Obama on Fiscal Responsibility

You quoted me as acknowledging that Dodd is guilty of a whole lot of things and then piled on me as if I was defending him as being clean. But being guilty of one thing does not make him guilty of everything. He did something wrong but that doesn't mean it's fair to blame him for things that he is not responsible for. Get a grip and focus a bit, friend.

When all that shit with Dodd went down the other day I was pretty disappointed, as I'm sure you wre as well. Not shocked, but still....

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Takeover

The global economic crisis isn't about money - it's about power. How Wall Street insiders are using the bailout to stage a revolution

MATT TAIBBI

"So it's time to admit it: We're fools, protagonists in a kind of gruesome comedy about the marriage of greed and stupidity. And the worst part about it is that we're still in denial

Obama promised no Lobbyists would be in his administration.

Geithner has a Goldman Sachs Lobbyist on his staff.

Geither's department pushed to strip out of the legislation limits on bonuses.

Goldman Sachs is collecting huge 10 digit payoffs through AIG that Geithner is passing out.

Geithner is going to include taking all the FDIC insurance money and buy toxic assets with it ... that money also goes to Wall Street . Next time there is a run on a bank, panic will likely spread to all banks within 24 hours... because Geithner took the FDIC insurance money.

I know insiders will make hundreds of billions from Geithner's ill conceived plan that is designed to make a few people rich.

Spitzer was shut down by the Feds for a reason, and we see the Goldman Sachs/AIG rip off continue.

Do you understand if this goes through then there are no funds to cover banks that fail!!??? And they will and that means all your money is not safe. I URGE everyone to call your Senators and Congress reps and demand that they vote no and not allow this theft of the country to continue.

And China is effed too, if we crap out on what we owe them.

And China is effed too, if we crap out on what we owe them.

I don't think so. H Clinton put up actual physical infrastructure in this country as collateral for the loans last month, which is the only way China would loan us anything more at that point. You must remember the news clips of her begging for the money. If we default, China simply comes in and takes possession of our assets they hold literally. They have not been buying bonds for 2 weeks now and the FED is compensating for it thereby destroying the dollar in the process. At this rate we will be out of options and completely fucked by summertime.

I've tried saying the bailouts are the biggest scam in history, but I expect most of the population will realize that too late when the money is all gone and we have nothing to show for it but some well paid executives.

China Gains Key Assets In Spate of Purchases

Oil, Minerals Are Among Acquisitions Worldwide

SHANGHAI -- Chinese companies have been on a shopping spree in the past month, snapping up tens of billions of dollars' worth of key assets in Iran, Brazil, Russia, Venezuela, Australia and France in a global fire sale set off by the financial crisis.

The deals have allowed China to lock up supplies of oil, minerals, metals and other strategic natural resources it needs to continue to fuel its growth. The sheer scope of the agreements marks a shift in global finance, roiling energy markets and feeding worries about the future availability and prices of those commodities in other countries that compete for them, including the United States.

Just a few months ago, many countries were greeting such overtures from China with suspicion. Today, as corporations and banks in other parts of the world find themselves reluctant or unable to give out money to distressed companies, cash-rich China has become a major force driving new lending and investment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...usiness/economy

I don't think so. H Clinton put up actual physical infrastruture in this country as collatoral. If we default China simply comes in and takes possession of our cities literally. They have not been buying bonds for 2 weeks now and the FED is compensating for it thereby destroying the dollar in the process. At this rate we will be out of options and completely fucked by summertime.

China Gains Key Assets In Spate of Purchases

Oil, Minerals Are Among Acquisitions Worldwide

SHANGHAI -- Chinese companies have been on a shopping spree in the past month, snapping up tens of billions of dollars' worth of key assets in Iran, Brazil, Russia, Venezuela, Australia and France in a global fire sale set off by the financial crisis.

The deals have allowed China to lock up supplies of oil, minerals, metals and other strategic natural resources it needs to continue to fuel its growth. The sheer scope of the agreements marks a shift in global finance, roiling energy markets and feeding worries about the future availability and prices of those commodities in other countries that compete for them, including the United States.

Just a few months ago, many countries were greeting such overtures from China with suspicion. Today, as corporations and banks in other parts of the world find themselves reluctant or unable to give out money to distressed companies, cash-rich China has become a major force driving new lending and investment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...usiness/economy

I knew I should have studied Chinese language in school. Would help when dealing with our new overlords.

