The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I would have at least kept watching it for the cute actress...

LouieB - I did get Nilsson's 'A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night' from the library -   good stuff. Also watched the "Who is Harry" doc on Netflix last week, didn't know anything about him before, very interesting dude  --- great documentary, too. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must be the only one that actually really likes the song and video but I felt the same way about Duquesne Whistle so wtf do I know.

I know I don't think Dylan does himself or his audience one single bit of justice really anymore with his live shows. Not sure what his motivations are but I will never understand why he does what he does now live.

I know I don't think Dylan does himself or his audience one single bit of justice really anymore with his live shows. Not sure what his motivations are but I will never understand why he does what he does now live.

he keeps a standard setlist for every show, which means the tunes are polished up and less risk of a train wreck. when i saw him last year, he was the best since 2003, and he got himself a proper piano!

Calvino - cool doc. One of the better music docs in recent years. Despite having an interest in that Muscle Shoals doc, it is boring and half bullshit B roll.  The Nilsson doc doesn't waste any time.

LouieB

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7845

Anyone have any idea what this record store release is?  It says The Basement Tapes, but it only lists it as 1 LP and the artwork is different.

Bob rules live, voice is surprisingly decent and the band is very tight.  A lot of the blue hairs were disappointed that he wasn't playing the hits when I saw him last fall, but its a great show.

Ah yes....selling us the same material ONE MORE TIME.  What else is left?  I am guessing (and just guessing) it is the best of the tapes; the songs everyone knows and loves.  That would be a good thing. Or maybe it is Garth and Bob playing in someone's basement. Who knows, but it will go fast I suppose.

LouieB

Calvino - cool doc. One of the better music docs in recent years. Despite having an interest in that Muscle Shoals doc, it is boring and half bullshit B roll.  The Nilsson doc doesn't waste any time.

LouieB

Hmm, I really enjoyed the Muscle Shoals doc and couldnt get through 20 minutes of the Nilsson doc...now have you seen "Beware of Mr. Baker"?

No, what is the Mr. Baker doc about? 

Everyone's taste is different I guess. I thought the Nilsson one was pretty fast paced and gave lots of good info on the guy. I have watched Muscle Shoals two or three times and been ready to kill the film maker each time for all the B roll that has nothing to do with the music.  I got the point. Alabama is a soulful place with lots of cool nature around. I wanted to hear about the music and not just see (what's his name) continue to say what a great guy he was/is.  Will make it through the thing some day, but meanwhile I watched the Nilsson in one sitting no problem.

LouieB

I'm about half way through the Muscle Shoals doc, and my main issue is Bono. What is his connection to the place and the music? I can understand why Mick and Keith are interviewed - they recorded there and were influenced by the music of that era. But Bono's info is all second hand, he loves to hear himself talk, and just wants to attach himself to everything great. I thought he claimed to be a punk rocker? What a doofus.

This has gotten way off topic, but in two or three sittings to watch the Muscle Shoals doc I have NOT even gotten to Bono yet, so it shows how little it is holding my interest.  I hate it when filmmakers get that far off of the subject. I mean there are hundreds of artists who did record there and they should have stuck to that part of the story alone.  Like I said, they keep losing me by showing pictures of the woods and swamps of the area; get back to the real music already.

LouieB

LouieB

Some Dylan content in it, the Doc Pomus doc is a must see by all!

Been listening to Bob's new album this morning. Lots of low key pedal steel guitar. Bob's voice is in fine form (heh) but I kinda like it.

I would have at least kept watching it for the cute actress...

LouieB - I did get Nilsson's 'A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night' from the library - good stuff. Also watched the "Who is Harry" doc on Netflix last week, didn't know anything about him before, very interesting dude --- great documentary, too.

Thanks for mentioning this calvino, because you reminded me that I still hadn't seen the Nilsson doc and I now since your comment I watched it and -------/--/////___- well what can I really say beyond I was profoundly moved by it. Everyone should watch this documentary (Who Is Harry Nilsson?), everyone.

I didn't know crap about him, though after hearing the tunes while watching the documentry, I kept thinking "oh, I know that song" over and over again.

Also, you're most welcome Sir Stew.