The Official Bob Dylan Thread

i need to watch masked again. if you are a dylan nut, there are some crazy winks/nods to dylan lyrics through out the movie. it's a bizarre movie. nowhere near as bad as renaldo & clara. that is a pile of shit. too much cocaine back then.

Pat Garrett is great....particularly the director's cut.

Masked...not so much...

LouieB

yes, pat garrett is an awesome movie. maybe my fave western.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pat Garrett is great....particularly the director's cut.

Masked...not so much...

LouieB

ah. this might turn into another beach boys argument type thing, but do you really like the directors cut more? i think it's nowhere near as good as the theatrical version - the pace is well off in it, i seem to remember even the fantastic opening sequence is a mess, whereas in the theatrical version that opening might be my favourite in any movie - just with the music, the freeze-frames, the changings of time, and billy's gang hanging around being bored. i think i need to watch them both again (it came out on dvd with both versions, and i've got it), but after getting it and thinking "fantastic - the directors cut", after it had finished it i felt like i'd watched a totally different movie than the original version.

Is there more of Dylan raising his eyebrows in the director's cut?

nah, i don't think there is any extra dylan. it's more a case that they just linger on everything much longer - to me, it's like the pace is off with it, and it needs to be edited by someone. actually, i think in one of the documentaries on the dvd it says that the directors cut was not actually what peckinpah would have wanted it to end up like - it was just a rough cut, which he knew would be edited down - like he left more in than he wanted so that when they said "it's too long, cut it down" he was not cutting the meat, just the fat.

what do you mean? pat garrett & billy the kid? or just random tracks from films. pat garrett is a great soundtrack, i mean ultimately it is just a soundtrack and soundtracks tend to work best with the pictures going along with it (if you get what i mean), but still definately worth hearing. Billy (1, 4 & 7 - yeah, there are a lot of versions of a few songs) are all fantastic - that's a great song, actually Gillian Welch has covered it, and then you get a few versions of Knockin' On Heaven's Door - (Final Theme, which is that song, but played with a flute is actually fantastic!), and then you get a couple of other instrumentals.

as for his songs from various movies - yeah, the modern ones are great. cross the green mountain from some film about the civil war (can't remember it's name) is cool, as is huck's tune, tell ol bill - and probably a few others which i can't remember right now.

there is also the soundtrack to masked and anonymous - don't see the film! - which is cool, the dylan songs are anyway, the covers are alright, but only a few times.

yeah, i liked masked and anonymous. btw-thanks for the info on the movie tracks. will have to check them out. i know some are on the last bootleg series.

ah. this might turn into another beach boys argument type thing, but do you really like the directors cut more? i think it's nowhere near as good as the theatrical version - the pace is well off in it, i seem to remember even the fantastic opening sequence is a mess, whereas in the theatrical version that opening might be my favourite in any movie - just with the music, the freeze-frames, the changings of time, and billy's gang hanging around being bored. i think i need to watch them both again (it came out on dvd with both versions, and i've got it), but after getting it and thinking "fantastic - the directors cut", after it had finished it i felt like i'd watched a totally different movie than the original version.

I liked both. Frankly I saw them fairly far apart (the theatrical when it came out and the directors cut in a theater when it came out...) so my opinion may not mean anything. I do remember thinking the opening was pretty different, but the directors cut seem to have more overall coherence. Then again the movie in general seems incoherant at times.

I suppose the only thing to do is rent both. I don't think I have seen it all all in the DVD era.

LouieB

I happen to love this song, so perhaps I am biased, but this is badass. Anyone know what this is from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0_dFLqiVXk&feature=related

It is a great version.

The clip states

June 30, 1999 - Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, US.

Crossroads and Don' Think Twice are up on YouTube, also.

From Bob's Links - Summer 1999 Tour Guide

All songs with Eric Clapton's band

1 Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

2 It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry

3 Born In Time (Bob and Eric Clapton on vocals)

4 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

5 Not Dark Yet

6 Crossroads --(Robert Johnson) (Bob and Eric Clapton on vocals)

(encore)

7 Sunshine Of Your Love (Bob was not on stage)

8 Bright Lights, Big City --(Jimmy Reed) (Bob and Eric Clapton on vocals - Sheryl Crow on vocals and accordian)

Bob Dylan - electric guitar

Eric Clapton - electric guitar

Andy Fairweather Low - Electric Guitar

Nathan East - bass

Steve Gadd - drums

Unknown keyboard player

David Sanborn - saxophone on "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, ..." through the end of the show

Tim Carmon - 2nd keyboard on "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, ..." through the end of the show

Katie Kissoon - backing vocals on "Crossroads" and "Bright Lights, Big City"

Tessa Niles - backing vocals on "Crossroads" and "Bright Lights, Big City"

• 3 weeks later...

Bob Dylan tries new ticket-selling model for San Francisco gig

According to Pollstar, Dylan plans on a very special sales procedure for the tickets to his August 25th show at San Francisco’s The Warfield. To do away with crazy surcharges and credit card fees and to avoid the threat of scalpers, the venue will only sell $60 general admission tickets the day of the show for cash only. Concertgoers can’t begin to line up until noon, doors open at 5:30 p.m., and the show goes on 8 p.m., at which time everyone must enter. While having that much cash on hand could be an issue, along with the toll it’s bound to take on security, as one source told Pollstar, this is the event “people will be looking at” to see if the model can apply elsewhere.

That is an interesting idea. It's like the old days, but I don't suppose the road manager will be walking around with paper bags full of money this time.

