The Official Bob Dylan Thread

You know, if it were $45, I'd do the Allentown date for sure, since I"ll be in eastern PA visiting my family after a long weekend trip catching Wilco in Wilmington. But I paid around $75 to see him last summer, and it was an incredibly disappointing show. I don't know if he was half-assing it because it was a really small market, or if he was having an off night, but it was the worst of the five or six of his shows I've seen. I'll think about it, but unless I'm absolutely in love with this album, I'll probably skip it.

i saw him in 97. it was utterly ridiculous how bad it was. there is no reason anyone should pay money to see him. i was mad about paying $30 back then. saw him open for the dead about 5 years ago and he was even worse. he doesn't sing and he just plays a chord here and there on the piano. such a scam.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, $67.50 is a bit much....But call me crazy, I really enjoy his live shows! Plus, I think he's been sounding very good on this tour so far! :yes

i'll gladly pay this to see him, but i can see how some people would be turned off by the price. the fact that its GA makes it seem more like a deal to me. it sure beats paying $150 to see the Dead from the nosebleed section.

anyone know if he plans on debuting some songs off the new record during the summer tour?

now that we've had a little time to digest the TTL leak, is everyone still feeling pretty much the same as they did upon their initial listen(s)? i'm really trying to get into it but the lyrics are rubbing me the wrong way. maybe i'm just being moody or too critical...i just can't get into the majority of the songs.

when i go back and listen to his last 3 records, there's a sense of urgency to those songs that TTL lacks. like some of you mentioned, its a very solid album, a collection of lovely songs, its just not the Dylan i've fallen in love with over the past few years. i imagine this is how a lot of people felt when he went electric back in '65.

with that being said, i'm glad Bob is still putting out new music and it sounds like he was really inspired to record this and get it out to us. for that, i respect these songs and will def. give this album a chance to grow on me. i'm sure it will soon.

I have not yet heard it - that is about what I figured. It seems people love it, or hate it.

Just listening to it now on the link you posted. Seems impossible to do either really. (He is sounding a bit like Muddy Waters on this third song....)

LouieB

I suppose if there is anything disappointing about Dylan's last 20 years it is that he rarely stops singing blues in order to do a ballad or two. Nothing wrong with the blues ya understand, but he used to write great ballads.

LouieB

I suppose if there is anything disappointing about Dylan's last 20 years it is that he rarely stops singing blues in order to do a ballad or two. Nothing wrong with the blues ya understand, but he used to write great ballads.

LouieB

I liked Beyond the Horizon on his last one. You're right though, his last great ballad's were back on Oh Mercy.

I liked Beyond the Horizon on his last one. You're right though, his last great ballad's were back on Oh Mercy.

Exactly....that was a very good song....breaking out of the mold a bit.

LouieB

Time Out of Mind had some ballads that I would consider among his best.

What Time Out Of Mind and Love And Theft have, over the last two albums, is that they have actual arrangements. He obviously spent a lot of time over writing and recording Time Out Of Mind (for Dylan standards anyway), and he was very lucky to be working with Larry Campbell on Love And Theft (who clearly seems to be a great arranger - if you listen to his work with the Dixie Hummingbirds it's got a very similar style, which is why I think he played a major part in this). The last two albums had nobody but Dylan pulling the strings, and that's why they fall flat in arrangements. He'd have done better to have played them by himself on an acoustic guitar or piano. Saying that, I've already said this new album is worse than Modern Times - I think that had some good songs, but let down a little by the playing, this album has almost nothing but standard blues songs - and by blues, i mean what people mean when they take the piss, and call something "blues music", woke up this morning etc...

Beyond The Horizon was a good song - great lyrics.

Some of this album is pretty good but a lot of it just passes me by. I thought this when I heard it first and reckoned I had to give it a lot more attention but have found that the more I listen to it, the more I want to listen to something else. I can't see myself playing this one a whole lot and probably not at all once winter's cold rushes in.

I suppose at this point, I'd like to see him do some more acoustic solo albums. That is partly due to the fact that I generally prefer acoustic Dylan over electric Dylan as time goes on.

Yup yup yup. Although, he doesn't really play the guitar anymore, right?

I'd love another heap of World Gone Wrong-type songs (penned by him or not).

My biggest problem with this new album is that I spent the run-up to the leak getting excited by listening to Tell Tale Signs. And TTS is fu(king amazing. This new album isn't. I need some distance from TTS now to develop a real opinion.

Yup yup yup. Although, he doesn't really play the guitar anymore, right?

I'd love another heap of World Gone Wrong-type songs (penned by him or not).

I think he does play the guitar on occasion, it's just he doesn't play it that much cos he tours all time and his wrist/hand/whatever it is is buggered up. I even have a feeling he plays on the new album - I think I've heard what sounds like him, anyway, but I can't remember what song. Maybe someone can say for sure by checking the album notes - if anyone's got it yet.