The Most Important Band in America

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for the past 30 years or so, you'd have to throw the Sugarhill Gang into the discussion. With "Rapper's Delight" they started rap music on its road to be one of -- if not the -- most important musical movements of the past 30 years. And did they coin the phrase "rap" too?

Going on a similar argument I would say REM. Sure maybe not so influential in the last decade but they helped spearhead College Radio and Indie music and made the path for bands like Pixies, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Nirvana etc...

Right, but was it used to describe a musical style before "Rapper's Delight"? That's what i mean; that they essentially named the genre.

I think you're right. But, in an effort to maybe find out for sure I looked around. Of course I didn't find anything definitive. But I did find this ridiculous gem for marketers. (No Offense to anyone in the marketing biz).

Hip Hop and Rap Genres

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/arts/mus...TRIPES_BRF.html

Yep, Friday night. Also listed on Conan's site.

Sweet. Let's hope they bring the house down like in past Conan appearances.

:thumbup

Err, WTF. This video is now "not available in my country". :-(

This type of discussion always leads to the next question, "Can Bob Dylan be counted as a band?" Most important artist, songwriter, guitarist then Dylan is certainly in the discussion, but I think Dylan is disqualified here because he is not a band.

Beyond that, I don't think I really care who the most important band in America is. It's all relative to me.

I was half-joking when I said The Beatles. Only because I hear more of them in most *good* bands today than I do any other. I assume that's what was meant by "important." But I assume the original poster meant important bands from today.

As for whether The Beatles or Dylan have the crown, I say it's a push. Maybe Dylan by a nose.

In all honesty I think the bands we consider to be the most "important", excluding Wilco, aren't from America. Radiohead, U2, (arguably I guess but I think so) Coldplay, Arcade Fire etc. I think the White Stripes are for sure in this bunch and really the only other band that might come close is My Morning Jacket or something like that.

The most important band in America, as I understand the question, must be "a band alive today", so it can't be the Beatles. Come on.

A band that seems important today for American people, fresh, promising and uncompromising, intelligent and interesting?

Don't know...