This sounds promising...

Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Volume 9 – The Witmark Demos will be released on Tuesday, October 19th, in conjunction with the re-release of the artist's first eight long-playing albums in a box set titled Bob Dylan – The Original Mono Recordings. Both sets have been long sought-after by collectors and fans worldwide, with The Witmark Demos seeing their first commercial release nearly five decades after they were first recorded, and The Original Mono Recordings returning to the marketplace for the first time ever on CD as well as on fully analogue 180-gram vinyl. Both are now available for pre-sale with an exclusive t-shirt and limited edition 18x24" Bob Dylan poster at http://www.SonyMusicDigital.com/bobdylan. You can also pre-order the CD or vinyl sets at Amazon: http://amzn.to/aoLS9K.

The Witmark Demos features 47 Bob Dylan songs recorded by the artist accompanied only by his acoustic guitar, harmonica and occasionally piano on 2 CD or 4 LP 180-gram vinyl. All of these songs were written – and their subsequent demos recorded – before Bob Dylan turned 24 years old.

Among the many gems are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive "Ballad For A Friend," the civil rights era-inspired "Long Ago, Far Away" and "The Death Of Emmett Till," and the poignant "Guess I'm Doing Fine."

The Original Mono Recordings is comprised of Bob Dylan's first eight long-playing albums, painstakingly reproduced from their first generation monaural mixes as the artist intended them to be heard. These eight albums – spanning the artist's self-titled debut in March 1962, through John Wesley Harding released on December 27, 1967 – are universally regarded as some of the most important works in the history of recorded music.

Together with The Witmark Demos, they provide the public with a wide-ranging view of Bob Dylan's work during the 1960s, and chronicle his amazing evolution from fledgling songwriter to one of the world's most inventive and singular recording artists.

Visit http://www.bobdylan.com/ for more information!

i cant see it on the tracklist, but i'm sure "Percy's song" has to be there too, considering its on the bootlegs (just like all the other tracks). also some Leeds demos are there as well i think. the witmark bootlegs have only 42 tracks

i cant see it on the tracklist, but i'm sure "Percy's song" has to be there too, considering its on the bootlegs (just like all the other tracks). also some Leeds demos are there as well i think. the witmark bootlegs have only 42 tracks

Disc 1:

1. Man On The Street (Fragment)

2. Hard Times In New York Town

3. Poor Boy Blues

4. Ballad For A Friend

5. Rambling, Gambling Willie

6. Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues

7. Standing On The Highway

8. Man On The Street

9. Blowin’ In The Wind

10. Long Ago, Far Away

11. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall

12. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

13. The Death of Emmett Till

14. Let Me Die In My Footsteps

15. Ballad Of Hollis Brown

16. Quit Your Low Down Ways

17. Baby, I’m In The Mood For You

18. Bound To Lose, Bound To Win

19. All Over You

20. I’d Hate To Be You On That Dreadful Day

21. Long Time Gone

22. Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues

23. Masters Of War

24. Oxford Town

25. Farewell

Disc 2:

1. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right

2. Walkin’ Down The Line

3. I Shall Be Free

4. Bob Dylan’s Blues

5. Bob Dylan’s Dream

6. Boots Of Spanish Leather

7. Walls of Red Wing

8. Girl From The North Country

9. Seven Curses

10. Hero Blues

11. Whatcha Gonna Do?

12. Gypsy Lou

13. Ain’t Gonna Grieve

14. John Brown

15. Only A Hobo

16. When The Ship Comes In

17. The Times They Are A-Changin’

18. Paths Of Victory

19. Guess I’m Doing Fine

20. Baby Let Me Follow You Down

21. Mama, You Been On My Mind

22. Mr. Tambourine Man

23. I’ll Keep It With Mine

We talked about this release a couple of pages back. It's good to see a release date now.

By way of Expecting Rain:

Brandeis University - bonus disc information

Lost Bob Dylan Audio Found At Late Rolling Stone Co-Founder's Home

Crisp audio from a lost 1963 BOB DYLAN concert has been unearthed in an attic and will be released as a bonus to fans who snap up the folk rock icon's new BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 9 online.

Amazon.com customers who order the new Dylan set will also get the live recording of Dylan, taped at the Brandeis University Folk Festival.

According to Rolling Stone magazine, the audio sat in the archives of the publication's co-founder Ralph Gleason’s collection for over 40 years until his son Toby found it while clearing the family home after his mother's death.

Toby Gleason says, "It’s a seven inch reel-to-reel that sounds like it was taped from the mixing disc. A collector/dealer associate of the family said, 'This might be worth something to the Dylan office,' and we sold it to them last year."

Gleason has no idea how his late father came into possession of the tape: "My father had nothing to do with that Brandeis show. I suspect he got the tape from Bob himself or from one of the people in Bob’s organization. My father was one of the nationally credited writers that wrote about Bob the most, and they became close."

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who watch Pawn Stars:

Pawn Stars Next week: Character and shop employee "Chumlee" is given an assignment by pawn shop owner Rick to get Dylan's signature on a Dylan album to sell at the shop. Dylan is in town playing a concert. The promo shows a close shot of Dylan walking in casual dress down what appears to be the Las Vegas strip.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read that is was not staged. Someone must have done some research and knew that he often walks around the town where he is playing.

Yeah and getting picked up by the cops. :lol He must of signed off on it, I'd guess. I don't know though. I can see Dlyan watching Pawn Stars on his bus.