The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True - but they usually don't have a page on Amazon.com.

There is no reason to buy bootlegs these days, unless someone is a bootleg collector, or a freak for fancy packaging.

Damn, I've had a copy of that since about 1990. I ain't buying that! :lol

The interview segments with Cynthia Gooding are pretty funny. I don't know if she was dating Dylan at the time, or just wanted to be dating him, but she had her head so far up his ass, she could probably have tasted Head & Shoulders!

From the Onion:

dylan_large.jpg

Rock Fans Outraged As Bob Dylan Goes Electronica

NEWPORT, RI—Audience members at the Newport Rock Festival were "outraged" Monday when rock icon Bob Dylan followed up such classic hits as "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Maggie's Farm" with an electronica set composed of atonal drones, hyperactive drumbeats, and the repeated mechanized lyric "Dance to the club life!" "We came here to see the authentic Dylan, the one with the Stratocaster guitar and signature wild blues-rock band behind him," audience member Robert Hochschild said. "Then he walks out with these puffy headphones, some turntables, and a laptop? The guy's a Judas." When asked later about his musical transformation by reporters, Dylan said he had nothing to say about the beats he programs, he just programs them.

From the Onion:

dylan_large.jpg

Rock Fans Outraged As Bob Dylan Goes Electronica

NEWPORT, RI—Audience members at the Newport Rock Festival were "outraged" Monday when rock icon Bob Dylan followed up such classic hits as "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Maggie's Farm" with an electronica set composed of atonal drones, hyperactive drumbeats, and the repeated mechanized lyric "Dance to the club life!" "We came here to see the authentic Dylan, the one with the Stratocaster guitar and signature wild blues-rock band behind him," audience member Robert Hochschild said. "Then he walks out with these puffy headphones, some turntables, and a laptop? The guy's a Judas." When asked later about his musical transformation by reporters, Dylan said he had nothing to say about the beats he programs, he just programs them.

Genius!!!!

someone has been sitting on that for a while i bet. read it to my wife and i had to explain it all to her.

Damn, I've had a copy of that since about 1990. I ain't buying that! :lol

The interview segments with Cynthia Gooding are pretty funny. I don't know if she was dating Dylan at the time, or just wanted to be dating him, but she had her head so far up his ass, she could probably have tasted Head & Shoulders!

thats been a common bootleg for years now, and yep, she was all over him during the interviews!. i wonder what Suze thought of it!

if it aint broke... dont fix it

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this mentioned yet: Bob Dylan's 'Bootleg Series Vol. 9' Due in October

This fall, Bob Dylan will release the latest edition of his bootleg series plus a massive collection of reissues of his earliest albums, Dylan fansite Isis reports. In October, the legend will return with the 47-track The Bootleg Series Vol. 9, which will feature studio recordings from 1962-1964 known to fans as the Witmark Demos and Leeds Demos, named after the New York studios where Dylan recorded. Dylan will also reissue his first eight albums (from his 1962 self-titled debut through 1967's John Wesley Harding) in mono format, which have never been issued on CD before. The reissues — reportedly mastered using "first issue copies of the mono LPs" in order to recreate the sound of the original LPs — will come packaged in paper sleeves with liner written by Rolling Stone contributing editor Greil Marcus.

Dylan's Early Years: Classic photos of the icon from the 1960s.

Before releasing his next batch of archival material, Dylan will spend the rest of the summer on his Never Ending Tour, including a tour-closing performance on September 4th at Seattle's Bumbershoot Festival. For 10 of those dates — from August 8th to September 3rd — Dylan will be sharing a bill with John Mellencamp. Full dates are available here and a list of tunes that are reportedly on the next Bootleg edition is below.

