The Most Important Band in America

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Weakerthans

They're Canadian (Winnipeg) ;).

Good choice though.

Depending on how you define "important," I would argue that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is the most important band in America. Certainly they get more hype and media coverage than any other American band. When Bruce talks, people listen. I'm not a big fan, personally, but his influence is undeniable.

WILCO: The Essential Interviews

by John Luerssen

Description:

Collecting the most significant and revelatory media interactions of their first thirteen years,

This has been called into question, so I wondered who, if not Wilco, could be the most important. I haven't got a clue what the reviewer was using as criteria.

That reads to me like a blurb to help sell the book.

Isn't Canada a part of America? :P

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to make that comment.

Phish is probably one of the more influential bands that is still active. I can't back this up with facts, but I believe the example they set with shows like Clifford Ball, or whatever they called those shows, there probabyl would not be a Bonaroo, Coachella, etc.

The Beatles or Bob Dylan. There's very few that I would call important, as in having a profound effect on the majority of Americans and changing the future in a broader context than just music.

I think for the past 30 years or so, you'd have to throw the Sugarhill Gang into the discussion. With "Rapper's Delight" they started rap music on its road to be one of -- if not the -- most important musical movements of the past 30 years. And did they coin the phrase "rap" too?

I think for the past 30 years or so, you'd have to throw the Sugarhill Gang into the discussion. With "Rapper's Delight" they started rap music on its road to be one of -- if not the -- most important musical movements of the past 30 years. And did they coin the phrase "rap" too?
The use of the word to describe quick speech or repartee long predates the musical form, meaning originally "to hit". The word had been used in British English since the 16th century, and specifically meaning "to say" since the 18th. It was part of the African American dialect of English in the 1960s meaning "to converse", and very soon after that in its present usage as a term denoting the musical style.
The White Stripes*

*Assuming the Conan appearance means they're back.

Hadn't heard about this. Got a link?