Glad that futureage was here while I was away. I think we are on the same page. I like some of what Obama is doing, but when it comes to our economy, he's got it wrong. Just hoping he can realize this sooner than later. I think he is a huge part in correcting oursleves before it gets too late.

I liked this in Thomas Friedman's column Saturday:

If you want to guarantee that America becomes a mediocre nation, then just keep vilifying every public figure struggling to find a way out of this crisis who stumbles once — like Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner or A.I.G.’s $1-a-year fill-in C.E.O., Ed Liddy — and you’ll ensure that no capable person enlists in government. You will ensure that every bank that has taken public money will try to get rid of it as fast it can, so as not to come under scrutiny, even though that would weaken their balance sheets and make them less able to lend money. And you will ensure that we’ll never get out of this banking crisis, because the solution depends on getting private money funds to team up with the government to buy up toxic assets — and fund managers are growing terrified of any collaboration with government.

And this too:

Right now we have an absence of inspirational leadership. From business we hear about institutions too big to fail — no matter how reckless. From bankers we hear about contracts too sacred to break — no matter how inappropriate. And from our immature elected officials we hear about how it was all “the other guy’s fault.” I’ve never talked to more people in one week who told me, “You know, I listen to the news, and I get really depressed.”

Well, help may finally be on the way: one reason we’ve been sidetracked talking about bonuses is because the big issue — the real issue — the president’s comprehensive plan to remove the toxic assets from our ailing banks, which is the key to our economic recovery, has taken a long time to hammer out. So all kinds of lesser issues and clowns have ballooned in importance and only confused people in the vacuum. Hopefully, that plan will be out by Monday, and hopefully the president will pull the country together behind it, and hopefully the lawmakers who have to approve it will remember that this is not a time for politics as usual — and that our country, alas, is not too big to fail. Hopefully ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/opinion/22friedman.html?em

US Housing Rescue Threatened by Banks

" Washington - The U.S. Treasury Department's effort to help 5 million homeowners win reworked mortgages, part of a plan to stabilize housing, could fall flat if Wall Street does not relax its interest in the properties.

While the initiative empowers Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to refinance borrowers whose homes have lost value in recent years, big banks own a small stake in many of those loans and could effectively block the plan."

"In the next few weeks, the Treasury and large finance companies may engage in a game of chicken over second liens and other details of the housing rescue plan laid out by the Obama administration on February 18.

Unresolved issues concerning second liens was partly what doomed the Hope for Homeowners program,which was crafted last summer with the aim of saving 400,000 troubled borrowers from foreclosure. Only a few dozen homeowners have received help."

http://www.truthout.org/032409L

"The Treasury Department has learned that AIG recently sought significant quantities of gold from Africa." --Timothy Geithner

We were warned about this...

"The Government should create, issue, and circulate all the currency and credits needed to satisfy the spending power of the Government and the buying power of consumers. By the adoption of these principles, the taxpayers will be saved immense sums of interest. Money will cease to be master and become the servant of humanity." -Abraham Lincoln

http://www.davidforalaska.com/Money_Changers.htm

The federal reserve is not federal and it has no reserves - It is a ponzi scheme similar to Madoff's scam.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

Obama goes back on tax pledges?

What do you guys think. I know some people who are saying Obama was full of shit during the election by saying "I will not raised any taxes on people making less than 250,000", but that seems a bit literal minded. I think it's pretty safe to say he was implying and referring to income, payroll, and the like, not consumption taxes.

Technically, yes, he's going back on his promises. But I think it's being way too literal to get mad.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

Obama goes back on tax pledges?

What do you guys think. I know some people who are saying Obama was full of shit during the election by saying "I will not raised any taxes on people making less than 250,000", but that seems a bit literal minded. I think it's pretty safe to say he was implying and referring to income, payroll, and the like, not consumption taxes.

Technically, yes, he's going back on his promises. But I think it's being way too literal to get mad.

Yeah, he was obviously talking about income taxes during the campaign.

I'm pretty sure he voted for the tobacco tax increase the first time around when Dubya vetoed it. I don't think he ever changed his position on the S-CHIP bill.

That's what I thought too. I had heard him talk about this before too.