The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to pile on Modern Times, but that 30 seconds might be better than 90% of MT.

This. Everybody in the Dylan threads knows how much I loathe that piece of no-songwriting-to-speak-of shit, so I'll leave it alone and say that I already enjoy the new record more.

And I can't believe the guy with the Waits userpic wasn't the first poster to bring up the most obvious touchstone that this track brings to mind! I get a real Rain Dogs vibe from this track, and I don't think it sounds like TOOM (my favourite of Dylan's late-career renaissance albums) at all.

i don't think it sounds like TOOM either, but people were comparing it to his previous 3 releases, of those i'd say it's somewhere between TOOM and Love & Theft if i was forced to compare. but your'e right, it doesn't sound a lot like either of the last 4 so far. vocals sound pretty cool so far too.

new song is live NOW:

http://www.bobdylan.com/

fucking LOVE it... really hope that vibe/feel is indicative of the record :dancing

Ah, you bet me to it! :lol

Yes! I am also loving it! I can't wait to hear the rest of the album!!!! :dancing

Also, in case there's any interest, here are the lyrics.

Beyond Here Lies Nothin'

Oh well, I love you pretty baby

You're the only love I've ever known

Just as long as you stay with me

The whole world is my throne

Beyond here lies nothin'

Nothin' we can call our own

Well, I'm movin' after midnight

Down boulevards of broken cars

Don't know what I'd do without it

Without this love that we call ours

Beyond here lies nothin'

Nothin' but the moon and stars

Down every street theres a window

And every window's made of glass

We'll keep on lovin' pretty baby

For as long as love will last

Beyond here lies nothin'

But the mountains of the past

Well, my ship is in the harbor

And the sails are spread

Listen to me, pretty baby

Lay your hand upon my head

Beyond here lies nothin'

Nothin' done and nothin' said

Nice! I'm glad/relieved that Hidalgo's accordian is indeed being used in anything but a lead capacity. The complementary horns add a lot of punch, and it sounds pretty solid overall. It's a bit simplistic, but I already like it better than anything on MT that isn't Nettie Moore.

Anybody else get the distinct feeling that this is going to be the bard's shortest/most straightforward disc since Oh Mercy?

after hearing the whole song a couple of times, i'm liking it even less than i did before. the drumming's interesting, but that's all - other than the fact that you've got bob dylan's voice, over the top of it, i'd be hard pressed to tell this band from any other bog-standard blues/cajun band playing today in some bar somewhere in america. the worst thing of all is that shocking electric guitar tone - surely they could have picked a better sound than that? it all sounds so half-arsed to me.

i've got a strong feeling i'm going to hate this album.

trouble is, it's not only that i don't think much of the song (which isn't very memorable at all) - the big problem for me is that i hate the sound the band is producing, and seeing as how all the other songs would have been recorded in a very short space of time i imagine that the sound is going to be the same across the whole album. i think if you're going to get someone to play horns and accordian on the music you really need to draw up some charts for them to follow otherwise it just ends up sounding as interesting as it does on this song. or, you have some shit hot session band who know how to play off each other without being told what to do. that's not happened here.

here's feel a change comin on

now, i hated the other track a lot, but, after one quick listen of this, i'm liking it much much more than that one. the lyrics are much much better, there's a melody (although not too original), the guitar sound is not shit, and the accordian works much better here.

I pretty much agree with this, except I don't hate Beyond Here Lies Nothin'. It's just average.

I definitely dig the Billy Joe Shaver name check. :worship

wow. this song is great. thanks joss.

yes, it is! this song features some great one-liners, "dreams never did work for me anyway, even when they did come true," and "everybody got all the flowers, I don't have one single rose," and, of course, the Joyce line.

the guitar towards the end of the song, and the melody in general, remind me a lot of Sky Blue Sky (the record, not the song.) I've already ripped this tune to my PC and have listened to it like 6 times already!

Forgetful Heart almost sounds too menacing to my ear to be a ballad. It's got the same skulking, sinister vibe - and is in the same key - as Ain't Talkin'. Some of these clips sound great, especially the more boisterous numbers where Dylan really enunciates the lines (If You Ever Go To Houston, Jolene), while others (Forgetful Heart, Life Is Hard) worry me by suggesting that we might be in for MT Part II as far as lazy songwriting goes.

I really can't wait for this.

Does it make me a bad person that other than Wilco and Radiohead, Dylan output has been my favorite of the past 15 years? That may sound like me being lazy and fanboyish because he's Bob Dylan, but really...every album he's released since Time Out of Mind has been so good.

Does it make me a bad person that other than Wilco and Radiohead, Dylan output has been my favorite of the past 15 years?

Why would it? Just shows you have good taste. Which you would expect from someone named Jesus, to be honest.