The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm old and these folks are all my old heros, but maybe it is time for them to have a serious re-evaluation of their careers.  It's not like all of them can't stay home and play by themselves. They all are worth plenty of money.  (I do have a ticket to see Stevie Wonder though.)  A musical tribute to Paul McCartney sounds like a terrible idea all the way around, but that's just me.

LouieB

I was wondering why Neil Young was mentioned in the liner notes. And then I recalled reading something like this online a few years ago:

The Hollow Horn boot Mixin' Up The Medicine is a copy of the safety tape made by Garth Hudson, this tape eventually fell into the the hands of Neil Young who gave one track back to Dylan's people for the Movie I'm Not There.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone comes across a good deal on the Complete Basement Tapes set, please, let me know!

To me, I think it would be more reasonable in the $50-$60 range - that is sight unseen.

I don't think were any super great deals on it during Black Friday.

Look like Bob is taking a page from Neil:

Bob Dylan's new studio album, Shadows In The Night, will be released on February 3, 2015.

Of the album, Bob Dylan commented, “It was a real privilege to make this album. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but was never brave enough to approach 30-piece complicated arrangements and refine them down for a 5-piece band. That's the key to all these performances. We knew these songs extremely well. It was all done live. Maybe one or two takes. No overdubbing. No vocal booths. No headphones. No separate tracking, and, for the most part, mixed as it was recorded. I don't see myself as covering these songs in any way. They've been covered enough. Buried, as a matter a fact. What me and my band are basically doing is uncovering them. Lifting them out of the grave and bringing them into the light of day.”

SHADOWS IN THE NIGHT TRACK LISTING:

1.  I'm A Fool To Want You
   2.  The Night We Called It A Day
   3.  Stay With Me
   4.  Autumn Leaves
   5.  Why Try to Change Me Now
   6.  Some Enchanted Evening
   7.  Full Moon And Empty Arms
   8.  Where Are You?
   9.  What'll I Do
   10.  That Lucky Old Sun

I am assuming his touring band will be backing him -- which is a good thing. Nice to see that it was done live, too. Their take on Stay With Me was really something in a live setting. Always loved That Lucky Old Sun.

Threw on his Christmas CD on the way to cut down our Christmas tree this past weekend -- my five year old was disappointed that he didn't cover Jingle Bells.

Threw on his Christmas CD on the way to cut down our Christmas tree this past weekend -- my five year old was disappointed that he didn't cover Jingle Bells.

Kind of hard to imagine the current Howlin' Wolf/Louie Armstrong version of Bob singing Jingle Bells... I guess it would be pretty funny, though!

On the other hand, Dylan's Christmas tunes can't be much worse than this:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-perrys-merry-christmas

Bob's next next album, featuring even older songs:

The Big, Big Sleep (a.k.a. Songs Nobody Wants to Hear, Least of All By Dylan)

1. Clementine

2. Star Spangled Banner

3. Hellhound on My Trail

4. Camptown Races

5. Old Folks At Home

6. Oh Shenandoah

7. Jelly Roll Blues

8. When Johnny Comes Marching Home

9. Goodnight Irene

I am probably the only Dylan fan who looks more forward to the hear to the Shadows in the Night record then I am the Basement Tape release -- which I am a still on the wait-list  for the 2 disc set from the library. 

Yeah --- after I hear both, I may have a different opinion.

I kinda know what I am getting with the Basement Tapes, though --- the Basement Tapes never has appealed to me as much as his other output. I don't have any illusions the standards set is going to be better the Basement Tapes, though - but it's something new and different from him.

Hell over the past couple of years, I have listened to Dylan's Christmas album more than I have his Basement Tapes or A Tree with Roots.

I do love playing the Basement Tape songs on guitar though---mostly because they are easy and fun to play/sing.