The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was an interview with Jakob Dylan in Rolling Stone a few years back where he was asked about his dad, and he said something to the effect of "People really take him for granted, they don't realize that you're not always going to be lucky enough to be living in the age of a Bob Dylan. It probably won't be until he's been gone for a hundred years that they'll recognize what he was."

It's stuck with me because it is probably true. A hundred years from now Dylan will be on the same level as Shakespeare. His work will be independent of this era, of his contemporaries. At some point even his "minor" albums will be the subject of more focus than we can imagine. So while it's easy to talk crap about MT and TTL and this Christmas album, I recognize that it's also a luxury.

There was an interview with Jakob Dylan in Rolling Stone a few years back where he was asked about his dad, and he said something to the effect of "People really take him for granted, they don't realize that you're not always going to be lucky enough to be living in the age of a Bob Dylan. It probably won't be until he's been gone for a hundred years that they'll recognize what he was."

It's stuck with me because it is probably true. A hundred years from now Dylan will be on the same level as Shakespeare. His work will be independent of this era, of his contemporaries. At some point even his "minor" albums will be the subject of more focus than we can imagine. So while it's easy to talk crap about MT and TTL and this Christmas album, I recognize that it's also a luxury.

I can agree with this.

Dylan is more than just a singer, and more than just a songwriter. Everyone who has written a song since he came out owes a huge debt to him.

It's hard to think that the most critically acclaimed rock musician of all time will only continue to grow in stature, but I can definitely see it happening.

This, Sir, is the most acurate and correct statement that will be made on this site today (Thats coming from someone who's just admitted he doesn't like the Beatles!!!). Dylan will, along with the Beatles and probably Michael Jackson, be remember through the ages. They will be studying him in English classes.

This, Sir, is the most acurate and correct statement that will be made on this site today (Thats coming from someone who's just admitted he doesn't like the Beatles!!!). Dylan will, along with the Beatles and probably Michael Jackson, be remember through the ages. They will be studying him in English classes.

Was Michael Jackson a musician?? I have ALREADY forgotten.

LouieB

I think there is a line in the book that says about what you said there. You should read that book.

I should do a lot of stuff. :lol

Anyway, I didn't think it was the most original thought I ever had. Probably picked it up from someone who heard it from someone who read the book...

I should do a lot of stuff. :lol

Anyway, I didn't think it was the most original thought I ever had. Probably picked it up from someone who heard it from someone who read the book...

Oh, I was not busting on you. I think you would like that book.

They recorded a whole album together that never came out. That is most likely Dylan's first or second home in Woodstock. I do not know which one it is. The kid in the photo is Jakob Dylan (or is it Jesse?).

Good a place to ask this as any: that's just gotta be Bobby blowing the harp on 'Apple Scruffs', right? I mean, who the hell else?

You could be right, but I think George probably figured out how to play harmonica well enough to do that.

LouieB

Probably George but you never know.... Bob's finger prints are all over that album and, for years, Clapton went uncredited on George's records (and vice versa, I believe).. so maybe Bob did too. Maybe...

So Zimmy's playing three nights in Boston come mid-November. I'm not interested in the shows ($$$) as much as the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the Song and Dance Man as he's camped in Beantown for a long weekend (shows are Fri, Sat & Sun). Maybe the time of year will stir in him some Rolling Thunder vibes - I'd better tune up the car for a trip to Lowell or Plymouth...