The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Jack White 'Works With Bob Dylan'

Published Friday, 27th February, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Jack White has teamed-up with Bob Dylan for a tribute album to Hank Williams.

According to the White Stripes guitarist, Dylan "came upon, somehow, 20-25 unfinished songs by Hank Williams - just the lyrics, no music - and he started to ask people if they would finish these songs."

On his involvement on the project, White told MTV News: "He did one, asked Willie Nelson to do one, asked me to do one, and I think Lucinda Williams and Alan Jackson are on it too."

"I think it might come out this year." Jack added. "It's a cool record." White's contribution is a song titled 'You Know That I Know' which was recorded at the Blackbird Studios in Nashville.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is what I was talking about earlier. I have seen that same bit of news posted in different places more than once over the last year or so.

Yeah, actually, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that posted before. I wonder what the deal is. I

When I first saw this thread, I thought it would up meaning he was doing some more work on that project.

Maybe, do you think he had been working on the Hank Williams project but then took a break from it to finish this new album

Updated info on new album. I am looking forward to the accordion. This year is already shaping up to be a great one for new releases.

DYLAN RECORDS SURPRISE 'MODERN TIMES' FOLLOW-UP

Dark new disc with a bluesy border-town feel arrives in April

By David Fricke

I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver/And I'm reading James Joyce/Some people tell me I got the blood of the land in my voice," Bob Dylan sings in a leathery growl, capturing the essence of his forthcoming studio album - raw-country love songs, sly wordplay and the wounded state of the nation - in "I Feel a Change Coming On," one of the record's 10 new originals.

Set for late April,the as-yet-untitled album arrives a few months after Dylan's outtakes collection Tell Tale Signs nad it "came as a surprise," says a source close to Dylan's camp. Last year, filmmaker Olivier Dahan, who directed the 2007 Edith Piaf biopic, La Vie en Rose, approached Dylan about writing songs for his next feature. Dylan responded with "Life Is Hard," a bleak ballad with mandolin, pedal steel and him singing in a dark, crystal clear voice, "The evening winds are still/I've lost the way and will." (The song appears in the film My Own Love Song, starring Renee Zellweger.)

Inspired, Dylan kept writing and recording songs with his road band and guests, with Los Lobos' David Hidalgo rumored on the accordion. Dylan produced the album under his usual pseudonym, Jack Frost.

The disc has the live-in-the-studio feel of Dylan's last two studio records, 2001's Love & Theft and 2006's Modern Times, but with the seductive border-cafe feel (courtesy of the accordion on every track) and an emphasis on struggling-love songs. The effect - in the opening shuffle, "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'," the Texas-dance-hall jump of "If You Ever Go To Houston" and the waltz "This Dream of You" - is a gnarly turn on early-1970's records like New Morning and Planet Waves.

Dylan makes references to the national chaos, as on the viciously funny slow blues "My Wife's Home Town" ("State gone broke, the county's dry/Don't be lookin' at me with that evil eye"winking smiley, culminating in the deceptive rolling rock of "It's All Good." Against East L.A. accordion and a snake's nest of guitars, Dylan tells you how bad things are - "Brick by brick they tear you down/A teacup of water is enough to drown" - then ices each verse with the title line, a pithy shot of sneering irony and calming promise. "You would never expect the record after Modern Times to sound like this", the source says. "Bob takes all of those disparate elements you hear and puts them into a track. But you can't put your finger on it - 'It sounds exactly like that.' That's why he's so original."

- Rolling Stone

issn't David Hidalgo going on tour with Bob ?

I have been searching and trying to find who the hell is in Bob's current band and I can't find shite. Analogman? Somebody?

I have been searching and trying to find who the hell is in Bob's current band and I can't find shite. Analogman? Somebody?

Band Members

Bob Dylan - keyboard, guitar, harp

Tony Garnier - bass

George Recile - drums

Stu Kimball - rhythm guitar

Denny Freeman - lead guitar

Donnie Herron - violin, viola, banjo, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel

The above is his most recent band, I haven't heard that it is going change.

The above is his most recent band, I haven't heard that it is going change.

too bad

Man, a texmex style record sounds perfect to me, and great for the summer, if you haven't yet, check out doug sahm and band (which dylan appears on a few tunes, and contributes 'wallflower') some classic artwork to!

Man, a texmex style record sounds perfect to me, and great for the summer, if you haven't yet, check out doug sahm and band (which dylan appears on a few tunes, and contributes 'wallflower') some classic artwork to!

Amen to both!!

seductive border-cafe feel (courtesy of the accordion on every track) and the BJS reference just made my day!!!

Hmmmm... very strange title. I wonder how official this is. I don't think it sounds very Dylan-like. :brow

The New Yorker:

Title-Track Blues

Information continues to trickle out about Bob Dylan