The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any Bob Dylan Live Show Archive like the Wilco one Analogman has in his signature? I'd like to hear some of these bootlegs. 

http://www.dylanradio.com/

DylanRadio.com plays lots of songs from bootlegs  --- the site is not like Owl and Bear at all, though. Plus,  I don't think they ever play complete shows all the way through.

There use to be a Dylan library - where you would send them blanks and they would make copies. I think that may have been video only though. I see Dylan shows on Dime a Dozen from time to time. There may be a Dylan BT site out there. I don't know. I don't think I have ever collected Dylan live shows. The search for Wilco and related bands has pretty much taken up all my collecting time over the last decade or so. 

I am still convinced that the 'Columbia recording artist - Bob Dylan' intro to every show, at least since the 90s,  is because they know someone is taping the show and at least they want people to hear record company's name on it.

Besides the Dead - I can't think of a group/person who is booted more.

I know a few people who still tape Dylan shows. They always were a ball cap to the shows

I have a couple shows from his 2000(?) England tour that are fantastic.

Glory glory glory, somebody touched me, must've been the hand of the Lord

There use to be a Dylan library - where you would send them blanks and they would make copies. I think that may have been video only though. I see Dylan shows on Dime a Dozen from time to time. There may be a Dylan BT site out there. I don't know. I don't think I have ever collected Dylan live shows. The search for Wilco and related bands has pretty much taken up all my collecting time over the last decade or so. 

I remember that - the Bob Dylan Tape Library. They did audio, too. They were very generous. In the days before youtube I desperately wanted to see Eat The Document and Renaldo and Clara so I sent the blank VHS tapes and they duly came back (no small thing as this was between the USA and Australia). They would sometimes put more stuff on at the end of the tape if there was any room left. So unexpectedly I found the John Hammond TV Special (1975 I think...around the time of "Desire") tacked onto the end of my copy of Eat The Document. I still have those tapes.

I remember that - the Bob Dylan Tape Library. They did audio, too. They were very generous. In the days before youtube I desperately wanted to see Eat The Document and Renaldo and Clara so I sent the blank VHS tapes and they duly came back (no small thing as this was between the USA and Australia). They would sometimes put more stuff on at the end of the tape if there was any room left. So unexpectedly I found the John Hammond TV Special (1975 I think...around the time of "Desire") tacked onto the end of my copy of Eat The Document. I still have those tapes.

I recall looking at the site. I don't think I ever got anything from there though. 

Easy Ed's view of the 600 dollar edition:

Sony Music Pushes Bob Dylan Over The Edge

The 18 CD set is a little costly, but with only 5,000 being produced, the price is somewhat justified. More than likely, this set will fetch higher amounts once it is sold out. The only way I am able to justify buying it is in knowing that I can resell it if need be and at least make my money back. With that being said, there is no way I would have spent this much money on any other Dylan release, collectible or not. It's the music on the discs which appeal to me most. To finally be able to hear these songs take form is going to be a thrill. I have waited eagerly for this release for many years and would have regretted not buying it if I missed out. 

The 18 CD set is a little costly, but with only 5,000 being produced, the price is somewhat justified. More than likely, this set will fetch higher amounts once it is sold out. The only way I am able to justify buying it is in knowing that I can resell it if need be and at least make my money back. With that being said, there is no way I would have spent this much money on any other Dylan release, collectible or not. It's the music on the discs which appeal to me most. To finally be able to hear these songs take form is going to be a thrill. I have waited eagerly for this release for many years and would have regretted not buying it if I missed out. 

I respect your passion. But I just can't see spending that much money on a bunch of cds. I'll go for the 2 disc version.

Last night's setlist from Oslo - first night of the tour. Seven Frank related tunes - he is turning into quite the crooner. A couple that were not even on his latest record. Like that he ended the show with "Love Sick"

1. Things Have Changed 2. She Belongs To Me 3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' 4. The Night We Called It A Day 5. Duquesne Whistle 6. Why Try To Change Me Now 7. Pay In Blood 8. I'm A Fool To Want You 9. Tangled Up In Blue   (intermission) 10. High Water (For Charley Patton) 11. Full Moon And Empty Arms 12. Early Roman Kings 13. Come Rain Or Come Shine 14. Spirit On The Water 15. Scarlet Town 16. All Or Nothing At All 17. Long And Wasted Years 18. Autumn Leaves       (encore) 19. Blowin' In The Wind 20. Love Sick

I'm talking in a big scale. Always will be a core but streaming/renting. SPOTIFY is the future

I've actually gone back to listening to CDs as spotify was too overwhelming. Also, I can't stand being on computer for any length of time. Of course I'm on one now. I just don't care for music interface stuff. I don't think CDs will die until gen-x dies off.

Ironically, used CDs ar dirt cheap these days. It's awesome.

Another point I've thinking about is the way Dylan has released his archives and maintained a relatively listenable, if not, brilliant output. As compared to Neil Young. Everybody suffered in the 80s. Dylan had some good stuff there. NY basically put out a load of unlistenable crap. Now, Neil is putting out such junk and goofy. (Red sky not withstanding)

I'm on pain medication, so this may make no sense.

I've actually gone back to listening to CDs as spotify was too overwhelming. Also, I can't stand being on computer for any length of time. Of course I'm on one now. I just don't care for music interface stuff. I don't think CDs will die until gen-x dies off.

Agree here on a number of points. Spotify appeals to the ADHD in me and I find myself skipping from artist to artist and never fully following through on an album from start to finish. So yesterday I decided to put on Disc 1 of the Complete Basement Tapes and really listen to it. Man, what a record.

I'm with you on computers as well. I'll get off as soon as I finish this post!

I think there'll always be a place and a market (no matter how dwindling) for CDs. I went to a 20-something pub the other night (I'm 43) for a work event and all I heard was Bowie, Smiths, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Everything old is new again. There may be a retro attraction to CDs in the future.

Agree here on a number of points. Spotify appeals to the ADHD in me and I find myself skipping from artist to artist and never fully following through on an album from start to finish. ZSo yesterday I decided to put on Disc 1 of the Compelte Basement Tapes and really listen to it. Man, what a record.

I'm with you on computers as well. I'll get off as soon as I finish this post!

I think there'll always be a place and a market (no matter how dwindling) for CDs. I went to a 20-something pub the other night (I'm 43) for a work event and all I heard was Bowie, Smiths, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Everything old is new again. There may be a retro attraction to CDs in the future.

Yeah, like tapes and vinyl CDs will rise again!

I'm with you all the way.  I got out my old disc man and have really listening to the Tweedy album.  So great to pay attention and all the nuances.

BTW, is the complete basement tapes set worth getting.  I plan on getting the 2 disc version.  I just don't want to miss out.

I know this has been asked so many times here...but...what's a good Dylan book to read after Chronicles?

Also, I've been doing a little reading and find it interesting that Dylan had many of the songs written that would end up on Freewheelin' at the time of recording his first album. What's even more interesting is the fact that he choose to record mainly covers for the first album while having all these other tunes in his back pocket. I may have my history mixed up though. I wonder if Dylan or the record company choose to do mostly covers in order to sell to the folk crowd.