The Official Bob Dylan Thread

It's a great leap forward from MT. Gone are the turgid blues case studies--and you can't call them anything else with a straight face--and the band actually sounds awake and alive and engaged. If You Ever Go to Houston and I Feel a Change Comin' On are both standouts, especially the former, which is a welcome return to Dylan actually writing like Dylan.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's out there now without the German woman...I'm really liking this. MT never clicked for me like the two before. This new one really has a Time Out of Mind vibe for me and I'm digging it...

are you speaking of the youtube leak that got pulled? Are there mp3s circulating?

word just got it. ;) I'll probably wait till later and go for stroll with this as my soundtrack.

yeah i'd agree with that... nothing mindblowing, but a very VERY solid record through and through

It's a delight. David Hildago was an incredible choice to color the numbers he's on. Bob's voice is great, sounding at times like Howlin' Wolf, the accompaniment at times hinting a big of Django ... a timeless album. Made for a perfect afternoon!

I told my wife there may be a Bob Dylan album that even she would like!

Yes it is.

This record seems to strike the right balence between MT and L&T. No real stunners like High Water or Mississippi but solid all the way through

Definitely agreed. The band is loose as a goose, as Jeff might say ;) , and Dylan actually seems engaged with the material at hand. Modern Times felt like a case study to me, and so many of the songs were toss-offs in the worst of ways, so it's nice to get a breezy album with an honest sense of fun about it. I love--just love!--If You Ever Go to Houston. That and This Dream of You are very Desire-esque.

it's turned out like i thought it would.

i really love I Feel A Change Comin' On

i like If You Ever Go To Houston, This Dream of You and Shake Shake Mama

can't make my mind up about It's All Good

and the rest i think are terrible - it's just the exact type of blues i hate, the arrangements sound like they are jamming rather than recording an album

so on average i'd say this is worse than Modern Times - cos that had more songs i loved on it, and it doesn't even come close to Time Out Of Mind or Love & Theft.

it's turned out like i thought it would.

i really love I Feel A Change Comin' On

i like If You Ever Go To Houston, This Dream of You and Shake Shake Mama

can't make my mind up about It's All Good

and the rest i think are terrible - it's just the exact type of blues i hate, the arrangements sound like they are jamming rather than recording an album

so on average i'd say this is worse than Modern Times - cos that had more songs i loved on it, and it doesn't even come close to Time Out Of Mind or Love & Theft.

it's not even really that blues-y of a record imo. much more zydeco really.

no offense, but you're going to be in the minority on this one ;)

they are not 12 bar blues, i'm sorry. do you play guitar? Modern Times was more 12 bar blues than this is. the closest song on here to 12 bar blues is 'It's All Good', and even that isn't exactly it.

the only thing very blues-y at times is the lead guitar work. the time signatures are actually a bit more complex than they seem on the surface (Life Is Hard ans Shake Shake Mama for example)

not saying there's not blues elements, but to write it off as a bad blues record doesn't fit the smell test IMO.

they are not 12 bar blues, i'm sorry. do you play guitar? Modern Times was more 12 bar blues than this is.

the only thing very blues-y at times is the guitar work. the time signatures are actually a bit more complex than they seem on the surface.

yeah, i play guitar. a couple of them are waltzes too, i should have added. in what way are they zydeco exactly then?

yeah, i play guitar. a couple of them are waltzes too, i should have added. in what way are they zydeco exactly then?

it's not as uptempo as most Zydeco (but then again there's plenty of Zydeco waltzes too). yeah a lot of this album is a hybrid of diff styles, but i'd argue it's closer to Zydeco than straight up Blues.

sure it's the prominent use of the accordion that made me think zydeco, but there's a few other elements of it too. but it's def not 12 bar blues really either.