The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least it isn't based on a comic book! That Spiderman musical makes me cringe everytime I read it.

I think the spiderman is the best thing that ever happened to U2, now I really have no reason to take them seriously (as if "The Edge" wasn't reason enough.

I got the cd in the mail yesterday. I think his artwork/cd booklet art/info is about as bad as Bruce Springsteen's artwork/cd booklet art/info. I noticed their is a reference to the estate of Willie Dixon in the thank you department.

It says they wrote the song together. Unless this was several years ago, since Willie has been gone, I would guess he is at least crediting Dixon with the riffs.

the music to 'My Wife's Home Town' is credited to both Bob Dylan and Willie Dixon. didn't Louie B point out that the music was pretty much lifted from a Muddy Waters song? wonder which song Waters lifted from Dixon?
Muddy didn't lift any song from Dixon, Dixon gave songs to Muddy since he was his producer (and sometimes bass player) during those years. Dixon was a staff writer and producer for Chess and associated labels and Dixon was more than willing to give those songs away since he made money on them.

I bought the deluxe CD yesterday and plan to listen to it today in the car.

LouieB

Dylan performed If you Ever Go To Houston last night in Dublin. There is an audio link over at Expectingrain.

Dublin, Ireland

The O2

May 5, 2009

(encore)

15. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)

16. If You Ever Go To Houston (Bob on keyboard) (Premiere live performance)

17. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob center stage on harp)

I've listened to the new album 3 times now. It seems okay. Pretty middle of the road dylan to me. Not awe inspiring, but not bad either. He sounds like a nice little bar band you could find in a dungy blues bar on a tuesday night. Soulful, but it really doesn't seem special to me. After his past two or three albums this is a little bit of a disapointment.

Stop me if you have heard this before.....but I can't believe Dylan needed Robert Hunter to write the lyrics for this thing. They simply aren't that good.

LouieB

Stop me if you have heard this before.....but I can't believe Dylan needed Robert Hunter to write the lyrics for this thing. They simply aren't that good.

LouieB

The way I think of it, Dylan used Hunter as a buffer to not get all "cryptic" on all our butts again, though I'm not sure why Dylan would want that.

I am quite enjoying this album but the lyrics are very sloppy. The song that springs to mind is 'Jolene'. Dreadful lyrics. I have nothing against simplified lyrics but these are just plain poor. Reminds me of 'wiggle wiggle' or Under the Red Sky.

I do think it's a pleasent album but not in the same league as the three records that preceeded it. Dylan has become such a legendary figure in culture that its impossible to give a objective opionion on any new album without taking into accout what has preceeded it. I'm sure album if this was by an artist I'd never heard of I wouldn't give it a second listen. Because its Bob I keep playing it convincing myself that its another classic album when in reality its just a few nice, simple songs. That's probably a poor reflection on me, but I think its true.

I am quite enjoying this album but the lyrics are very sloppy. The song that springs to mind is 'Jolene'. Dreadful lyrics. I have nothing against simplified lyrics but these are just plain poor. Reminds me of 'wiggle wiggle' or Under the Red Sky.

I do think it's a pleasent album but not in the same league as the three records that preceeded it. Dylan has become such a legendary figure in culture that its impossible to give a objective opionion on any new album without taking into accout what has preceeded it. I'm sure album if this was by an artist I'd never heard of I wouldn't give it a second listen. Because its Bob I keep playing it convincing myself that its another classic album when in reality its just a few nice, simple songs. That's probably a poor reflection on me, but I think its true.

Funny, I find these lyrics to be way better then Modern Times. Like I said before I think Hunter served as an editor if anything. These sound distinctly like late era dylan and nothing like dead songs (although I could hear Bob Weir doing Jolene).

Dylan and Macca to collaborate? From the Guardian today:

"Bob Dylan has celebrated his latest album going to No 1 on both sides of the Atlantic by hinting that his next project could be a collaboration with Paul McCartney.

Dylan's 33rd studio album, Together Through Life, is reported to have sold 125,000 copies in its first week in America. But instead of dwelling on his chart victory, the iconic singer-songwriter has been busy telling Rolling Stone magazine that he would definitely consider working with McCartney.

"That would be exciting, to do something with Paul," Dylan said. "But, you know, your paths have to cross for something like that to make sense." McCartney's spokesman responded by saying: "I should think he would be very interested in hearing about it. As you can imagine, it would be a pretty major thing if it went ahead."

