The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Yikes. I guess I won't be getting that although I want it bad.

There are only two more major dumps from the Dylan vaults that need to see the light of day.  One being the Blood on the Tracks outtakes (obviously) and the other are the outtakes, etc, from Infidels and Empire Burlesque period. With these now seeing the light of day, not much else of major interest seems to be needed, which does not mean Sony and Bob won't put more out there before he croaks.

LouieB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 18 disc version is 600 bucks!

Christ. Almost makes that 80 CD Dead box set (for $750) seem like a bargain.

What I'm waiting for is a vault release of the Hard Rain DVD and hopefully the entire show on audio, at least, and cleaned up compared to the Hard Rain album with that annoying high pitched noise throughout.  I think its one his best performances of all time, shambling and loose but super intense at the same time.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/10/bob-dylans-1976-concert-tv-special-hard-rain-surfaces-online/

"Meanwhile, many other Dylan projects are percolating. We asked our source about the documentary of Dylan’s 1975/76 Rolling Thunder Revue, which has been in development for years. “We’re still working on it,” says the source. “I hope it comes out in the next couple of years.” After it does finally come out, the Dylan camp plans on releasing a series of Bootleg Series DVDs. “We’ll put out the [1976] Hard Rain TV special,” the source says."

There are only two more major dumps from the Dylan vaults that need to see the light of day.  One being the Blood on the Tracks outtakes (obviously) and the other are the outtakes, etc, from Infidels and Empire Burlesque period. With these now seeing the light of day, not much else of major interest seems to be needed, which does not mean Sony and Bob won't put more out there before he croaks.

LouieB

Seeing Empire Burlesque mentioned reminded me how Dark Eyes is one of my favorite Dylan songs.

There are only two more major dumps from the Dylan vaults that need to see the light of day. One being the Blood on the Tracks outtakes (obviously) and the other are the outtakes, etc, from Infidels and Empire Burlesque period. With these now seeing the light of day, not much else of major interest seems to be needed, which does not mean Sony and Bob won't put more out there before he croaks.

LouieB

If the past is an indicator of the future we will be seeing lots more even after he leaves this world...Cash, Hendrix, Elvis...

Seeing Empire Burlesque mentioned reminded me how Dark Eyes is one of my favorite Dylan songs.

Yes!!!  More genius, inspired songwriting from Dylan buried in a collection of mediocre songs.  Somehow that makes it even better (by contrast?).  What a great great song, just as good as Every Grain of Sand to me.

I feel the same way about Where Are You Tonight? on Street Legal (although that album as a whole is far less mediocre than Emprie Burlesque, IMO).

It seems like the Bootleg Series is making a regular appearance now each year. I'm almost wondering if it's because of the EU copyright laws? Anyone remember that extremely limited edition boxed set that was released in Europe a few years back? Now we're getting everything from 1965-1966 which is 50 years after this material was written. Bet the next Bootleg Series will have some John Wesley Harding/ Nashville Skyline outtakes in it. Perhaps even the Dylan/ Cash session.

You could pull together a nice compilation form 80-89.  Infidels, however, stands on it's own.  I love Silvio and Death Is Not The End from that era. 

There is plenty more to release when you consider the length of his career. The Miles Davis releases are occurring long after his death and will undoubtedly continue for decades to come.  The Cash and Harrison sessions are widely bootlegged (I picked up a pretty good copy of both together during the last year) but the actual content of these sessions is mediocre at best; they are interesting because both figures are famous in their own right.  And when Sony figures they can start releasing entire shows, like the Davis reissues, there will be tons to release. 

A full release of the Ginsburg sessions would also be nice, but these are also not exactly first rate.

It should be noted that there is a full reissue in progress of Love Supreme with lots of outtakes as well that were never released.  Clearly the major record companies see more money in reissuing old material with extras attached.  This will never end so long as there are scraps to be found in the vaults.

LouieB

Not to mention all the live stuff. I'd love to get some curated live sets from tours over the last 20 years with his excellent band.

I'm a weird Dylan fan.  I actually prefer the post Blonde On Blonde stuff.  I love the instrumentation, but his voice is a little tough to take at times.  Cliche, I know.  I need to make another effort.

I would think a similar set as Rolling Thunder for the religious period is in order at some point.  It is enough different (although controversial) that this should be forthcoming.  The fact that Sony/Columbia is issuing various Miles Davis bands of late, would be the model I suppose.

