The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Pretty appropriate - Bob and Joan performing at the March on Washington before MLK delivered his 'I Have a Dream' speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vhNCRlXm1s&feature=related

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it was in the Scorsese's documentary where Baez was pretty critical on Dylan and his involvement with the Civil Rights Movement (as well all the other 60s causes) during the 60s, after he became popular/electric.

It would be kinda cool if she does a duet with him for this show. Can't see it happening, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Dylan & Joan Baez reunite for White House performance

Former lovers/musical collaborators Bob Dylan and Joan Baez will reunite next Wednesday, February 10th for a performance at the White House. As TwentyFourBit reports, some 47 years after she joined Dylan in Washington, DC for the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom (the same even where “I Have a Dream” went down), Baez is now set to join him, along with Smokey Robinson, John Mellencamp, the Blind Boys of Alabama, and others at another Civil Rights Event in the Nation’s Capital, this being the White House-hosted Celebration of Music from the Civil Rights Movement.

I think it was in the Scorsese's documentary where Baez was pretty critical on Dylan and his involvement with the Civil Rights Movement (as well all the other 60s causes) during the 60s, after he became popular/electric.

It would be kinda cool if she does a duet with him for this show. Can't see it happening, though.

I can't recall Baez being critical. She seems to maintain respect for his ability and the time they hung together. Now, on the other hand, some in the press and some rigid fans were none too happy about his evolution as an artist.

I can't recall Baez being critical. She seems to maintain respect for his ability and the time they hung together. Now, on the other hand, some in the press and some rigid fans were none too happy about his evolution as an artist.

YouTube clip for No Direction Home

This is the part I was talking about. She is more of critical of the fans who were asking her if Dylan was coming...

Am I the only one that doesn't necessarily see this as Dylan and Baez performing together? I'm not writing it off completely, but it seems to me that they're both performing there...but not necessarily together.

It'd sure be interesting if they did do something together, though.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I don't see ol' Bobby doing this.

I'm not sure how their voices would blend these days if they were to do a duet. I love Bob but the only people I want him dueting with are Tom Waits, Keith Richards or Shane McGowan. Now that would be a super-group. Sod the Wilbury's!!

I guess the Civil Rights Concert is going be tonight, rather than tomorrow

White house link

The White House Blog

A Celebration of Music from the Civil Rights Movement

Posted by Kori Schulman on February 09, 2010 at 02:51 PM EST

[Ed. Note: This event was moved to today due to tomorrow’s weather forecast]

Today marks the beginning of the 2010 White House music series with “In Performance at the White House: A Celebration of Music from the Civil Rights Movement” - a concert celebrating Black History month.

Watch both events live right here on WhiteHouse.gov:

I am assuming PBS will still run it on Thurs.

No duet, oh well.

Baez did "We Shall Overcome" and Dylan "The Times they are a Changin'". Dylan did play (though sparingly)an acoustic guitar, which I have not seen him do in a while. It was just him, Garnier on stand up bass, and a piano player who I did not recognize. I thought it sounded good. Baez sounded nice also, her voice seems a bit deeper than I remember.