The success of Together Through Life follows Dylan's 2006 album, Modern Times, which also went to No 1 in the US. Of Dylan's extensive back catalogue, only five albums have made it to the top of the Billboard chart. Dylan fairs slightly better this side of the pond with seven, including The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home, although his last UK No 1, New Morning, was in 1970.

His current chart success includes No 1 positions in Austria, Denmark, Holland, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, New Zealand, Austria and Ireland.

It is a commercial renaissance for Dylan who, with the exception of Modern Times, hasn't scored a No 1 album in the US since 1976's Desire. Together Through Life is out on Columbia."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/may/0...-paul-mccartney

It would certainly be interesting, that's for sure.

Dylan and Macca to collaborate? From the Guardian today:

"Bob Dylan has celebrated his latest album going to No 1 on both sides of the Atlantic by hinting that his next project could be a collaboration with Paul McCartney.

Dylan's 33rd studio album, Together Through Life, is reported to have sold 125,000 copies in its first week in America. But instead of dwelling on his chart victory, the iconic singer-songwriter has been busy telling Rolling Stone magazine that he would definitely consider working with McCartney.

"That would be exciting, to do something with Paul," Dylan said. "But, you know, your paths have to cross for something like that to make sense." McCartney's spokesman responded by saying: "I should think he would be very interested in hearing about it. As you can imagine, it would be a pretty major thing if it went ahead."

The success of Together Through Life follows Dylan's 2006 album, Modern Times, which also went to No 1 in the US. Of Dylan's extensive back catalogue, only five albums have made it to the top of the Billboard chart. Dylan fairs slightly better this side of the pond with seven, including The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home, although his last UK No 1, New Morning, was in 1970.

His current chart success includes No 1 positions in Austria, Denmark, Holland, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, New Zealand, Austria and Ireland.

It is a commercial renaissance for Dylan who, with the exception of Modern Times, hasn't scored a No 1 album in the US since 1976's Desire. Together Through Life is out on Columbia."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/may/0...-paul-mccartney

It would certainly be interesting, that's for sure.

But would it? Or would it be a steaming pile of shit that critics would call ground breaking.

But would it? Or would it be a steaming pile of shit that critics would call ground breaking.

Honestly it doesn't matter. I think we need a Dylan and a Beatle to make an album before they both croak.

LouieB

Honestly it doesn't matter. I think we need a Dylan and a Beatle to make an album before they both croak.

LouieB

Wasn't the traveling wilburys good enough. I'm willing to bet you that anything that they won't produce anything half as good as "THE WILBURY TWIST" :pirate

Have you herd the recording george and bob did in the early seventies, some good stuff.

I saw this earlier this week. Both of them were asked about this; they're just answering questions. Both of their answers are pretty much stock answers. It's not like they would say no.

Wasn't the traveling wilburys good enough. I'm willing to bet you that anything that they won't produce anything half as good as "THE WILBURY TWIST" :pirate

Have you herd the recording george and bob did in the early seventies, some good stuff.

Wow, I completely forgot about the Wilbury's...my bad.

Actually what I have heard from the Dylan/Harrision sessions doesn't sound like much. Maybe I don't have the good stuff.

LouieB

I think you just hate Paul McCartney.

I mean I do, I won't deny that. But when was the last time mccartney made a great record?

I mean I do, I won't deny that. But when was the last time mccartney made a great record?

That depends on who you ask. Some would say 1972, some would say never, some would say 2008. (yawn smiley)

That depends on who you ask. Some would say 1972, some would say never, some would say 2008. (yawn smiley)

I mean it was a semi rhetorical question.

I think dylans later output will be remembered when people talk about his career, can't say the same for Driving Rain.

I mean it was a semi rhetorical question.

I think dylans later output will be remembered when people talk about his career, can't say the same for Driving Rain.

I think that probably has more to do with the differences in their careers than the actual music. Bob has never had anything near the catalogue of The Beatles over his head. And, a new 'Bob Dylan' album is the same thing it was in 1966 - a new 'Bob Dylan' album. McCartney does not have that luxury (some may call it an albatross around Bob's neck, but I don't think it is: he's held in such high regard - and rightfully so - but there's a real connection to the 60s and 70s stuff with his newer output, simply because he is who he is). Paul will always have The Beatles right there with him. Not that I'm sobbing for him - it's the bloody Beatles.