The Official Bob Dylan Thread

haha, of course! I just love how there are little moments in Dylan songs where you just have to shake your head. Here's another:

From the Someday Baby on Tell Tale Signs:

"everdayyyyy Im becoming more... of a hyp o crite."

haha, i love that part of the song.

i always find myself grinning during Beyond Here Lies Nothing when he sings, "well, I'm movin' after midniiiite," and his voice kind of cracks. also during If You Ever Go To Houston when he sings, "I know these streets, I have been here beforrrre, I nearly got killed here during the Mexican Warrrr." i enjoyed singing along to that when i saw Dylan a couple of weeks ago :blush

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha, of course! I just love how there are little moments in Dylan songs where you just have to shake your head.

No doubt... and there are lots of examples, but the one that always gets me is this:

Well Mack the Finger said to Louie the King

I got forty red white and blue shoe strings

And a thousand telephones that don't ring

Do you know where I can get rid of these things

And Louie the King said let me think for a minute son

And he said yes I think it can be easily done

Just take everything down to Highway 61.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Dylan could soon voice sat navigation systems

Bob Dylan, the legend of folk and rock music, could soon be directing drivers down Highway 61 as car giants frantically bid to sign him up as the new voice of their sat nav systems.

Published: 10:12AM BST 24 Aug 2009

Bob Dylan could soon voice sat navigation systems

Bob Dylan could soon be directing drivers down Highway 61as car giants frantically bid to sign him up as the new voice of their sat nav systems

The singer - a global superstar who has sold more than 70 million albums in a 45-year career - revealed that two major motor manufacturers had approached him to provide a audio road map commentary.

The 68-year-old is currently enjoying radio success on BBC 2 and 6 with his unique "Theme Time Radio Hour" show delivered in tone once described as "sandpaper singing".

He disclosed the offers from the sat nav firms on his radio show on BBC6 on Sunday night.

Dylan told his late-night radio audience: "I am talking to a couple of car companies about being the voice of their GPS system. I think it would be good if you are looking for directions and hear my voice saying somnething like: left at the next street, no a right - you know what? Just go straight.

"I probably shouldn't do it because which ever way I go I always end up at one place Lonely Avenue."

Dylan has been an acknowledged influence on artists from John Lennon and Paul McCartney to Bruce Springsteen and David Bowie.

In April this year his latest album "Together Thru Life" went straight to the top of the UK album charts as well as the Billboard 200 in America.

Other celebrity voices already available as sat nav commentaries include a bossy John Cleese, a husky Kim Cattrall, the star of "Sex in the City", Homer Simpson, Alan Partridge and Mr T.

My in-laws have John Cleese (as an option) on theirs. We used it one day, and it was actually pretty entertaining. I'd probably drive off the road listening to Dylan.

Note there's no comments from any GPS companies - Dylan's probably just fucking with us, again.

Official word on Dylan's Christmas album. We're expecting our first kid at the end of September. It's great that his first Christmas CD will be a Dylan one.

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/news/13125

christmas_cover.jpg

from the above link:

Christmas In The Heart will be the 47th album from Bob Dylan, and follows his worldwide chart-topping Together Through Life, released earlier this year. Songs performed by Dylan on this new album include, “Here Comes Santa Claus,” “Winter Wonderland,” “Little Drummer Boy” and “Must Be Santa.”

My in-laws have John Cleese (as an option) on theirs. We used it one day, and it was actually pretty entertaining. I'd probably drive off the road listening to Dylan.

Note there's no comments from any GPS companies - Dylan's probably just fucking with us, again.

Maybe Dylan is following in the footsteps of his former cohort:

9780718018771.jpg

"Jesus wept. Hello, I'm Johnny Cash."

When in doubt, put out a Christmas album.

Croaking the Christmas Hits!!!!

(Clearly NOT excited about this....but will probably pick it up anyway to lighten up the holidays...)

LouieB

Don't be a such a Scrooge, Louie. :) At least it's for charity.

I guess it's official, Charlie Sexton is rejoining the band. Should be a good thing.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/08/26/bob-dylan-welcomes-guitarist-charlie-sexton-back-into-his-band/

Geez Lou! The release says it's for charity and who it's for!

Pull yr head outta yr ass in this thread!

I did pull my head of of my ass.. I was asking WHAT charity that's all. I guess I have to go google it...just as I suggested to the guy on teh labor songs.

edit-hunger projects....okay I will buy two...

LouieB

I did pull my head of of my ass.. I was asking WHAT charity that's all. I guess I have to go google it...just as I suggested to the guy on teh labor songs.

edit-hunger projects....okay I will buy two...

LouieB

think i'll buy a few of these and give them out with Christmas gifts despite the fact that neither my family or friends share my Dylan enthusiasm.

i stumbled upon this Dylan reference while reading a review for that new Guthrie boxed set and it made me LOL...check it out:

(And speaking of the road, Guthrie heir may Bob Dylan have a new project in the works, too: lending his gravelly voice to a GPS navigation system. But can it get you—and the Memphis blues—out of Mobile?)

:yay

linkage

Track List for Christmas In The Heart

# 1 Here Comes Santa Claus

# 2 Do You Hear What I Hear?

# 3 Winter Wonderland

# 4 Hark The Herald Angels Sing

# 5 I'll Be Home For Christmas

# 6 Little Drummer Boy

# 7 The Christmas Blues

# 8 O' Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)

# 9 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

# 10 Must Be Santa

# 11 Silver Bells

# 12 The First Noel

# 13 Christmas Island

# 14 The Christmas Song

# 15 O' Little Town Of Bethlehem

From Dylan email newsletter today:

Dear Friends,

Bob Dylan and his Band will perform three special shows in Chicago at the world-renowned Aragon Ballroom, on Thursday - Saturday, October 29, 30 and 31.

There will be an exclusive bobdylan.com pre-sale starting September 8 at 10 AM CDT. All tickets are general admission. Any patron presenting a bobdylan.com pre-sale ticket in Chicago will be granted priority early admission to the venue. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on September 12 at 10 AM.

Visit bobdylan.com's tour page for the pre-sale password and link, and for a complete itinerary. Shows have been announced for Seattle, Portland, Eugene, Berkeley, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Denver, with more to come.

• 2 weeks later...