LouieB

I would buy the 79-80 set -- i enjoy the music quite a bit -- perhaps not necessary the lyrics - per say, but the band was pretty good. Dylan was into it, too - vocally.

The tour lineup for the first leg of the tour consisted of Bob Dylan (guitar, piano, harmonica, vocals), Spooner Oldham (keyboards, vocals), Terry Young (keyboards, vocals), Fred Tackett (guitar), Tim Drummond (bass), Jim Keltner (drums), Regina Havis (vocals), Helena Springs (vocals), and Mona Lisa Young (vocals).[10][11] T

I would buy the 79-80 set -- i enjoy the music quite a bit -- perhaps not necessary the lyrics - per say, but the band was pretty good. Dylan was into it, too - vocally.

Oh, yeah.  I have a vinyl bootleg from the European tour in 1980, I think, for the Saved album.  I believe Like A Rolling Stone is the second song of the set and the band is killing it and Dylan is waaayyy into it vocally, just a superb performance.  I really like his gospel period.  Those records were well recorded with great bands.  And somehow when Dylan sings religious stuff, its not offensive or disgusting to me because I know he gets the true meaning of those spiritual teachings and not what the greedy power-mongers of institutionalized religions have twisted it into for centuries.

Toronto, 1980
Dylan may have faced some backlash when he toured with an electric band in 1965, but it was nothing compared to what he dealt with 15 years later. After converting to Christianity and cutting an album of born-again songs, Dylan hit the road singing only the new material. He also preached from the stage. "I told you 'The Times They Are A-Changin' and they did!" he told a crowd in New Mexico. "I said the answer was ‘Blowin’ In The Wind’ and it was! And I'm telling you now, Jesus is coming back, and he is! And there is no other way of salvation."

Often lost amidst all the craziness is the fact that the new songs were great, the band was amazing and he was singing with more gusto and conviction than he’d ever shown before. At this Toronto stop (which was also videotaped), he opens with "Gotta Serve Somebody" and rips into gospel classics like "Precious Angel" and "Slow Train." Guitarist Fred Tackett, drummer Jim Keltner and keyboardist Spooner Oldham form the core of one of Dylan’s all-time great backing bands, and the finale of "Pressing On" is positively chilling. Beginning alone at the piano, Dylan is slowly joined by the band and back-up singers into what erupts into what is perhaps the most emotionally raw performance of Dylan’s career. An absolute must-hear for Dylan aficionados.

I recently picked up the tribute album Gotta Serve Somebody   (from about 10 years ago), that are the gospel songs done by gospel groups.  Much of it is excellent, with the exception of a duet of Mavis Staples and Dylan together which is downright dreadful.  Though I didn't care for this material when it was new, I have grown to like it. 

LouieB

Oh, yeah.  I have a vinyl bootleg from the European tour in 1980, I think, for the Saved album.  I believe Like A Rolling Stone is the second song of the set and the band is killing it and Dylan is waaayyy into it vocally, just a superb performance.  I really like his gospel period.  Those records were well recorded with great bands.  And somehow when Dylan sings religious stuff, its not offensive or disgusting to me because I know he gets the true meaning of those spiritual teachings and not what the greedy power-mongers of institutionalized religions have twisted it into for centuries.

Dylan actually won a Grammy for Slow Train Coming - category: 'best rock vocal performance' - it's funny to see the words 'best', 'vocal' and 'Grammy' together when talking about Dylan.

Always enjoyed "Man Gave Names to All the Animals" - fun, little ditty.

Yes!!!  More genius, inspired songwriting from Dylan buried in a collection of mediocre songs.  Somehow that makes it even better (by contrast?).  What a great great song, just as good as Every Grain of Sand to me.

I feel the same way about Where Are You Tonight? on Street Legal (although that album as a whole is far less mediocre than Emprie Burlesque, IMO).

Somewhere I read that Dylan needed one more song for Empire and the producer or whoever suggested he write an acoustic tune.  So he went back to his hotel room and knocked it out.  So, he was capable of putting together good stuff.  I just don't think he gave a shit.  I know I'd go through periods of apathy if I'd been writing music for 25 years.

I agree with this.  Even though Dylan is so 'on the nose' with his Christian lyrics it doesn't bother me.  I'd love to see a live comp from each of his tours.  

Talking about a release of live "religious period" stuff:

Who would buy that? I don't think I would.

Have you heard any of it live? (you probably have, but maybe not)

It's great and powerful and full of fire and brimstone and passion and all that stuff that makes a performance great. I get it if you can't get behind the message or the lyrics, but I love the delivery.