dennis Franz - Goodbye Earl I think the song is called.

The video is epically awful, and yes, it DOES seem to depict (but certainly not endorse or defend) behaviours associated with domestic violence. If it's a metaphor, as some claim, then it's fucking lazy and twice as stupid, so why embarrass yourself by proclaiming loudly and proudly that you like it? This is bad art, and I'm probably being generous by allowing that it's anything more than a lousy ad.

why embarrass yourself by proclaiming loudly and proudly that you like it?

Because I am not embarrassed by liking something that others dont. It's ok. The birds will still be singing tomorrow.

Are you embarrassed for me?

eta: Also, I am not sure what was so loud and proud about it. It's not like anyone is running through the streets yelling that this deserves an oscar.

Well, we've certainly seen its DEFENDERS resort to RANDOM CAPITALIZATION and orphan swear-words when discussing IT. FUCK.

Maybe "ardent" was the word I was looking for, rather than loud or proud. Just sayin'...

You're the one who had the word "Artist" in his avatar for a long time. Some artist you are. As an artist, you should at least recognize art.

Oh, I do. Thanks! I'm just not quite convinced that every single music video produced by every single record label deserves the distinction, especially considering that:

a ) most of them are made to move product.

b ) there exists such a wide gulf between the subject matter and style of a given song and its accompanying video

c ) etc.

Raise your hand if you think Bob Dylan has seen this thing or is more than peripherally aware of its existence. (For the record, my hands remain on my keyboard.)

Well, we've certainly seen its DEFENDERS resort to RANDOM CAPITALIZATION and orphan swear-words when discussing IT. FUCK.

The only random capitalization that I saw in this thread was as a direct response to the criticism that the video glorified domestic abuse of women. Which is preposterous. IT IS PREPOSTEROUS.