The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Modern Times is one of my favorited Dylan albums. Nettie Moore...love that tune.

What I liked about the most recent album is that Bob is actually singing rather than croaking.

I enjoy Modern Times, too - more so than Tempest and Together Through Life. I think Tempest bores me more than Together Through Life, probably because it is a longer record.

Honestly I can't remember anything about Tempest.  A few months back I didn't even remember if I had a copy or not. Modern Times stood out because of the strange juxtaposition of old songs that Dylan borrowed from and turned into new songs. 

I love Dylan, but these new albums are nothing but filler.

LouieB

Here's something I did not know. I have read many Dylan books and don't recall reading that MJ had a stake in Bob's catalog.

From us to you: Michael Jackson‘s estate has officially sold its half-ownership of The Beatles’ and Bob Dylan’s catalogs.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I will pass on this:

Fallen Angels is the 37th studio album from Bob Dylan. Featuring twelve classic American tunes written by some of music's most acclaimed and influential songwriters including Johnny Mercer, Harold Arlen, Sammy Cahn And Carolyn Leigh the album showcases Dylan's unique and much-lauded talents as a vocalist, arranger and bandleader. The Jack Frost-produced album marks the first new music from the artist since his 2015 release, Shadows In The Night, which also showcased Dylan's interpretations of classic American songs. (May 20th 2016)

1. Young At Heart

2. Maybe You'll Be There

3. Polka Dots and Moonbeams

4. All The Way

5. Skylark

6. Nevertheless

7. All Or Nothing At All

8. On A Little Street In Singapore

9. It Had To Be You

10. Melancholy Mood

11. That Old Black Magic

12. Come Rain Or Come Shine

"Much-lauded talents as a vocalist."? I love Dylan, love what his voice used to be. The croak it has become may be interesting and suit these songs well, but no one is lauding it. I'll give it a listen, and it will drift away with Shadows of the Night.

I've finally gotten around to "Tempest" and have found it to be pretty darn good. His voice suits the tunes. I liked it so much I actually bought the album.

I'll grab the new one -- I listened the latest one a few times - definitely don't reach for it much, but I am glad I have it when I want to. I do like the cover of Fallen Angels. (sorry for the big pic)

fallenangels-1024x1024.jpg

Tempest is worth a listen, you might like it - it's all original material at the very least --- granted some of it might have been "borrowed". Maybe you meant to write Shadow In the Night - his first standards  release.

I have a hard time getting excited about his recent records. The last song I really liked was Mississippi, from 2001. I have listened to every record since, and have not found anything to my liking. I got to hear lots of growling, though.

Mississippi is a classic.  I really like the version on Love & Theft.  All the other random versions on Tell Tale Signs are interesting, but not as good.

Sugar Baby, also on Love and Theft, is also a classic. I could argue that there are several other good to great songs on that and subsequent album, but certainly Mississippi and Sugar Baby stand with his best. 

Yeah, I love that entire album as well.  

As far as the recent albums go, although the song choice might be suspect, the band sounds great!

Seems that the tracks from Fallen Angels were recorded during the previous sessions for Shadows, and Dylan's recent sessions at Capitol were of new compositions. No word on when/if those will be released.

(Dylan’s most recent Capitol sessions with Schmitt in early 2016 were to record a set of mostly original contemporary songs, according to different, always reliable sources close to the project. However, those newer tracks remain unreleased for now.)

http://stephenkpeeples.com/news-and-reviews/bob-dylan-fallen-angels-tracks-from-same-sessions-as-shadows-in-the-night/#.VwvxNfkrLZ6

More of the same too bad, some new songs would be welcome. 

I'm certainly not opposed to older artists going the standards/covers route, but in the case of Bob Dylan, it seems a waste after a point.

LouieB