The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I would never have the guts to approach him, I would have probably just stared like a dork. how cool to fist bump Bob Dylan.

It's funny he had him sign it "to chumlee" when it was supposed to be for selling at the store. :lol

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chumlee gave an interview where he explained how the meeting was not staged. he also mentioned how Dylan has been an icon for "20 years." :lol I do love Pawn Stars and seeing Dylan on there was neat. I loved his nervous laugh when Chumlee called out for him.

i've been watching that clip for a few days and it seems like it is staged. ususally bob walks around with a fake wig and a beanie. the one time i "met" him, he had a bath towel over his head. plus he usually has Baron, his security guard near him.

plus, i wish he'd dress like on the clip above when he's on stage, instead of wearing that little suit and having a wedding cake on his head :lol

i've been watching that clip for a few days and it seems like it is staged. ususally bob walks around with a fake wig and a beanie. the one time i "met" him, he had a bath towel over his head. plus he usually has Baron, his security guard near him.

plus, i wish he'd dress like on the clip above when he's on stage, instead of wearing that little suit and having a wedding cake on his head :lol

If someone wanted to meet a singer, hanging around the area where the tour bus is parked is probably a good way to go about it.

I thought this was kinda of cool - from Obama's interview in Rolling Stone.

Rolling Stone Link

You had Bob Dylan here. How did that go?

Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be. He wouldn't come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn't want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn't show up to that. He came in and played "The Times They Are A-Changin'." A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage — I'm sitting right in the front row — comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it — then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat.

Of course, he probably just wanted to get back on his bus so he can catch Pawn Stars.

I'll be seeing him for the seventh time next month, oddly enough in an arena I was last in for the graduation ceremony for my Ph.D. program. He seemed like he was having an off night the last time I saw him, in the summer of 2008 near Rochester, and I said at the time I wouldn't see him again, but it sounds like more recent shows have been better.

The copy of I'm Not There I got from Netflix has been on my coffee table for almost a month. Now that I have a few days off, I hope to finally get around to watching it. I really like the soundtrack, so I'm curious to see how the movie compares.

The copy of I'm Not There I got from Netflix has been on my coffee table for almost a month. Now that I have a few days off, I hope to finally get around to watching it. I really like the soundtrack, so I'm curious to see how the movie compares.

Don't be too shocked when few of the songs on the soundtrack end up in the movie.

LouieB

Great movie. I thought it had a really good balance of Dylan vs. cover versions.

And the soundtrack is incredible on its own.

That it is....but I must admit, I was a bit disappointed there weren't more of the soundtrack versions in the movie.

LouieB

Sorry to talk about this, but I wanna see what other people think. And what i'm thinking is this: What I don't like about the No Direction Home, and the reason why i say this is because i am half way through watching The Promise (which suffers from the same problem) and when I'm Not There was mentioned for some reason i thought it was the documentary which is what sparked this thought, is that these modern documentaries always use the people from now talking about the past. I just find it really jars with the older images, and you just end up not really getting engrossed in it - I don't see why all these documentaries have to have modern clips of people explaining shit about what they did and why they did it - 90% of it is bullshit, and unnecessary anyway - just show the fucking events and allow the audience to work out what's happening. That's why I'd always recommend Eat The Document over it. Anyone else have this problem with modern documentaries about the past?

I would hardly suggest to anyone, other than Dylan fans, that hey watch Eat the Document, since it gives the viewer no idea what really happened and is really sort of a mess. Documentaries like No Direction and The Promise (which I have not seen) are there to give viewers an idea of the significance and context events from the past. You may not like that, but most people in fact do like talking heads giving information about how things came about. It is all well and good to see vintage footage of our favorite cultural heros (I dig it), but most filmmakers like to put some perameters on historical material.

LouieB

ok, i just find it revisionist. i am sure you're thinking of another film other than eat the document - i know you've said this before - but it is nowhere near as disjointed or messy as you think. it gives an exact representation of what happened - which is: dylan being thrown around from location to location, and it's edited in a way that makes that experience apparent to the person watching it. the best part in no direction home is the final bit where he looks knackered, and ruined, and is rubbing his eyes (apart from the musical moments) - but the rest of the film doesn't really show why that's happened at all, or rather it doesn't really give me a sense of what it was like. eat the document shows that. also dylan edited it himself at the time - so that must count for something as to showing what he felt like. if you don't get the same messy feeling from no direction home perhaps that's a good reason why its revisionist. eat the document has also got loads of great music in it.

On the topic of running into Bob Dylan, I wondered if I could.

According to boblinks:

11/7/10 University of Pittsburgh

11/9/10 Penn State University

I imagine Bob would spend the 8th in Pittsburgh instead of State College, but who knows. I will keep an eye out for him.