The Official Bob Dylan Thread

reading chronicles was like reading he lyrics to one long dylan song. is tarantula like this?

I'd say the same about Tarantula, but in a far less enjoyable manner. Chronicles was Dylan lyrics that were easy to follow, and fascinating because of it. Tarantula is not easy to follow. It's basically an entire book of the poem in the liner notes of Bringing It All Back Home. But less good.

I don't want to hate on it, though. It's fascinating, and well worth it for the snippets of lyrics you'll be able to find contained in the poems.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say the same about Tarantula, but in a far less enjoyable manner. Chronicles was Dylan lyrics that were easy to follow, and fascinating because of it. Tarantula is not easy to follow. It's basically an entire book of the poem in the liner notes of Bringing It All Back Home. But less good.

I don't want to hate on it, though. It's fascinating, and well worth it for the snippets of lyrics you'll be able to find contained in the poems.

It's junk, just like those Lennon books. But, I own them all, so there you go.

I remember seeing Tarantula in a book store a while ago, I read some it while I was in the store and decided not to even to buy it. My library has two copies of it - even college students don't find it worth while to steal (yet alone check-out).

Wow, what a great idea on my part not to go see Dylan last night.

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

2. This Wheel's On Fire

3. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

4. Just Like A Woman

5. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

6. Masters Of War

7. Cold Irons Bound

8. Visions Of Johanna

9. Summer Days

10. Forgetful Heart

11. Highway 61 Revisited

12. Can't Wait

13. Thunder On The Mountain

14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)

15. Jolene

16. Like A Rolling Stone

sarcasm?.. those songs are always done well. i just wish JLAW would get out of the 4th spot

I think he was being sarcastic. A lot of the recent shows are popping up, I am sure a recording will surface. I missed him completely on this tour, which is a bummer.

From The Witmark Demos, I really enjoying the version of Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues - I always like it on Bootleg Vol. 1-3 version, but I like slower Demo version better.

I never heard any of these demos before; great, great stuff.

i just wish JLAW would get out of the 4th spot

Do you wish for it to be moved or removed? The crowd at the recent show in which I was in attendance really lost interest in this song about 3/4 of the way into it. Dylan, however, seemed to be very much into it.

Do you wish for it to be moved or removed? The crowd at the recent show in which I was in attendance really lost interest in this song about 3/4 of the way into it. Dylan, however, seemed to be very much into it.

removed. although it makes a good toilet break.

as much as i love old bobby, he knows that he's got the name and will attract and audience. he can get up there, burp, belch, fart, and read some pages from the phone book, he'll still sell out an arena. thats why he seems to be stuck on auto pilot (with the memphis blues again)!!

Nobody Ruins Dylan Like Dylan

Above is from the NPR All Songs Considered The Blog. It sparked a rather large amount of comments. I do grade Dylan concerts on a bit of a curve, but I don't think I ever left a show disappointed. I must admit while at and after the show, in the back of mind, I'm thinking I am seeing "Bob Dylan" and it may be the last time doing so.

Actually I just found the setlist for the show I proposed at. 1990 at the Colorado State fair. I remember it well, warm beer in my hand, the smell of funnel cakes was in the air...

1. Silvio
  2. I'll Remember You
  3. Shelter From The Storm
  4. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
  5. Masters Of War
  6. Gotta Serve Somebody
  7. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
  8. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
  9. Desolation Row
  10. It Ain't Me, Babe
  11. Everything Is Broken
  12. Just Like A Woman
  13. All Along The Watchtower
  14. What Good Am I?
  15. I Shall Be Released
  16. Like A Rolling Stone
  17. Blowin' In The Wind
  18. Highway 61 Revisited

Mass. pizza parlor stiffed by fake Dylan rep

November 23, 2010

AMHERST, Mass.—A man wearing a Bob Dylan backstage pass who ordered 178 pizzas from a Massachusetts pizza parlor has left the restaurant blowin' in the wind.

The man walked into Antonio's in the college town of Amherst early Saturday morning shortly after Dylan performed at the University of Massachusetts and ordered $3,900 worth of pies.

He said he would return in several hours and deliver them to Dylan's crew. But he never returned and the manager called police.

Restaurant employees stayed until 5:30 a.m. making the pizzas.

Antonio's owner Walter Pacheco tells The Daily Hampshire Gazette his workers had no reason to doubt the man worked with Dylan but "got taken."

Pacheco said he gave some of the pizzas away, but had to throw out most of them.

• 2 weeks later...

i vowed 5 or 6 years ago to never see him again. after watching some recent clips/hearing some recent shows, i think i made the right choice.

i vowed in 96. however, i did end up seeing him again when he opened for 'the dead' in 04 i think. that was actually kind of fun because my wife was with me and he played silvio which is her favorite dylan song.

i can't imagine going through the hassle of buying tickets, getting a sitter etc. to see dylan. but if the stars were aligned and i got a free ticket i'd go. i really like his band and he just mumbles up there. also, he plays a short show, which is nice.

i vowed in 96. however, i did end up seeing him again when he opened for 'the dead' in 04 i think. that was actually kind of fun because my wife was with me and he played silvio which is her favorite dylan song.

i can't imagine going through the hassle of buying tickets, getting a sitter etc. to see dylan. but if the stars were aligned and i got a free ticket i'd go. i really like his band and he just mumbles up there. also, he plays a short show, which is nice.

that was one of the last shows i saw from him.