Check out all of Bob Dylan's appearances on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Leeds Music Demos

New York City, New York

February 1962

1. Hard Times In New York Town

2. Poor Boy Blues

3. Ballad For A Friend

4. Rambling, Gambling Willie

5. Man On The Street

6. Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues

7. Standing On The Highway

Witmark & Sons Demos

New York City, New York

December 1962

1. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

2. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

3.The Death Of Emmett Till

4.Let Me Die In My Footsteps

5. Ballad Of Hollis Brown

6.Quit Your Low Down Ways

7.Baby, I'm In The Mood For You

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

Winter 1963

1. Bound To Lose, Bound To Win

2. All Over You

3. I'd Hate To Be You On That Dreadful Day

4. Talking John Birch Paranoid Blues

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

March 1963

1. Long Time Gone

2. Masters Of War

3. Farewell

4. Oxford Town

5. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

6. Walkin' Down The Line

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

April 1963

1. I Shall Be Free

2.Bob Dylan's Blues

3.Bob Dylan's Dream

4. Boots Of Spanish Leather

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

May 1963

1. Girl From The North Country

2.Seven Curses

3.Hero Blues

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

August 1963

1. Whatcha Gonna Do

2. Gypsy Lou

3. Ain't Gonna Grieve

4.John Brown

5.Only A Hobo

6.When The Ship Comes In

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

October 1963

1. The Times They Are A-Changin'

Witmark Studio

New York City, New York

December 1963

1. Paths Of Victory

Witmark Studio,

New York City, New York

January 1964

1. Guess I'm Doing Fine

2.Baby Let Me Follow You Down (Eric von Schmidt)

Unidentified Recording Studio

New York City, New York

Mid to late June 1964

1. Mr. Tambourine Man

2.Mama, You Been On My Mind

3. I'll Keep It With Mine

That looks good.

This is the stuff most of us have been waiting for for a good long time. It has been bootlegged countless times, but it will be good to have it be officially issued. Yea!!!!!

LouieB

I'm all for some early Dylan, but from what I recall of the Witmark demos, they were not very impressive. before I got into the electric Dylan, I devoured all of his earlier stuff and for some reason, those demos seemed to lack a little edge, at least to my ears.

I recall reading something online a while back by someone connected with the Bootleg Series and he mentioned the possibility of putting out the Blonde on Blonde outtakes. man, what I'd give to hear those. from what I gather, there's a ton of stuff from these sessions that we haven't heard.

it's all good stuff, but bugger me sideways! isn't it about time they did some stuff post the crash and pre-his 90s comeback? i do keep saying this, but it just seems so bloody obvious to me that they should do it.

stuff like this would be great to hear properly

http://www.dailymoti...-virginia_music

great video. it's funny though, where dylan is sitting and the shadows etc. he looks like a giant fat man.

btw-are any of dylan's movie soundtrack tunes worth checking out. i know there's a bunch of them.

great video. it's funny though, where dylan is sitting and the shadows etc. he looks like a giant fat man.

btw-are any of dylan's movie soundtrack tunes worth checking out. i know there's a bunch of them.

what do you mean? pat garrett & billy the kid? or just random tracks from films. pat garrett is a great soundtrack, i mean ultimately it is just a soundtrack and soundtracks tend to work best with the pictures going along with it (if you get what i mean), but still definately worth hearing. Billy (1, 4 & 7 - yeah, there are a lot of versions of a few songs) are all fantastic - that's a great song, actually Gillian Welch has covered it, and then you get a few versions of Knockin' On Heaven's Door - (Final Theme, which is that song, but played with a flute is actually fantastic!), and then you get a couple of other instrumentals.

as for his songs from various movies - yeah, the modern ones are great. cross the green mountain from some film about the civil war (can't remember it's name) is cool, as is huck's tune, tell ol bill - and probably a few others which i can't remember right now.

there is also the soundtrack to masked and anonymous - don't see the film! - which is cool, the dylan songs are anyway, the covers are alright, but only a few times.

there is also the soundtrack to masked and anonymous - don't see the film!

Whoa whoa whoa! Masked & Anonymous is like a movie version of a Dylan album. Totally worth the two-hour investment. Even if you hated it, do you really wish you hadn't seen it?

Whoa whoa whoa! Masked & Anonymous is like a movie version of a Dylan album. Totally worth the two-hour investment. Even if you hated it, do you really wish you hadn't seen it?

ha ha. well - yeah. i've got it on dvd actually. the musical moments are fantastic, but the film - well, it's just boring. one of my friends watched it at my house and said it was possibly the worst film he'd ever seen.

anyway, ok - i'll amend what i said. "only see masked and anonymous AFTER YOU'VE SEEN PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID, and you're not too bothered about sitting through a really dull movie that is so much less than all of its parts"