The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Listening to DylanRadio.com this morning and the played Dylan's version of Restless Farewell from Sinatra's 80th birthday tribute -- great rendition. Heading on southern road trip this evening -- will listen to Shadows again - at the very least it may help put the kiddo's to sleep.  Do enjoy the cd, though.

Video of Restless Farewell performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44DBpIyAh0

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah that performance is breathtaking. Sinatra requested that tune, so it is told.

yep, everyone did a sinatra tune but 'mr frank' wanted to hear that one. and after the day frank passed, bob played it again as one-off in 1998

I wish I could work up enough interest in this new album to go buy it.

On the off topic there are more music docs coming out than anyone can ever watch in one lifetime.  This is a good thing in one way, because the number of seminal figures that will die in the next few years is going to be monumental.  There is a Doug Sahm doc that is coming out soon, a worthy topic.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw Dylan last night at the beautiful Orpheum in Memphis. The intermission was rather long, but I thought he & the band were spot on - a solid show.

Read that he has been playing Autumn Leaves, in addition to Stay with Me. How did Autumn play out with the crowd. (assuming he played it in Memphis)

Read that he has been playing Autumn Leaves, in addition to Stay with Me. How did Autumn play out with the crowd. (assuming he played it in Memphis)

He sounded good & clear playing the new songs, Autum Leaves was received very well by the crowd.

I sang Autumn Leaves for a choir audition in high school. I was terrible.

Maybe this whole thing will spark a new interest in vocalists (and real songs).  I guess there isn't much else to go back to that hasn't already been re-examined. 

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if he plays one of his classics, or goes with something off his recent album for Dave. He's been playing Stay with Me and Autumn Leaves live, and both would seem to fit the context along with several other Shadows songs. Almost makes too much sense, so I'll predict he plays Rainy Day Women.

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

The band played that for Norm MacDonald's intro and outro music the other night. I imagine Norm requested it. Dylan likes Norm too, so I suppose it is possible that Dylan plays it as well.

Well, Bob threw us a bit of a curveball tonight, but I would have expected nothing less! I would have hoped for a classic, but this ain't about me (or us). I'm still happy that the man still gets out there and does his thing.

My wife joked that he looked like an old lady who had no idea where she was. Yeah, it's cool that he did something, but really?

He did look very uncomfortable. Maybe if he had a guitar around his neck he might have been more in command of the stage?

Dylan seemed nervous. Uncertain of his cue to come back in after the pedal steel solo, grabbing the mic a few times as if he want to jump back in. Great performance though. Nerves maybe due to it being the first time he has performed the song live, I believe, and first time on TV in quite a while.