The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I would say Ray Charles's version of Lucky Old Sun is the most well known, or Jerry Garcia's, which probably had the biggest impact on Dylan. Garcia took a bunch of standards and stripped them down, and jammed them out, in his solo band. Wonder how much Dylan had that in mind with this project.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Full AARP interview is out.

http://www.aarp.org/entertainment/style-trends/info-2015/bob-dylan-aarp-the-magazine-full-interview.html

Picked up the disc at a Best Buy while at lunch; after I visit with my drug dealer, I will give it a listen tonight.

The below is taken from the NYT review -- it pretty much sums up Dylan's performance of Stay With Me when I saw it in Chicago, last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/arts/music/releases-from-bob-dylan-and-diana-krall.html?_r=0

But even when it falters, “Shadows in the Night” maintains its singular mood: lovesick, haunted, suspended between an inconsolable present and all the regrets of the past.

Very positive review in Relix, which called it his most atmospheric album since Time Out of Mind, which basically is the same as saying its a good record to take drugs to. Maybe not too much of a surprise coming from Relix, but the reviewer is quite knowledgeable on Dylan.

Had my Trib actually been delivered today I could have read that review.  I hope the AARP magazine shows up today since I am a member.  I suppose this entire album will be superior to the Christmas album in some respects. 

LouieB

Listened to it last night --- did get boring, though the music is great - it gets monotonous. His vocals and delivery are also great.  I am not familiar with many of these tunes, some of the lyrics are rather good. I guess the version of That Lucky Sun is more like the original, which I never heard, before --- a lot different than Garcia's take.

Its a funny thing about this.  I suppose there will be a bit of a pick up in interest in cabaret/lounge music after this album gets around.  Most of this material is so dated it now has a chance of sparking a hipster revival.  Most of these songs passed out of currency even before I was old enough to care. 

Again I recommend the Harry Nilsson record which features a great selection of this type of material and it appears the CD reissue has quite a bit more. Harry really knew how to sing them too.  More than this I recommend The Smithsonian collection called American Popular Song, Six Decades of Songwriters and Songs, which can be had for cheap in both CD and LP formats and has original versions of lots of material from the great American songbook.  And most of the folks on this comp can really sing. (not that it matters really, since the attraction to the Dylan material is seeing if he has even close to the chops to put the material across.)

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

So I just found out that Dylan is going to be playing at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, one of the best-sounding theatres, acoustically speaking, on the eastern seaboard. I normally get email updates about all their shows before they go on sale, but for some reason, it's already on sale. In fact, it's nearly sold out.

There was a single seat in the 12th row, and I was sorely tempted to buy it. But then I realized I can't justify spending $100 to hear ol' Bob croon a bunch of tunes from the great American songbook, with a few of his classics sprinkled in among them. Still kind of hurt not to buy it, though.

Will have to console myself with those three Wilco shows I will be catching the week after Dylan swings through FL...

In concert, I bet he doesn't sing more than two off his latest record ---- but then again anything is possible. I am guessing Stay with Me, since he has been playing it, and That Lucky Old Sun - a song he used to perform in concert from time to time.

In concert, I bet he doesn't sing more than two off his latest record ---- but then again anything is possible. I am guessing Stay with Me, since he has been playing it, and That Lucky Old Sun - a song he used to perform in concert from time to time.

You're probably right. I just....I don't know, I've seen him a few times, and saw him two more times on the AmericanaramA tour. I was in the front row/on the rail for one of those shows, and of course that included Bob Weir, MMJ, and Wilco...all for about $100. I guess my days of seeing Zimmy are probably over, unless someone gives me a ticket...

that's what i think as well

Saw Dylan about 20 times between 95 - 2005. Great band, but started to lose interest when he stopped playing guitar, on top of his declining and inconsistent vocal abilities of which I am largely forgiving. When I finally saw Every Grain of Sand at my last show, and could check that off the list, I lost the urge to continue going. Wouldn't mind seeing him again, but can take it or leave it.

I love seeing Dylan. I think a lot of it is the new arrangements to the older songs. Back in '09 he played a rocking version of It's Alright Ma that came seemingly out of nowhere. I also love his recent albums so it's nice to hear those tunes in a live setting. Whenever he comes to town, I will see him.

I did see him twice on the AmericanaramA tour (once on the rail, which was cool), and I also saw him about 4 years ago, and then back in '02. The show 4 years ago cost me about $40, I believe. Has the dollar declined that much in value, or has Dylan's stock risen that much? I can't imagine spending more than double what I paid just 4 short years ago.

I am sure the size of venues has a lot to do with it. I saw him at a small, nice theater in Chicago during his last tour-- just bought the cheapest ticket and I think it was around $60 or so. Good seat, though - dead center in an upper balcony seat at the somewhat small Cadillac Palace.

Starting in 97, I use to see him every time he passed through Chicago and traveled to IN, WI and MI to see him throughout the early to mid 2000's  - now I see him about every 2 or 3 tours - it depends on the venue his playing.

Since about 2006 or so, I always say it's the last time.

I didn't catch any of the AmericanaramA shows - but have caught a few of his baseball park shows -- they are nice because kids are free.

Glad you enjoyed it, and hope others did as well. I gave it an entire 45 seconds of my attention before clicking away from it...and wish I could have those 45 seconds back.

Glad you enjoyed it, and hope others did as well. I gave it an entire 45 seconds of my attention before clicking away from it...and wish I could have those 45 seconds back.

Is your time that valuable that you can't watch more than 45 seconds of a new Bob Dylan video? Relax and watch it. You might like it. Or not. I thought it was a hoot.