The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far I have only listened to about 4 shows from the recent 66 tour box -- sound is decent -- the audience recording that I heard, leaves a lot to be desired, but it was cool to hear the audience laughing at some of the new style of lyrics. From the audience recording, It seemed that audience was definitely digging the new tunes.

It definitely will take awhile to get all the way through the set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally getting to the last show of the 66 tour -- 5/27/66, Royal Albert Hall.

The electric set is something else -- the whole 'read more books and J.D. Salinger' intro on the intro to Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues.

This day and age, management would have risked him off to rehab after this show. Of course, back then they just called it a motorcycle accident.

• 4 weeks later...

Triplicate 

(Columbia Records; New York, NY; January 31, 2017) A three-disc studio album from Bob Dylan, Triplicate, will be released on March 31, featuring 30 brand-new recordings of classic American tunes and marking the first triple-length set of the artist’s illustrious career. With each disc individually titled and presented in a thematically-arranged 10-song sequence, Triplicate showcases Dylan’s unique and much-lauded talents as a vocalist, arranger and bandleader on 30 compositions by some of music’s most lauded and influential songwriters. The Jack Frost-produced album is the 38th studio set from Bob Dylan and marks the first new music from the artist since Fallen Angels, which was released in early 2016.

A triple record - jeez. Guessing this will clear out all the standard recordings.

I probably listened to both the other ones about twice each.

I still haven't gotten around to listen to the whole 66 Live set, yet. About at a half way point. Tried to do it in order, but failed. Those Royal Albert shows are pretty great.

It looks like Dylan has gone into full Rod Stewart mode here.  I have mixed feelings about all this, but I guess we have to take what we can get at this stage of his career.  When are the reworkings of his early compositions going to done?  (See the article about John Cale in the most recent New Yorker.)

LouieB

Do we think these songs are all really old ones? Maybe there are some modern songs in there too? I'd love to hear his studio take on CA Stars or theh Stripes' Ball & Biscuit (which he and Jack did in the 00's).

My first though is - I don't know what is worse: the cover art, title font, or the songs. It seems to be he could be doing something else in this day and age. But - he does what he wants. I am sure he has a blank ticket (the same as Bruce) and Columbia will put out whatever he wants. 

TRACK LISTING CD:
CD 1: ‘TIL THE SUN GOES DOWN

1. I Guess I’ll Have to Change My Plans
2. September Of My Years
3. I Could Have Told You
4. Once Upon A Time
5. Stormy Weather
6. This Nearly Was Mine
7. That Old Feeling
8. It Gets Lonely Early
9. My One and Only Love
10. Trade Winds

CD 2: DEVIL DOLLS
1. Braggin’
2. As Time Goes By
3. Imagination
4. How Deep Is The Ocean
5. P.S. I Love You
6. The Best Is Yet To Come
7. But Beautiful
8. Here’s That Rainy Day
9. Where is The One
10. There’s A Flaw in My Flue

CD 3: COMIN’ HOME LATE
1. Day In, Day Out
2. I Couldn’t Sleep A Wink Last Night
3. Sentimental Journey
4. Somewhere Along The Way
5. When The World Was Young
6. These Foolish Things
7. You Go To My Head
8. Stardust
9. It’s Funny To Everyone But Me
10. Why Was I Born

• 2 months later...

So I received my copy of Triplicate today....  :worried

You know, like the previous two, it's not terrible. The arrangements of these songs are topnotch, the pedal steel is a really good fit. Bob's voice is pretty strong for 21st century Bob. But it's a collection of songs I have no connection with. Not only that, but it's essentially three albums of this, and the songs sort of sound the same. It's the same time signature, slow tempo, and crooning. There is some horns in the arrangements, which I don't think the other ones had, so there's that. 

I'll be seeing Bob for the first time (!!!!) this July, so I'll probably give this a few more spins so I can recognize these songs when he plays them. Fortunately his sets are looking pretty decent this tour.

Hopefully this is it for Sinatra-era tunes. Or if not, at least we all have Bootleg Series 13 The Gospel Years to look forward to this fall!