The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$160 for a 6 cd set seems excessive when you can get if for free. Basically would be paying that money for the book, box, pictures. Hard to justify.

Do they usually put the Bootleg Series on streaming? I think the last one was Tell Tale Signs which was a few years ago. I vaguely recall some of The Cutting Edge being on Spotify at one point but I think it was just a sampler.

I assumed there was going to be at least a 2 disc version --- that stinks. Probably a ploy to get the collectors to spring for the 6 cd set - knowing that 1 cd version is never going to do it for them.

I need to dig through my hard drive to see how much I have of this already.

• 3 weeks later...

I read recently that "Blood on the Tracks" is being made into a film. Hhhmmm.

Yeah I saw that yesterday too, from the director of Call Me By Your Name. That sounds like it could be really promising but, then I remind myself, two years ago Amazon was working on a television series based on Bob's songs called Time Out Of Mind... which we haven't heard a single thing about since. Hopefully something like this comes to fruition. I'm Not There is one of my favourite movies, I just want more TV/films like that.

Saw him Sunday night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Read that Stu Kimball has not been playing in his band since the start of this fall tour -- Kimball's website even stated the below right before the start of the tour. No word, of course, from Dylan's camp. I think no guitarist has played more shows with Dylan than Kimball has/had.

Stu goes back on tour with Bob Dylan beginning in October. Please check www.bobdylan.com for tour dates.

I read this book a while back: A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks. I knew some thing about those sessions - but this book is really good with the details about the making of the album. 

Just wrapping up this book -- got to read a bit like a tabloid towards the end - when they author discussed the aftermath reaction of the Minneapolis musician's and residences. Never knew that Dylan owned the Orpheum in Minneapolis or I forgot I knew.

The stuff on the recording of the record was great, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book a while back: A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks. I knew some thing about those sessions - but this book is really good with the details about the making of the album. 

This book stressed how the Minnesota musicians never got official credit --- I guess they finally will get their due with the new box set - which is great.

My set should in my mail box, tomorrow - looking forward to it.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesotans-finally-get-credit-for-playing-on-bob-dylan-s-1975-classic-blood-on-the-tracks/499161281/

http://www.startribune.com/meet-the-minnesota-musicians-who-helped-make-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks/499161371/

That's right. As they already had the sleeves printed up. (Was that the reason - I forget.)

Yeah --- of course they could have fixed it on the millions of reprints, but failed to do so. Glad that they got their due in the box set. Of course, I think all the takes in this box set are from the New York sessions, because the Minneapolis sessions are lost/missing. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had "Highlands" from Time Out of Mind on repeat over the last few days. What an interesting song. I've had it on vinyl for close to 20 yrs and didn't really recognize it as a tune worthy of paying closer attention to until recently.

I've had "Highlands" from Time Out of Mind on repeat over the last few days. What an interesting song. I've had it on vinyl for close to 20 yrs and didn't really recognize it as a tune worthy of paying closer attention to until recently.

Some great live versions from the Time Out of Mind era worth seeking out. Think you can find some on youtube. Hypnotic and archaic song. Peak late era weird Dylan.

• 1 month later...

Picked up Bob Dylan's two disc set "Live 1964" at the library the other day for a buck. Its fun to hear Bob so damn young, giggling and cocksure and having himself a great ol' time up there on stage.

Pretty sure I've heard boots of this show before but not in the pristine condition this recording is in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

97 for me and yeah he seemed old. Back then, he did that little one goose step forward and back while doing a guitar solo, which was fun to watch.

I will probably catch him when passes through Chicago again, as long as the venue is a good fit. Last time was in 2014.

Currently re-listening to the electric set from 5/20/66 from The Live 66 Recordings set. He just dedicated Leopord-Skid Pill-Box Hat to the Taj Mahal (of course) ---- god love 'em....