The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Why would it? Just shows you have good taste. Which you would expect from someone named Jesus, to be honest.

lol. My friend insists that the only reason I love those records is cause it's Dylan. But they're all sooooooooo good.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like Robert Hunter co-wrote the lyrics on 9 of the 10 songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...gh-life-lyrics/

This was brought up in the Dead thread earlier today. Over on a Dylan board, they are angry. I never understood the hate that some Dylan fans have for the Dead. I think it's pretty exciting news.

>Over on a Dylan board, they are angry. I never understood the hate that some Dylan fans have for the Dead. I think it's pretty exciting news.

I agree with you. What's to be angry about? Just be happy that new Dylan songs are on the way. It's not like Vince Welnick co-wrote the songs or sung on them.

Hunter's OK in my book. He wrote pretty much all of the best Dead songs: Ripple, St. Stephen, Dupree, Dire Wolf, Bertha, Loser, Wharf Rat, Jack Straw, Box of Rain, Scarlet Begonias, Mission in the Rain (and many more). I saw him live/solo/acoustic once. It was great.

It is kind of weird that Hunter was involved lyrically with 9 of 10 songs, though. The thing about Dylan these days is that he is the lyrics, and not much else, as far as I can tell.

That said, the lyrics on Modern Times were kind of banal, so a fresh pen might not hurt.

Another installment of the Flanaghan interview.

Below is from:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/15/b...r_n_187216.html

BF: You wrote a lot of these songs with Robert Hunter. How does that process work?

BD: There isn't any process to speak of. You just do it. You drive the car. Sometimes you get out from behind the wheel and let someone else step on the gas.

BF: You must have known Hunter a long time. Do you remember where you first met?

BD: It was either back in '62 or '63 when I played in the Bay area. I might have met him in Palo Alto or Berkley or Oakland. I played all those places then and I could have met Hunter around that time. I know he was around.

Over on a Dylan board, they are angry. I never understood the hate that some Dylan fans have for the Dead. I think it's pretty exciting news.

I think most people have never given the dead a real chance, they wrongly assume its all tripped out jazz jams when in acutality they are one of the best Americana acts out there. The lyrics to some of those tunes are my favorite parts believe it or not.

It's probably a combination of that plus the fact that Dylan is held in such high regard as a writer, and we can only expect so much more output from him, that for him to collaborate on lyrics with anyone can be seen as a lost opportunity for new Dylan lyrics. Probably mostly the anti-Dead sentiment, though.

It's probably a combination of that plus the fact that Dylan is held in such high regard as a writer, and we can only expect so much more output from him, that for him to collaborate on lyrics with anyone can be seen as a lost opportunity for new Dylan lyrics. Probably mostly the anti-Dead sentiment, though.

These were the thoughts swirling in my head too.

The collaboration on lyrics has pretty much no effect on my expectations for this album. I don't mind it, I'm not excited by it.

Even if I wasn't a fan of Hunters work I'd be psyched that dylan is collaborating on lyrics. Like it or not this is not the bob dylan of 1965. WHile Love and Theft and Time Out Of Mind are two of his best albums I felt Modern Times stunk, the biggest failure being the lyrics, it sounded like Dylan needed an editor.

The lyrics in Beyond Her Lies Nothing and I Feel A Change Coming on in no way remind me of Robert Hunters other work, which makes me feel as though he was acting as more of an editor. The lyrics (esp on I Feel A Change Coming On) sound distinctly later era Dylan. I can see Rob and Bob sitting at a desk at robert being like "this sounds like you, but not so much on this line". :lol

Even if I wasn't a fan of Hunters work I'd be psyched that dylan is collaborating on lyrics. Like it or not this is not the bob dylan of 1965. WHile Love and Theft and Time Out Of Mind are two of his best albums I felt Modern Times stunk, the biggest failure being the lyrics, it sounded like Dylan needed an editor.

The lyrics in Beyond Her Lies Nothing and I Feel A Change Coming on in no way remind me of Robert Hunters other work, which makes me feel as though he was acting as more of an editor. The lyrics (esp on I Feel A Change Coming On) sound distinctly later era Dylan. I can see Rob and Bob sitting at a desk at robert being like "this sounds like you, but not so much on this line". :lol

true. i mean, how do you write songs for Bob Dylan? that's like teaching the US government about politics. that's a bad analogy to use right now but you all know what i mean.

i'm 50/50 on the whole lyrics ordeal. more than likely, i'm just thinking a little too much about this. after all, didn't Dylan team up with Jacques Levy to write the songs for Desire? and that's a wonderful record.

that's exactly what one of my friends said last night. desire is fantastic.

Right but from the two songs we've herd this seems to be nothing like that. I can't imagine Hunter came up with "I'm listening to billy joe shaver and reading james joyce" its just too damn dylan (or its Hunter having a laugh). Desire sees Levy writing story songs, much like plays. These songs though sound dylanesque, not like Hunters style at all. But then again I guess we haven't herd to much from Bob Hunter as of late.

Although I've never heard the songs, I know he did do some work with Jim Lauderdale.

i've always wanted to check out some of Lauderdale's stuff. he wrote a lot of songs for George Strait (yes, you can laugh) that are really, really good.

not to mention, as of late, i've really been getting into some obscure-to-me Grateful Dead songs. just picked up their lyric book last night and my respect for Robert Hunter has grown 200% in the last 2 days.

Anyone getting this to work?

Yeah, I got it to work. Not very great quality, and some German woman talks over the start of each song.

It was slightly better than I thought it was going to be, after hearing Beyond Here Lies Nothin', but after a couple of listens I'd say it's on a par with Modern Times, apart from the fact that Modern Times has about 3 songs that I really loved right from the off, and this doesn't seem to.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy this, actually.